What's new
What's new

Autodesk Inventor project

ajclay

Aluminum
I have a beginners understanding of Inventor. I can draw and do simple assemblies.

I've got a project that has a sheet of screen or welded wire screen in it.

Is there some kind of shortcut in making a wire screen panel? Like "Chicken wire" or screen with rectangle holes in it made of .062 wire?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Aj

Well, I stumble thru it on a daily basis.

Here's my plan.

In sketch, draw the rectangle of the outline of the sheet.
Get out of sketch, extrude it to maybe .030-.060 thick.

Open a new sketch on the face of the sheet, draw one little
square or round (the opening you want), and using the
pattern function, pattern the cut-outs as the grid you want.

Out of sketch, extrude function, remove material, select sketch.

The another other option would be to create a .062" rod and pattern it in an assembly or even in a part file. Then go and set up a plane and pattern one in the oppisite direction. That would of course give you the most accurate representation of .062" screen.

However with all of this in mind the next question is do you even need to model the elements of a 0.062" screen at all? If your model is mainly for your own use, and you are not going to be calculating mass properties or doing some sort of FEA or any other reason here or there, if all you are looking to do is show that you have a screen X by Y, it may be possible to simply make a single rectangle X by Y by .062" and than set up a shape transparancy so that you have the representation of the screen in place but don't hog the memory? Since I don't know what type of computer you have or how big of an assembly you will be working with this may/may not be an issue. However a large rectangular box is sure to take up far less memory than modeling each hole, or stran of wire in a screen.

You would have to play around a little but it may be a flat surface with a decal, or some sort of texture would do all that you need?

remember wire screen, hardware cloth, wire fencing is woven so you would have to do lets say a sinewave path and a sweep of a circle to model it correctly. In SW they have a bitmap of wire screen so you don't have to waste your time for things that are bought standerd items, maybe Inventor has the samething.

Solution

AJ,

Just draw the rectangle the screen will cover and extrude it a few thousands thick. In the left panel select the extrude item that highlights the screen panel. At the top of the screen above the menus you will see a grey box that usually says `As Body', pick it and scroll down, you will find (4) different Expanded Metal patterns, and further down Perforated Metal.

Expanded Metal 1: Diamond Expanded metal, 0.104 long x 0.039 wide holes, 0.027 wire
Expanded Metal 2: Square holes, rotate 45 degrees, 0.106 wide, 0.041 wire
Expanded Metal 3: Woven Screen, 0.052 sq hole, 0.032 flat wire look
Expanded Metal 4: Woven Screen, 0.066 sq hole, 0.040 round wire look, intersections looks flattened

Perforated Metal: round holes, 0.052 dia

On all the above the open holes act as windows, you will see what is behind them.

Keep the extrusion as thin as possible as the edge thickness will also have the pattern applied, but will probably not align.

Not sure how to adjust the scale.

Hope that helps,
Rich C.

AJ,

Just draw the rectangle the screen will cover and extrude it a few thousands thick. In the left panel select the extrude item that highlights the screen panel. At the top of the screen above the menus you will see a grey box that usually says `As Body', pick it and scroll down, you will find (4) different Expanded Metal patterns, and further down
Damn Rich, I like it.

Learned something new again.

Thank you.

AJ,

Just draw the rectangle the screen will cover and extrude it a few thousands thick. In the left panel select the extrude item that highlights the screen panel. At the top of the screen above the menus you will see a grey box that usually says `As Body', pick it and scroll down, you will find (4) different Expanded Metal patterns, and further down
Damn Rich, I like it.

Learned something new again.

Thank you.

That is cool, I just tried doing it and that is cool, I had thought it would just be a surface texture, but it actually yields see through sections too! That is definitely the way to go over creating a billion little holes that would likely hog memory.

Back