What's new
What's new

Autodesk is riding on the PM forum. Got this in my inbox today

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
Autodesk sent me a link to one of their advertisements cleverly disguised as a communication from Practical Machinist.
Here are screenshots of what I received:
Capture Adesk 1.jpg

Capture Adesk 2.JPG

I wonder if this was pre-approved by Milacron or if Adesk just decided to do a little stealth marketing without even the courtesy of asking permission first!
Thoughts, anyone??

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Hi All:
Autodesk sent me a link to one of their advertisements cleverly disguised as a communication from Practical Machinist.
Here are screenshots of what I received:
View attachment 206604

View attachment 206605

I wonder if this was pre-approved by Milacron or if Adesk just decided to do a little stealth marketing without even the courtesy of asking permission first!
Thoughts, anyone??

Cheers

Marcus
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Is this not just the standard 'chatter' newsletter PM has been sending out for years, only you're taking notice because ADSK is a sponsor?

ADSK_FUCKING_MASTERMINDS.jpg

Masterminds. It looks like Autodesk has been secretly sending newsletters in plain sight on a weekly basis for years, without even a hint of their presence! All this time, just so eventually they could sneak an advertisement in and you wouldn't know it! THOSE BASTARDS.

Oh my god. What have you found? Going through some of these, it's definitely an industry wide conspiracy. Not just autodesk, it seems mastercam and bobcad are in on it too. It's not even just limited to software vendors, but some of the emails mention machine and cutting tool manufacturers as well. These companies are literally trying to brainwash us into buying their products, almost exclusively through visual imagery and well crafted, moderately informative articles.

My only advice is, get out now while you still can. It's too late for me, save yourselves.

(WHAT THE HELL? THIS WHOLE COMMENT WAS MADE IN CAPS, BUT THE FORUM CORRECTED IT? HEADLINE: PRACTICAL MACHINIST FORUM BANS SHOUTING, INFRINGES ON SECOND AMMENDMENT RIGHT TO FREE SPEACH)

(yes, I know that's not what the second amendment is about.. #thatsthejoke)

Wow, Rob, you're really exercised about this...I had no idea it meant so much to you that it would be worth 3 posts in a row.
Snarky ones too.
But that's OK: after all I DID invite comments; I'm just surprised the pot's already boiling so vigorously after so gentle an introduction.

Actually I really don't care about Adesk's marketing tactics at all, but I thought it was kind of cute that the thread they titled in their email header has nothing to do with Autodesk or CAD or CAM.
Now if they'd linked to some of the recent ADesk bitch threads I might have been impressed:D

So I guess PM's "Chatter" is nothing more than a platform for advertising by whoever feels like shilling their shit on any given day.
That means it can just happily stay in the SPAM folder where I found it...I thought I might be missing something but I guess not.

Cheers

Marcus
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Wow, Rob, you're really exercised about this...I had no idea it meant so much to you that it would be worth 3 posts in a row.
Snarky ones too.
But that's OK: after all I DID invite comments; I'm just surprised the pot's already boiling so vigorously after so gentle an introduction.

Actually I really don't care about Adesk's marketing tactics at all, but I thought it was kind of cute that the thread they titled in their email header has nothing to do with Autodesk or CAD or CAM.
Now if they'd linked to some of the recent ADesk bitch threads I might have been impressed:D

So I guess PM's "Chatter" is nothing more than a platform for advertising by whoever feels like shilling their shit on any given day.
That means it can just happily stay in the SPAM folder where I found it...I thought I might be missing something but I guess not.

Cheers

Marcus
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Yeah, I tend to have a wicked stream of snark early in the morning, so the thread just caught me at my optimal peak.

Hopefully it was good for a laugh, otherwise, i'm not so far away if you feel i'm in need of a punch in the face :)

This is literally what every single email newsletter ever sent is.

That said, as a designer I get about a million of these a month, and almost never even open them. BUT a couple of times I have actually found new products from manufacturers that were very helpful, and I have used more than once.

So while I hate advertising as much as the next guy, sometimes they really are just trying to help (and sell stuff, obviously.) And at the end of the day, we're all trying to do a good job and make money. Which makes me wonder why I hate advertising so much.

I should just send Rob my favorite mug:

UXSBAwD.jpg

Please all don't forget that Practical Machinist needs to pay their bills. Running a a great forum is not without expenses.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

This is literally what every single email newsletter ever sent is.

That said, as a designer I get about a million of these a month, and almost never even open them. BUT a couple of times I have actually found new products from manufacturers that were very helpful, and I have used more than once.

So while I hate advertising as much as the next guy, sometimes they really are just trying to help (and sell stuff, obviously.) And at the end of the day, we're all trying to do a good job and make money. Which makes me wonder why I hate advertising so much.

I LOVE "pull" type advertising. Wherein a supplier puts together a truly clean, neat, helpful and easy to find, load, view, and NAVIGATE website service and technical doc downloads and "white papers", now, or dead-tree 'reference grade' catalog, (Hewlett-Packard and hardbound, Morse, Browning, Bodine, etc.) back in the day.

Need 'em? FIND 'em.

Quickly, easily, and usefully so. PDQ-Marlin one I used just a few days ago. Local forklift rental firms just yesterday.

What I detest is "PUSH" type advertising... wherein they hunt you down like a whole pack of rabid feral dogs AND their worms and fleas, shitbirds flying top cover, horseflies running close air support, as if running a rabbit to ground for a light lunch.

Worse, don't even make the distinction if you ARE a rabbit. Or a common fired-clay brickbat embedded in a retaining wall.

The alleged "AI" driving this "directed advertising" is not "Artificial Intelligence" at all.

It is "ASS". Artificial Serial Stupidity.

They may as well be "broadcasting out of their ass" for the abysmal shit to utility ratio, too.

Faster to bin it entire, seek what you need WHEN you need it.

No point in digging electronic diarrhea streams for the odd pearl or diamond. Too labour-intensive by half, that can be.

Back