Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still waiting on the Solidworks plugin license, but the stand-alone is up and running... I haven't spent a whole lot of time on it yet, but so far - I will be honest - it's pretty nice. Workflow is quick and easy, and makes sense...comparative to others out there that have horrific workflow. It's not perfect, but from what I've seen so far it's better than it used to be. It has high speed roughing that looks ok as well, although I am having some issues getting it to understand my part boundaries... I'll spend some more time with it and report back. I am anxious to try the SW version. If it works as good as HSMWorks, I'd ditch Autodesk for it.

2. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Suprise, suprise.. Guess who called me this morning. ...

For the first time ever I let a call from Bobcad go to voice mail... Don't even feel like telling them where they went wrong...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple days ago I received an invoice in the mail from Bobcad for 12 months of support and "Upgrade Package". $400, discounted to $350 for early renewal.

Recently I purchased V29 and am happy with it. At the time of purchase there was no mention of V30 coming out shortly.

Do you suppose the Upgrade Package includes V30?

I have a call into Bobcad to find out what this invoice is all about. It's not uncommon to bill customers for things they didn't order so I was planning on ignoring the invoice. If I can get the upgrade to V30 I might consider it (after I try the demo version).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I toyed with the Solidworks version a bit last nite... Will spend some more time this evening. It's...meh.. Not bad, not excellent. I am not sure what the price is, but I'd mayyyyybe consider it over others if I can get it to do what I want...it would have to be extremely cheap. Some things about it are cool, some aren't. Takes an awfully long time to generate their HSM roughing passes. But it seems to work. Geometry selection can be weird at times but it works... It's simple as hell to operate...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd try it for shiggles. Interested in toolpath calculation in the SW add-in version. I can't say I'd purchase it but I'm always curious about other CAM packages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by irobotix View Post
    I am not sure what the price is, but I'd mayyyyybe consider it over others if I can get it to do what I want...it would have to be extremely cheap.
    Depends on what you idea of cheap is.... It's cheap compared to lots of other products..

My problem is it would not produce any more revenue for me at this time. That makes it "expensive" in that I really need a "Student" edition to learn the program and use it enough where it can start to pay for itself. I'm on 27 now and and will need to go to something 4th axis soon, the reason I was looking at 30.

I just spent 25 minutes on the phone with the head of sales for BobCad Texas. I explained that I was disappointed over the used car sales tactics and had expected better from them. He said he was sorry and the company had to make sales to stay operating and sometimes they push too hard.

The man stressed that he wanted to make things right and regain my business and trust. My problem is I don't have a clue how that could be done. Trust is a big issue with me and unless I just suck it up and spend the money there is no way they can regain my business and build trust again.

At this point I'm just about ready to "drink the Koolaid" and learn Fusion 360. I already know they are going to screw me and I won't be out any upfront money for the pleasure...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"head of sales for BobCad Texas"

Believe they are located in Florida with a smaller office in England

Head of sales is head of sales,,,what are going on

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    "head of sales for BobCad Texas"

Believe they are located in Florida with a smaller office in England

Head of sales is head of sales,,,what are going on
    He said he takes care of Texas customers. I believe him on that

The demostrator that showed me 30 and forwarded the "Deal" said he is based in Austin...

He must work on some commission arrangement because he told me that he would take "the hit"if he went below the price point he quoted.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    Depends on what you idea of cheap is.... It's cheap compared to lots of other products..

My problem is it would not produce any more revenue for me at this time. That makes it "expensive" in that I really need a "Student" edition to learn the program and use it enough where it can start to pay for itself. I'm on 27 now and and will need to go to something 4th axis soon, the reason I was looking at 30.

I just spent 25 minutes on the phone with the head of sales for BobCad Texas. I explained that I was disappointed over the used car sales tactics and had expected better from them. He said he was sorry and the company had to make sales to stay operating and sometimes they push too hard.

The man stressed that he wanted to make things right and regain my business and trust. My problem is I don't have a clue how that could be done. Trust is a big issue with me and unless I just suck it up and spend the money there is no way they can regain my business and build trust again.

