What's new
What's new

Best method to get up to speed using SolidWorks (independently)?

cpm10v

Aluminum
The company I work for is switching over design software from Vero VISI (a direct modeler) to SolidWorks. I'm pretty proficient in 3D design using VISI but have only used SolidWorks for a week back in 2007.

We are going to be taking training classes (Essentials, Surfacing, etc.) from the VAR but I'd like to know if there were any other ways to get up to speed using the software that I could do independently. Books? Videos? Some have mentioned the SolidWorks Bible as what to get, but wanted to solicit a few other opinions as well. TIA

The company I work for is switching over design software from Vero VISI (a direct modeler) to SolidWorks. I'm pretty proficient in 3D design using VISI but have only used SolidWorks for a week back in 2007.

We are going to be taking training classes (Essentials, Surfacing, etc.) from the VAR but I'd like to know if there were any other ways to get up to speed using the software that I could do independently. Books? Videos? Some have mentioned the SolidWorks Bible as what to get, but wanted to solicit a few other opinions as well. TIA

You probably have a local solidworks user group, check into that.

forum.solidworks.com

Seems like there is plenty of help out there if you need it. I'm on maintenance with our VAR but can find most problems on the web before my VAR calls back. At this point I find that most stuff that I ask stumps the VAR and they have to have their top support people help me.

Tim

If you still have access have a root through jobs you have already done. Find some "easy', "typical" and "bitch" examples to practice on.

When changing programs I've always found the hardest part dealing with the "similar but not the same" operations and slotting into the changes in approach where the new program needs a different way of looking at the job to give of its best. Most especially so where the old program way can be coerced into working on the new program even when its the wrong way of going about things. With a job I already know its not too bad to concentrate on nailing the new way of working down but on a fresh one the natural reaction is to concentrate on dealing with the job so its easy to slip back into the old ways of working. Monumentally frustrating when the old way collides with the new so you hafta reverse out and not good for the learning process. Like most people I pick things up best when everything flows along with the different bits dropping into place as you come to them.

"Bitch" jobs are good sources of ask the instructor questions too.

Clive

I think you'll find the essentials class very useful. One thing our instructor emphasized during the essentials class is design intent, which I didn't quite get at the beginning when I was just trying to get used to parametric modeling. But now I totally get it, and he was totally right. You can make your life and the life of whomever makes the part much better by just being smart about what features and dimensions you use to build the part definition, how and where you build up sketches, etc. Once you get started, I'd get someone that is experienced to look at your models and provide feedback on what you could do differently.

I think you'll find the essentials class very useful. One thing our instructor emphasized during the essentials class is design intent, which I didn't quite get at the beginning when I was just trying to get used to parametric modeling. But now I totally get it, and he was totally right. You can make your life and the life of whomever makes the part much better by just being smart about what features and dimensions you use to build the part definition, how and where you build up sketches, etc. Once you get started, I'd get someone that is experienced to look at your models and provide feedback on what you could do differently.

And your design intent will flow into the assembly process if you get there also. Parts are easy, connecting them all together takes some time to learn.

The SW tutorials are a great place to start. If you know some good designers, you might scroll the build tree back and learn that way. Just be careful, I've run across a LOT of really sloppy designers with really bad modeling habits. You don't want to learn from one of those...

I also highly recommend the tutorials, they're great for independent learning. I can't speak on the SolidWorks Bible but I do have the SolidWorks Surfacing and Complex Shape Modeling Bible and I would highly recommend it for learning advance solid, surface and hybrid modeling techniques.

read through this book:

Amazon.com: SolidWorks 2011 Parts Bible (9781118002759): Matt Lombard: Books

I am halfway through it and i would rate myself as an intermediate sw user and i am picking up alot from this book. It is really great because it explains how the software works and relates things. It also goes over best practices and stuff to not do which helps a ton. Get this and the assembly bible....well worth the money.:cheers:

Tutorials as mentioned. In addition, finding parts designed by others, and rolling back the feature tree. I've learned a number of tricks and new techniques doing this on McMaster CAD models, for example.

I also highly recommend making a digital notebook of obscure techniques and commands, for later reference. Share it with your coworkers, and let them add to it as well. Link back to tutorials when possible. This eventually turns into a nice teaching reference for new users.

Once you are proficient, just browsing the help section during slow moments at work is always useful.

One tip you'll want if you do assemblies is pressing the shift key allows you to select transparent faces.

I've learned a number of tricks and new techniques doing this on McMaster CAD models, for example.

But don't think how they model fasteners is correct!!! they don't use a swept cut to make the threads, they make a v-notch and revolve it at an angle, then do a linear pattern of how may threads they need! go to solidworker.com he show the best way to make threads.

But don't think how they model fasteners is correct!!! they don't use a swept cut to make the threads, they make a v-notch and revolve it at an angle, then do a linear pattern of how may threads they need! go to solidworker.com he show the best way to make threads.

Just don't use those in a large assembly with lots of fasteners... your computer is likely to cough up a video card. :willy_nilly:

On a more serious note, what does a correctly modeled thread get you over say, adding a thread texture to the face? Unless of course, you're doing some kind of shear loading analysis.

Just don't use those in a large assembly with lots of fasteners... your computer is likely to cough up a video card. :willy_nilly:

On a more serious note, what does a correctly modeled thread get you over say, adding a thread texture to the face? Unless of course, you're doing some kind of shear loading analysis.

he was discussing how to model parts and using McMaster as an example!
They as in "McMaster" are not showing proper Threads the way I would cut them on a lathe! He said rollback and look how someone modeled partsthis is not a good example, period for how threads are made, sure it saves on graphics but not correct. been modeling in SW since 97 and understand the video thing, it just that new users that know nothing about threads and I instruct CAD to those that have never taken shop or drafting think McMaster is modeling how fasteners should be made, which is wrong, just to save the VIDEO CARD! that is why I said this, I get the all sorts of greef when I give a bad grade...well that is how I saw it on McMaster Carr!

Nuf Said!

we need to teach the correct way so future machinist and engineers understand! period!

So to rant more, I get engineering students in the machine show that twirl their finger in a spiral and ask I need to put this in a hole!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanx to High Schools for getting ride of SHOP!

Hehe.

Knowing the proper way to do anything is useful. We're in agreement len, sorry if my post came off the wrong way. I use to get extremely irritated when opening large assemblies with thousands of swept-helix fasteners is all.

I think SW has some really good examples of thread creation in their molded bottle examples, etc. The variable helix torsion spring examples (seen them somewhere) are also great for practicing this.

Take care.

Hehe.

Knowing the proper way to do anything is useful. We're in agreement len, sorry if my post came off the wrong way. I use to get extremely irritated when opening large assemblies with thousands of swept-helix fasteners is all.

I think SW has some really good examples of thread creation in their molded bottle examples, etc. The variable helix torsion spring examples (seen them somewhere) are also great for practicing this.

Take care.

Sorry I sounded mad...I was, Wisconsin lost to Oregon in:bawling: the Rose Bowl

No harm no foul Len.

We're all subject to taking the brunt of someone elses road-rage or whatever the case may be now and then. :cheers:

Some of their fasteners are swept helices, but I have noticed many of them are modeled as linear patterns. Nobody is saying they always model things correctly, however they do use techniques in many models which a beginner would never think of. Obviously this does not mean one should replicate every technique they use.

I usually add mcmaster fasteners to my models for accuracy (and also for the BOM), and then make the default configuration be with all fasteners suppressed, for speed.

I really like the CSWP exam dassault offers. It really covers a good range of basic solidworks skills, and if you can do that you're in good shape to figure out how to do new stuff.

Back