What's new
What's new

Anyone using something similar to Microsoft Visio that can import/export DXF?

The Dude

Hot Rolled
I have been a faithful Visio user for many years; even though the evil empire (MS) bought it and gradually started ruining it but it is now to the point where it is really difficult to use. Trying to "snap and glue" shapes can be one of the most frustrating experiences that leaves you wanting to smash the keyboard. I have been looking for an alternative but can't find one key feature: need to import and export at least DXF and hopefully DWG. To be clear, Visio is a "diagramming" software that is typically used for flow charts, simple layouts, etc. But it is incredibly fast (or at least it used to be) for making something quick and simple that just needs to be laser cut. I am also getting ready to do some serious facility layout work (which again, used to "rock" but the glitches are killing me).

I've searched pretty exhaustively and all the alternatives (Lucidchart, Ardoq, ConceptDraw, Creately, Gliffy, etc.) DO NOT apparently handle DXF import/export which is an absolute must. I do use Draftsight (free 2-D CAD) and find it suitable for more detailed items but it's slower and not as easy to use.

Anyone have anything worth checking out?

Um... why not use Autocad*? I have never used Visio, so I can't speak to how that works, BUT I am currently using Autocad to do process planning and flow charts. It is not the best, but you have direct access to DXF/DWG, you can import pdf's, most image files, not to mention all the cad specific items/functions, and you can export pdf's when you are all done to print, or email, etc. It might be (will be) a pain to get started prolly, but once you create blocks and stuff you can drag/drop/scale/insert etc into all your drawings...

*Autocad may be too much cad (too expensive) for what you want to do, maybe look into Autocad LT too...

AutoCAD Products | Find The Right CAD Program For You

In case you want to have a looksee ^

Um... why not use Autocad*?

I don't think A-cad would have any advantage over Draftsight (internet reviews call them similar for 2D work). Visio (in the earlier versions) was just so easy to use. It's still "easy" but they just kept "upgrading" it with features that have over-burdened it. The net is pretty full of bad reviews for Visio 2013 (i.e. what did they do???).

My fall-back position will be to try using Draftsight for the layout work but I can see where it would be less productive for doing work that can essentially be "eye-balled" (i.e. much looser tolerances).

The Dude

Not diagramming specifically, but inkscape might be an option if you just want a simple vector drawing environment with dxf export.

Thanks, I did check it out and it appears great for the graphics artistry field but I think it's going to be limited for diagramming (which is my own very generic term). I have a feeling I'm not going to get a solid recommendation unless someone has used Visio which is a very niche product. It's just so great for doing drag & drop, resizing, aligning, scaling, annotations, layers, pattern fills, etc. It also does "good enough" dimensioning as well as offering good grid, snap & glue, etc. type features. Why did Microsoft have to ruin a good thing?! :bawling:

I don't think A-cad would have any advantage over Draftsight (internet reviews call them similar for 2D work). Visio (in the earlier versions) was just so easy to use. It's still "easy" but they just kept "upgrading" it with features that have over-burdened it. The net is pretty full of bad reviews for Visio 2013 (i.e. what did they do???).

My fall-back position will be to try using Draftsight for the layout work but I can see where it would be less productive for doing work that can essentially be "eye-balled" (i.e. much looser tolerances).

The Dude

Thanks, I did check it out and it appears great for the graphics artistry field but I think it's going to be limited for diagramming (which is my own very generic term). I have a feeling I'm not going to get a solid recommendation unless someone has used Visio which is a very niche product. It's just so great for doing drag & drop, resizing, aligning, scaling, annotations, layers, pattern fills, etc. It also does "good enough" dimensioning as well as offering good grid, snap & glue, etc. type features. Why did Microsoft have to ruin a good thing?! :bawling:

I see your point. However, is it feasible to download the free trial of Acad or AcadLT and have someone who knows it get you going on a project? You can certainly 'eyeball' stuff in an Acad layout if you are just placing flow chart graphs and whatnot....

Can you not run an older version of Visio in compatibility mode on a modern computer?
LOL, that's exactly what I did on my home PC; got a version of 2003 on eBay for about $50. There are a few things I'd give up but not enough to really worry about (I think the 2003 version still does dimensions). It's not a bad suggestion; it's mostly that it seems so "insane" to have to do that (given what we paid for 2013) but I will add it to the list of options! Doing it for my home PC was a no-brainer since it had no previous version on it.

The Dude

I'm a long-time CorelDraw user. CD has had DXF compatibility for decades, although you will want to test that its flavor of DXF is compatible with the laser cutter you want to use.

CD is extremely mature, and somewhat less niche than Visio. It's aimed at the general graphic arts market, but is entirely competent for diagramming. It has outstanding layering, grouping, snapping and dynamic guide capabilities, a few "smart" connectors, but very little in the way of Visio "smart shapes", and absolutely nothing like the huge Visio libraries of hundreds or even thousands of specific pieces of equipment.

These days CorelDraw is only offered as part of the Corel Graphics Suite (CGS). This is the tool kit I spend my personal money on instead of feeding Adobe...

I'm a long-time CorelDraw user. CD has had DXF compatibility for decades, although you will want to test that its flavor of DXF is compatible with the laser cutter you want to use.

CD is extremely mature, and somewhat less niche than Visio. It's aimed at the general graphic arts market, but is entirely competent for diagramming. It has outstanding layering, grouping, snapping and dynamic guide capabilities, a few "smart" connectors, but very little in the way of Visio "smart shapes", and absolutely nothing like the huge Visio libraries of hundreds or even thousands of specific pieces of equipment.

These days CorelDraw is only offered as part of the Corel Graphics Suite (CGS). This is the tool kit I spend my personal money on instead of feeding Adobe...

Yeah, without the layout capability it would be very handicapped for us. Even though we use the DXF export feature in Visio mainly for getting parts laser cut, we do use it on occasion to transfer back and forth between other systems.

Thanks for the suggestion though,
The Dude

Back