At this point I'm just about ready to "drink the Koolaid" and learn Fusion 360. I already know they are going to screw me and I won't be out any upfront money for the pleasure...
    I am sort of in the same boat - I already own HSMWorks with Fusion and Inventor bundled in... I've struggled for a few months to find something to switch to because I am so pissed at them. But I can't find it. It pains me to go spend $12 to $20k on something I feel is inferior or much more cumbersome. I may also have to just drink that same koolaid and stick with it for the price... Those rat bastards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We tried out Bobcad way back in the mid 90's. I believe it was V5?
    They hounded us for months.
    Then we bought Mastercam and haven't looked back since.

12. Likes Tom. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    A couple days ago I received an invoice in the mail from Bobcad for 12 months of support and "Upgrade Package". $400, discounted to $350 for early renewal.

Recently I purchased V29 and am happy with it. At the time of purchase there was no mention of V30 coming out shortly.

Do you suppose the Upgrade Package includes V30?

I have a call into Bobcad to find out what this invoice is all about. It's not uncommon to bill customers for things they didn't order so I was planning on ignoring the invoice. If I can get the upgrade to V30 I might consider it (after I try the demo version).
    I misread what the invoice said, it's not "upgrade", it's "update" which refers to buy fixes, etc. Version upgrades are not included.

The salesperson called this morning to let me know exactly what the invoice meant. He is working on a better price for me since I purchased V29 within a week or so of V30 offering. He said sales does not get much advance notice of new versions, as in my case.

I did download the V30 demo this morning, not much time to evaluate it. I noticed some of the functions in surfacing are much improved in how you select paths. And, this was not one of the improvements Al mentioned in the OP of this thread. So I would say it is much improved based on less than an hour of testing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post

mid 90's,,,what ? 22 years ago,,,that's a great help

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They don't hound you anymore..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    mid 90's,,,what ? 22 years ago,,,that's a great help
    Yeah,,,,22yrs ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lots of people above were talking about the sales guys hounding you after showing interest.
    Someone piss in your cornflakes this morning?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah,,,,22yrs ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lots of people above were talking about the sales guys hounding you after showing interest.
    Someone piss in your cornflakes this morning?
    Relevant,I see,,,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a fun little mold job this afternoon and thought it a good chance to try it out. Imported models fine, opened version 29 files fine, thankfully you can copy a feature from a V29 file and paste it into a V30 file (very nice, since this is a part family). Used my post processor file from V29 and no issues there. "Save" command was much faster. I write programs all day so I am used to how V29 feels, so far V30 feels faster. Simulation seemed much faster, but that can vary between files so not sure on that one. Love that you can now register online. So my first test run only lasted about 15 minutes but so far so good, part came out perfect.

19. Likes wrustle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have got a support that covers new versions of the software (Got 5 axis pro). Its a lot more expensive but means we stay up to date.

The new geometry selection is very good, the preview works well.

There are some new stuff that looks like it will make my life easier, the automatic clearance in 5 axis jobs looks like it will make multiaxis easier.

Tried it a little bit. Already posted a bug about the new adaptive facing operation. Rapid fed a 50mm dia cutter 20mm into the workpiece when using the default setting at the end of the pass. Showed it in the back-plot when you stepped through.

The thing that currently hacks me off is nothing ever seems to get fixed that doesn't work. I've been reporting a bug with the cutting conditions for tapping a blind hole since v27. The number of taps and workpieces I've smashed up because of this gets me more angry by the day.

It feels like all the new shiney options are there as a sales tool. There are some serious productivity options they need to implement to improve the day to day use of the program (posted probably 300 nc programs this year alone for 108 parts). I've been requesting being able to pick default options and tooling for quite some time (sick to death repicking the same crap). I have a machine tool with a set tool magazine, but bob always wants to use a unknown default tool that isn't even in the tool database (I know because I deleted them all)

Plus I would love a default tool by process, example I always use a 50mm dia tool to face the part, why does it think the 12.7 dia slot drill that I don't have is the correct tool every time.

Even a default tools for a given tapping operation based on the thread selected. Even make it pick the correct thread from the hole dimensions when the geometry is selected. I smashed up a job picking the wrong size drill in a rush job yesterday. The job will have to be restarted scrapping an expensive billet of aluminium.