What's new
What's new

Autodesk HSMworks Forum

They probably won't be able to change over until the new tool library is complete or they upgrade to the IronCore platform. :stirthepot:

They probably won't be able to change over until the new tool library is complete or they upgrade to the IronCore platform. :stirthepot:

Sometimes I think you're a jerk.

But then I realize how you've never been forced to use CAMWorks.
suicide.gif

Edit: oh yeah, and it's back for now, too.

Sometimes I think you're a jerk.

But then I realize how you've never been forced to use CAMWorks.
suicide.gif

Edit: oh yeah, and it's back for now, too.

I don't care if you think it all the time to he honest. But then I realize how you have never paid for a cam system out of your own pocket and watch it come to a stand still. I was cleaning out emails tonight as the machines were running and came across the email from the first web meeting with Al on things missing from turning that were pretty basic. It was dated 3 years ago this week. They are still not there.

As for CAMWorks, I used it for over a year as the only cam product the company I work had a the time. Was one of the earilest version. I went to Cadimensions in Rochester NY for training. I set up the technology database and made parts it was not great but it ran their machines. You should not make assumptions about what other have or have not used.

I don't care if you think it all the time to he honest. But then I realize how you have never paid for a cam system out of your own pocket and watch it come to a stand still. I was cleaning out emails tonight as the machines were running and came across the email from the first web meeting with Al on things missing from turning that were pretty basic. It was dated 3 years ago this week. They are still not there.

As for CAMWorks, I used it for over a year as the only cam product the company I work had a the time. Was one of the earilest version. I went to Cadimensions in Rochester NY for training. I set up the technology database and made parts it was not great but it ran their machines. You should not make assumptions about what other have or have not used.

I swear you told me you'd previewed it but never used it. At any rate, perhaps it was better in comparison back then. Sure feels like a headache now.

I was also trying to be a bit lighthearted but apparently I struck a chord. :fight:

And you're right, I may have not paid for a system personally and watched it fail to meet my expectations, but I've also struggled through several in which official support also failed in their goals and be unapologetic. Big name CAM systems that have been around for two decades or more. All I can do is argue to use the least shitty option that I can for the work in front of me. Sorry if that's the one that peed in your cereal.

My ±:stirthepot:

I swear you told me you'd previewed it but never used it. At any rate, perhaps it was better in comparison back then. Sure feels like a headache now.

I was also trying to be a bit lighthearted but apparently I struck a chord. :fight:

And you're right, I may have not paid for a system personally and watched it fail to meet my expectations, but I've also struggled through several in which official support also failed in their goals and be unapologetic. Big name CAM systems that have been around for two decades or more. All I can do is argue to use the least shitty option that I can for the work in front of me. Sorry if that's the one that peed in your cereal.

My ±:stirthepot:

No, I doubt it was any better back then. The MS Access Tech data base got corrupted about every other day.

The only way in which it struck a cord is you obviously had a very bad experience with CAMWorks. I take you at your word that it is justifiable and that the product really does suck along with poor support. You take many opportunities to steer people away from the product and bash it when you can. I had the same experience with HSMWorks Turning and in me doing the same somehow makes me a jerk. Seems like a little double standard.

I typed out a big long thing and deleted it.. Anyway..

It's easy to forget that Lonnies work revolves heavily (almost exclusively, iirc) around turning, and that his HSMworks purchase was largely influenced by the then recent addition of turning coupled with promises and assumptions that it would be developed at a reasonable pace.. I think the vast majority of Autodesk CAM users fall into the opposite category, and turning was a free perk Autodesk decided to hand out. I think he was one of a small handful of people who ACTUALLY paid for HSM turning module directly, and also directly contributed to its now free status.

Anyway, I think this really heavily influences how you view HSMworks turning. To me, its never been something I NEEDED, just some extra tools that came in handy when I needed to program a turned part. When it no longer was capable of handling my needs, it was easy to walk away from, its not that powerful of a tool. It's been much harder to walk away on the milling side, so I'm much more empathetic these days.

But jeez, lighten up guys.

