Autodesk fusion 360 vs mastercam - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    730
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    159
    Likes (Received)
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    ugh, these threads..

    Fusion is primarily a product development platform that contains CAM as a tool to aid in that process (along with many others, simulation, rendering, sculpting, etc); it may or may not fit your business model.

    MasterCAM is primarily a CAM platform with a little CAD to aid in the process of CAM; it may or may not fit your business model.

    They're different. If you can't figure out which fits your situation, you have bigger issues than selecting a CAM package.
    To your point....

    I'm a startup and was using CamBam which is a sub par hobby cam software. I found fusion and it has helped me tremendously. Long term, I plan to move to Mastercam. Not because I feel it is better, but because it is not cloud based.

    For what I have experienced so far with Fusion, I'd stay with it until it gave me practical reason to move on, but I don't want my information stored on a cloud. It is no one's business and has no explanation to be there. What is the benefit? How is it more efficient? Etc... You can shoot holes through this cloud based logic all day long, but it is a legal way to collect data. With that said, for the time being, with opportunity cost considered, it was the right next step for me.

  2. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    tempe,arizona,usa
    Posts
    1,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    127
    Likes (Received)
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy1966 View Post
    To your point....

    I'm a startup and was using CamBam which is a sub par hobby cam software. I found fusion and it has helped me tremendously. Long term, I plan to move to Mastercam. Not because I feel it is better, but because it is not cloud based.

    For what I have experienced so far with Fusion, I'd stay with it until it gave me practical reason to move on, but I don't want my information stored on a cloud. It is no one's business and has no explanation to be there. What is the benefit? How is it more efficient? Etc... You can shoot holes through this cloud based logic all day long, but it is a legal way to collect data. With that said, for the time being, with opportunity cost considered, it was the right next step for me.
    Instead of MasterCAM just get SolidWorks and HSMWorks, you've been using the CAM in Fusion so it is the same in HSMWorks, you'll get both a great design and CAM in one UI, so learning SW is the only thing the CAM side you know.

    also remember SW has about 7 CAM software that are gold partners that run inside of it and as of SW2018 they include 2.5 axis CAM for free, aka CamWorks.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    237
    Likes (Received)
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    Instead of MasterCAM just get SolidWorks and HSMWorks, you've been using the CAM in Fusion so it is the same in HSMWorks, you'll get both a great design and CAM in one UI, so learning SW is the only thing the CAM side you know.

    also remember SW has about 7 CAM software that are gold partners that run inside of it and as of SW2018 they include 2.5 axis CAM for free, aka CamWorks.
    Or InventorHSM; will be a much more linear progression moving from Fusion to Inventor; similar CAD, near identical CAM, but drop the cloud.. plus, they're pretty focused on making data translation between the two literally seamless with Anycad.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    186
    Likes (Received)
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Or InventorHSM; will be a much more linear progression moving from Fusion to Inventor; similar CAD, near identical CAM, but drop the cloud.. plus, they're pretty focused on making data translation between the two literally seamless with Anycad.
    I would agree with Rob on this one. If I did not already have 11 years worth of cad data in SW and were starting today I would go the inventor/HSM route.

    Now if subscription is an issue for you the you should not really look at any ADSK products.

    Not sure of your product or work, but worth considering what others you work with will be using. Most all of my associates use SW I know there is anyCAD but working with native models for design collaboration is nice.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    565
    Likes (Received)
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    I would agree with Rob on this one. If I did not already have 11 years worth of cad data in SW and were starting today I would go the inventor/HSM route.

    Now if subscription is an issue for you the you should not really look at any ADSK products.

    Not sure of your product or work, but worth considering what others you work with will be using. Most all of my associates use SW I know there is anyCAD but working with native models for design collaboration is nice.
    Interesting - I used Inventor professionally for a number of years, and have used SolidWorks professionally since. I would take SolidWorks over Inventor any day of the week, for any task I can see myself doing. For whatever reason, I just really prefer the workflow of SolidWorks, and the ability to customize workflow within it.

    I've used HSM Works, but have been giving some real thought to trying on of the other CAM add-ins for SolidWorks. I'm not a huge fan of MasterCAM, and there seem to be some other really good options.

    For the record, I've used Fusion enough to have a good feel for it, and for a free/really cheap full-featured program, I find it to be exceptional. That said, if you're in this business professionally you shouldn't have a problem with spending the money for a real CAD/CAM package.

  7. Likes Pete Deal liked this post
  8. #26
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    237
    Likes (Received)
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny SolidWorks View Post
    Interesting - I used Inventor professionally for a number of years, and have used SolidWorks professionally since. I would take SolidWorks over Inventor any day of the week, for any task I can see myself doing. For whatever reason, I just really prefer the workflow of SolidWorks, and the ability to customize workflow within it.

    I've used HSM Works, but have been giving some real thought to trying on of the other CAM add-ins for SolidWorks. I'm not a huge fan of MasterCAM, and there seem to be some other really good options.

    For the record, I've used Fusion enough to have a good feel for it, and for a free/really cheap full-featured program, I find it to be exceptional. That said, if you're in this business professionally you shouldn't have a problem with spending the money for a real CAD/CAM package.
    I'd put heavy emphasis on the recommendation of Inventor coming as a logical choice stemming from the existing usage of Fusion mixed with the lower cost when compared with Solidworks+CAM costs. I still greatly prefer Solidworks + HSMWorks for a variety of reasons.

