What's new
What's new

Basic DNC signal question?

Richard/SIA

Cast Iron
Seems my issue with the Fanuc 3000C control may be the PC used for DNC via printer port?

I did find one machine parameter that had to be reset after the recent move.

Situation is that the machine seems fine, all the axis move, "Home" works, but the program does not run.
Send the BTR file and press cycle start.
Cycle start lights but the machine makes no moves.
The machine is aware of the program, it locks out manual mode control.
The DNC just scrolls through the program over and over.

I put a RS-232 check tester in line.
I notice that two of the LED's are not lighting but am unsure if they should.
The two that remain dark are 11 and QM.

I've been having start-up issues with that PC as well.
My newer PC does not have a 25 pin serial printer port.
I've been told conflicting information regards the utility of USB to Serial adapters.
Some say they work great, others that do not work at all.
If the PC/serial port IS the issue I may be able to add a card to my newer PC?

Since feeBay cannot move this machine out for me via a sale I suppose I'm up for repairing it again.
At least until I can find a newer machine that is not so far away that shipping exceeds the machine price.
PC parts should be relatively cheap.

Your 25-pin port may actually be a parallel port. If it's female, it's probably not serial. You may have been down that road already, so pardon if you've already verified that...

Chip

The port/cable was working fine prior to the shop move.
After the move I've had varied issues with the PC.
Annoying to say the least, it's not like I threw the PC into the truck.

Now trying to track down the issue.

I think new computer mother boards have headers for serial ports, I know mine do, you just need to get a serial port card which are $10-$20. The card is just a cable with a serial connector on one end and a connector for the mother board on the other, nice and simple. DNC4U shows what signals are active or not at the bottom of the screen, both from the computer and from the cnc. Very handy when you are trying to figure out what isn't working trying to communicate with your cnc. It is much better than the serial cable tester I have.

DNC4U has a 60 day full feature trial period and is very easy to figure out.

Back