AutoDesk HSMWorks - I am cutting my losses and jumping ship. What next? - Page 12
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    I believe the entire VAR/Reseller model will eventually collapse under subscription. Just not enough meat left on the bone, and shareholder like to eat.
    You certainly have a knack for understanding an issue. Honestly, I am a little surprised that this has not happened already.

2. Likes csharp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    You certainly have a knack for understanding an issue. Honestly, I am a little surprised that this has not happened already.
    I think it is starting. I have heard some reseller complaining about an ADSK employee putting out there they are going to offer free training to get new users up to speed. The var was not really happy. Look at the amount of free videos and training, fast track program etc..... who needs a VAR.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    I think it is starting. I have heard some reseller complaining about an ADSK employee putting out there they are going to offer free training to get new users up to speed. The var was not really happy. Look at the amount of free videos and training, fast track program etc..... who needs a VAR.
    LMAO. Actually, what I had typed and what is now there are two different things. Same basic result of idea being conveyed, but my auto-correct changed what I wrote.

What I originally wrote was, "You certainly have a knack for understating an issue."

Hence, my surprise at what you theorize. Hahaha.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is definitely an interesting thread and I hope someone at Autodesk/HSMworks is monitoring it and taking in the feedback. We had/have the same concerns about HSMworks that many have posted, but ended up switching to HSMworks from Hypermill for Solidworks a few months ago after a very thorough evaluation of the competing options. We only do 3 axis work, and were looking for something with better Solidworks integration and a easier learning curve than Hypermill. For our needs, HSMworks beat everything else hands down, so in spite of our concerns about Autodesk ownership, we went ahead with the switch. So far we are still happy with that decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by grk3010 View Post
    n and a easier learning curve than Hypermill.
    Didn't think you could get much easier than Hypermill??

Used many CAM systems over the years and have to say Hypermill was as easy as they come from what I have used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From info I have gathered, CamWorks is no longer selling their 2.5D software because Solidworks has purchased it...
    Solidworks offers a free version in 2018 which is basic w/ no Volumill. They offer a paid version - like $2400 plus $600 a year in maintenance. It's only 2.5D but has Volumill. It will do a lot of what I need, but it's just not quite right for me as I'd like 3D capability, and 4th axis capability.

I just got an interesting email from my VAR on HSMWorks - apparently their 5-axis software is now in the same bundle, and a multi-user license is at $3,200 subscription per year for the "design and manufacturing collection" or $2460/year per seat.

Nothing has changed price-wise for perpetual users as of yet. I have asked what kind of incentive I can get from them like possibly a free year subscription, etc - something other than a slap in the dick for dumping and going to subscription.

Unfortunately I haven't found anything yet that I like enough to change....as much as I hate to, I think I have to stick with HSM for now.