I typed out a big long thing and deleted it.. Anyway..

It's easy to forget that Lonnies work revolves heavily (almost exclusively, iirc) around turning, and that his HSMworks purchase was largely influenced by the then recent addition of turning coupled with promises and assumptions that it would be developed at a reasonable pace.. I think the vast majority of Autodesk CAM users fall into the opposite category, and turning was a free perk Autodesk decided to hand out. I think he was one of a small handful of people who ACTUALLY paid for HSM turning module directly, and also directly contributed to its now free status.

Anyway, I think this really heavily influences how you view HSMworks turning. To me, its never been something I NEEDED, just some extra tools that came in handy when I needed to program a turned part. When it no longer was capable of handling my needs, it was easy to walk away from, its not that powerful of a tool. It's been much harder to walk away on the milling side, so I'm much more empathetic these days.

But jeez, lighten up guys.

I'm all lightened up. I agree it is probably different for me. As I have said also, milling is simple one of the best for what I do. What really got to me was the constant mis-information being given. Just be up front about things.

I would argue that they are having some larger internal issues.

Julian Todd left and was obviously missed more than they thought he would be.
Anthony Graves left for a new opportunity which I think sounded a little strange.
It appears now that the Sr development manager has left. Tom Mortensen.

Julian Todd left and was obviously missed more than they thought he would be.
Anthony Graves left for a new opportunity which I think sounded a little strange.
It appears now that the Sr development manager has left. Tom Mortensen.

WTF? Over. :scratchchin::ack2:

EDIT - I should elaborate. Early on, against my judgement and previous experiences with AD spanning more than two decades ( almost three, now )and ranging from educational, hobbyist, and professional interactions, I drank the HSMWorks takeover / Fusion 360 introduction Kool-Aid and bought in. I actually believed what was being proffered, and the good things that were happening at the time made that easier to occur. There were a few bumps and stumbles in the beginning, but overall I was very pleasantly surprised with how responsive they were and how quickly things were being addressed.

And then almost suddenly... it all stopped and things seemed to actually go backwards to a point. And then a short while after, I started seeing the old AD I recognized and disliked...

Now, I am seeing things like the above ( I had not been paying attention for a while ) and it seems to start to make a whole lot more sense.

What a shame. It seems apparent now, that the majority of the impetus and direction was coming from a few, insightful, forward thinking people that are no longer involved. And, now that this is the current state, things are regressing to what they once were.

I thought things would run smooth when they made Al Whatmough head of product development of the Cam team. He was the person behind Inspertech Solidworks training and later teamed with Charles Davis. My impression of Al was that he is very talented and gives 100% in everthing he does. Maybe it is too much for 1 person.

WTF? Over. :scratchchin::ack2:

EDIT - I should elaborate. Early on, against my judgement and previous experiences with AD spanning more than two decades ( almost three, now )and ranging from educational, hobbyist, and professional interactions, I drank the HSMWorks takeover / Fusion 360 introduction Kool-Aid and bought in. I actually believed what was being proffered, and the good things that were happening at the time made that easier to occur. There were a few bumps and stumbles in the beginning, but overall I was very pleasantly surprised with how responsive they were and how quickly things were being addressed.

And then almost suddenly... it all stopped and things seemed to actually go backwards to a point. And then a short while after, I started seeing the old AD I recognized and disliked...

Now, I am seeing things like the above ( I had not been paying attention for a while ) and it seems to start to make a whole lot more sense.

What a shame. It seems apparent now, that the majority of the impetus and direction was coming from a few, insightful, forward thinking people that are no longer involved. And, now that this is the current state, things are regressing to what they once were.

I agree, the first year of ADSK was not too bad. The focus was on InventorHSM and Fusion which many expected. I think the wheels fell off around IMTS 2014. If I am not mistaken is roughly the time Julian left.

Anyone who has been involved with the product and participated in the forums can see the drop off in meaningful, high level topics being created on the HSMWorks forum. I used to enjoy reading discussion by Laurens, Rob, Greg, Lenny etc... A person could learn a lot and see their direct influence in the software. Those days are gone.

I thought things would run smooth when they made Al Whatmough head of product development of the Cam team. He was the person behind Inspertech Solidworks training and later teamed with Charles Davis. My impression of Al was that he is very talented and gives 100% in everthing he does. Maybe it is too much for 1 person.

I think you are correct Al is a great guy passionate about the software and works very hard at it. However I would have to assume some things are out of his control.

As for Charles, didn't he sell Nexgen? Did he see the writing on the wall also?

There was a technical issue during the move of the forums. The new move date is scheduled for March 4/5 time frame. I'll post a link ot the new forum once it's working.

I think you are correct Al is a great guy passionate about the software and works very hard at it. However I would have to assume some things are out of his control.

As for Charles, didn't he sell Nexgen? Did he see the writing on the wall also?

May be. I dealt with both of them before the "buyout" and had very positive experiences with both have only good things to say about each.

My ignorant opinion is that you are spot on with your supposition.

I guess I find it so disappointing because there was such an incredible momentum and potential that seems to have been pissed away. I can not shake the curiosity of what they would have accomplished were they still intact as a team, the aforementioned. I've only been that excited about the CAM world twice before. The last was after being introduced to PowerMill ( sadly which AD is already meddling with :angry: ) and the first was when SmartCAM originally came out and was setting the world on fire.

Sigh. Oh well. C'est la vie.

Hey, I still use SmartCAM all the time. ;) I had hoped to replace it with HSMWorks since the milling is awesome and the modern UI/UX is great. Have not be able to do so completely as of yet due to the lack of turning development. The oldest version of SmartCAM I ran was 11.5 they were ahead of their time at one point.

I thought they said Delcam was off on their own. What have they done with Powermill?

Hey, I still use SmartCAM all the time. ;) I had hoped to replace it with HSMWorks since the milling is awesome and the modern UI/UX is great. Have not be able to do so completely as of yet due to the lack of turning development. The oldest version of SmartCAM I ran was 11.5 they were ahead of their time at one point.

I agree, of course. :)
I started with them around v5 ( IIRC ) and stopped/moved on right after they shut down and still using v11.5. I still have the floppy install disks... Haha! :rolleyes5:

I thought they said Delcam was off on their own. What have they done with Powermill?

They've already started in on the licensing. I don't believe for one minute that they will avoid meddling with it. I firmly expect them to gut, destroy, and ultimately abandon it to suffer a withering death it in the end. Let's check back in 3 years and see where we are at. Hey? History supports my expectations.

My suspicion is that we will eventually see talented people leave the boys in Birmingham and shortly after see another start-up.

Enough of my negative views though. I honestly hope that I am dead wrong about all of this. AD is very large, and very powerful right now. I am hoping that they do good things for everyone with regard to continuing along.

I also hope to be dead wrong. I have never wanted to be soooooo wrong before. Changing is expensive and learning is a complete PIA. I have been casually looking for the last year and nothing is all that impressive enough to get me to drop SmartCAM. I have SmartCAM 2014.2 right now. I often wonder where they would have been if they were not bought and shut down.

I also hope to be dead wrong. I have never wanted to be soooooo wrong before. Changing is expensive and learning is a complete PIA. I have been casually looking for the last year and nothing is all that impressive enough to get me to drop SmartCAM. I have SmartCAM 2014.2 right now. I often wonder where they would have been if they were not bought and shut down.

You and me both, csharp... you and me both. :)
icon14.png

Truthfully, I wish I had been able to continue forward with BobCAM once I gave up on HSMW and AD. They have really made some very nice, admirable strides over the last two years. Sadly, I could not achieve a reliable stability with it and I just did not have any more time to dedicate to attempting it at the time. But it does do turning and milling. Maybe by now they have it corrected. Have you looked at that?

I did look at if briefly. Just some literate they sent and a some videos. I did install the demo but did not really try it all that much.

What are you using now? Powermill? Do you do much turning? I just can't hardly stomach spending more money on software.

Back