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Elyria Ohio
    Posts
    1,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2626
    Likes (Received)
    518

    Default

    What I have found to be THE FORMULA FOR SUCCESS for whatever it is you are doing or trying to do, is "do what makes sense for you".

    We are a small prototyping shop with a lot of older equipment. It is a constant struggle to meet payroll and keep the machines repaired enough so that we can make parts. So for us, I am not going to drop $12k-$15k for a CAM package. For us Fusion is a godsend. I would much rather spend $5k to fix a spindle or make some more progress on our building than to spend it on a software.

    Sure, other stories are going to be different and that is exactly my point. You have to do what makes sense for you.

    If/when we hit the point of having the surplus at the end of the year to decide how we want to expand then maybe we'll make the decision to go with Gibbs or Master CAM. For now I am sticking with Fusion. We like it and I am impressed with the surfacing quality we are getting from it. Some here say that it leaves a lot to be desired. I cannot speak to that but so far it has met our needs.

  10. Likes DavidScott, Johnny SolidWorks liked this post
  11. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    565
    Likes (Received)
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    I'd put heavy emphasis on the recommendation of Inventor coming as a logical choice stemming from the existing usage of Fusion mixed with the lower cost when compared with Solidworks+CAM costs. I still greatly prefer Solidworks + HSMWorks for a variety of reasons.
    Maybe I'm just not remembering things well, or it has been too long, but I remember HSMWorks being very similar (if not identical) in both SolidWorks and Inventor. Are they really different and I'm just not remembering correctly?

  12. #29
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    237
    Likes (Received)
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny SolidWorks View Post
    Maybe I'm just not remembering things well, or it has been too long, but I remember HSMWorks being very similar (if not identical) in both SolidWorks and Inventor. Are they really different and I'm just not remembering correctly?
    CAM wise they're very similar, except for the features that are in HSMWorks but not in Inventor yet.. Primarily, I prefer the CAD side of Solidworks, but admittedly I've opened Inventor just a handful of times, and each time was incredibly brief.

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    186
    Likes (Received)
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny SolidWorks View Post
    Interesting - I used Inventor professionally for a number of years, and have used SolidWorks professionally since. I would take SolidWorks over Inventor any day of the week, for any task I can see myself doing. For whatever reason, I just really prefer the workflow of SolidWorks, and the ability to customize workflow within it.

    I've used HSM Works, but have been giving some real thought to trying on of the other CAM add-ins for SolidWorks. I'm not a huge fan of MasterCAM, and there seem to be some other really good options.

    For the record, I've used Fusion enough to have a good feel for it, and for a free/really cheap full-featured program, I find it to be exceptional. That said, if you're in this business professionally you shouldn't have a problem with spending the money for a real CAD/CAM package.
    I agree I like SW work flow much better, I think that Inventor is more than capable for most uses. I have only used it a couple of times but thought it was pretty similar mind set. If I had not used SW first maybe I would prefer Inventor. However from a cost stand point, if I can use either one equally well why spend $6K for SW then $1500/year and then pay $2460/year to autodesk just to get HSMWorks since inventor is in there whether you use it on not.

    So either $6K up front and then $3960 each year for SW + HSMWorks or $0 up front and $2460/year for Inventor + HSM

  14. Likes rlockwood, Johnny SolidWorks liked this post
  15. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    173
    Likes (Received)
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    I agree I like SW work flow much better, I think that Inventor is more than capable for most uses
    I have heard this from several others as well so maybe there is more to it.

    With the announcement of SW 2018 having CAM i am going to buy a seat. I am just waiting to see what they come up with for promotions in December. For various reasons based on my experience Autodesk is a company that I don't like and no comments that I have read on this forum (not this thread) have done anything to change my mind. Based on their history I don't believe that this freeish fusion thing will continue. I think they are going to get a big user base and then put the screws to them. I have tinkered with fusion but I can't see buying into fusion when I believe it is a bait and switch scheme.

  16. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    173
    Likes (Received)
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    $6K for SW then $1500/year and then pay $2460/year to autodesk just to get HSMWorks since inventor is in there whether you use it on not.

    So either $6K up front and then $3960 each year for SW + HSMWorks or $0 up front and $2460/year for Inventor + HSM
    csharp: My SW quote was $1500 for the "initial" yearly service and $600 for the CAM professional "initial" yearly service. Above you had a few different numbers. One of them was $6k (purch) and $3960 per year- Is the $3960 the yearly service? Does it go up after the initial?

  17. #33
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    237
    Likes (Received)
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    csharp: My SW quote was $1500 for the "initial" yearly service and $600 for the CAM professional "initial" yearly service. Above you had a few different numbers. One of them was $6k (purch) and $3960 per year- Is the $3960 the yearly service? Does it go up after the initial?
    His numbers assume the purchase of a seat of Solidworks from Dassault, and the HSMWorks CAM plugin for Solidworks from Autodesk, and maintenance on each. The CAM that Dassault is now including is essentially CAMWorks, which is quite different than HSMWorks, despite their similar naming convention.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •