Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Al,

It would be nice to get feedback on when a bug is expected to be fixed, the tapping bug has never really been fixed over the space of 3 or 4 full versions.

I find it hard to believe also I always find out by myself when patches are released, I normally stumble across them. A single email out to tell people with service support would go a long way.

Suggestions seem to go into a black hole after the initial feedback about the feature. Maybe an email informing it is going to be tackled and when it is expected to be implemented. All generating a "feel good" with customers that will then be more willing to actually write a request in the first place.

Shaun

2. Likes ranchak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shaun, I am not aware of this tapping issue you are talking about. What controller are you running on? What version and build number of BobCAD are you using. Which post processor are you using?

Can you explain the issue with the tapping cycle, do you have sample code of what's not working and what does work?

I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Windows went buggy on me and I had to reinstall the OS..BC told me they wouldn't re authorize V 27 for me.
    I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from them at this point. Moved on to Fusion..at least it will post code that doesn't dive into the part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Manual Machinist, who did you speak with in support that said they couldn't re register V27? Also what part were you working on that the code would dive into the part. Do you have a sample of the code, what post processor were you working with>?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Shaun, I am not aware of this tapping issue you are talking about. What controller are you running on? What version and build number of BobCAD are you using. Which post processor are you using?

Can you explain the issue with the tapping cycle, do you have sample code of what's not working and what does work?

I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you.
    Al, its ticket no. PQE-244-48235 on your system.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Manual Machinist, who did you speak with in support that said they couldn't re register V27? Also what part were you working on that the code would dive into the part. Do you have a sample of the code, what post processor were you working with>?
    Sorry, I don't recall a name. That was a couple of years ago now. But they told me that it had to be a provable hardware failure for it to be reauthorized, for me to mail them a receipt to prove it was a hardware issue.
    The part was a pump shaft. It simulated fine on the computer and on the machine the tool dove into a radius on a shoulder during finishing.
    At that point I lost it and made the part using the conversational on the lathe control.
    When I first got the software up ad running I was having issues with it and allowed a BobCAD tech to remote into the machine to try to correct the issue and they screwed up the computer so it wouldn't even boot.
    Like I said, with the issues I have had with the way they do business and customer support I would rather use a engine lathe than have anything to do with them.
    The only thing they were ever concerned with was making another sale...even after we had bought the product they drove me nuts with phone calls and emails interrupting my REAL work in the shop.

8. Likes mtlhe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can say they never did bombard me with calls and emails. I made it clear I was not going to put up with it from the start, they might have put that in my file...

I'll bet Al is sorry he even started this thread now

I really think a lot of Al. He is the single reason BobCad got a shot in the first place. He has always tried to help customers with problems and unfortunately is not the owner of BobCad or some of this stuff would never have happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Swatkins, your right I am here to help. I am not sorry I started the thread, if there are issues that need to be handled I want to help handle them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by manualmachinist View Post
    Sorry, I don't recall a name. That was a couple of years ago now. But they told me that it had to be a provable hardware failure for it to be reauthorized, for me to mail them a receipt to prove it was a hardware issue.
    The part was a pump shaft. It simulated fine on the computer and on the machine the tool dove into a radius on a shoulder during finishing.
    At that point I lost it and made the part using the conversational on the lathe control.
    When I first got the software up ad running I was having issues with it and allowed a BobCAD tech to remote into the machine to try to correct the issue and they screwed up the computer so it wouldn't even boot.
    Like I said, with the issues I have had with the way they do business and customer support I would rather use a engine lathe than have anything to do with them.
    The only thing they were ever concerned with was making another sale...even after we had bought the product they drove me nuts with phone calls and emails interrupting my REAL work in the shop.
    Do you know what year it was?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    I really think a lot of Al. He is the single reason BobCad got a shot in the first place. He has always tried to help customers with problems and unfortunately is not the owner of BobCad or some of this stuff would never have happened.
    Fully agree, he always at least trys to get stuff sorted. Maybe threads like this at least allow him to see things as they are too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is very unfortunate that some of this stuff is still happening. I have seen both sides of this fence, myself. There are a few key people that are trying to do good things, and do them the correct way. But there appears to still be some that do not care, and unfortunately it does do more cumulative harm than the good people can do good work and deeds.

I have been on the receiving end of some of the bad things. However, credit where credit is due - Al and others have stepped up and tried to correct the issues and move forward. Once I was convinced that the issues were resolved, I concentrated on the technical value of the software. And here, I think it really shines.

I really do not know what the answer to all of this is, but I think it is hurting the debut of a package that would otherwise be very helpful and valuable to many people and shops. I simply have not had the time to check out v30 yet. Hopefully I can, soon. I believe that what issues I have with the v29 software would be resolved by its use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shaunwil View Post
    Al, its ticket no. PQE-244-48235 on your system.
    It looks like this is an issue with the depths that BobCAD automatically calculates for a blind hole when tapping? Where the default values for the tap overall are going past the overall depth of the drill?

That issue has been resolved in the V29 & V30

As an example is a 1/4 20 .5 blind tap

The Drill Effective calculated at .5 and overall at .5604

The Tap Effective depth calculated at .3 and overall at .5

I am running V29 Build 2399 V30 Build 2521

The effective depth being lesser the tip angle

The overall depth being the value posted in the G code.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like this is an issue with the depths that BobCAD automatically calculates for a blind hole when tapping? Where the default values for the tap overall are going past the overall depth of the drill?

I'm running v30 build 2521, set to metric mode.

With the boxes ticked with "use cutting conditions" on an M5 thread I get an effective drill depth of 20mm and an overall tap depth of 20mm in the greyed out boxes (this is what I get when posting). If I add a figure in the drill depth box in the cutting condition those figures don't change !

There should be a program and the post processor linked to the ticket.

Maybe its only working in english and not metric ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to get an idea, what is the ballpark price of v30?

Does it have a way of handling multiple spindles? I have a 3 axis cnc router with 8 spindles.

Thanks,
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's one of the big problems I have with the software.. You buy V27, that has problems, then you have to buy another version to get the problems fixed! If a bug fix takes longer than the life of the version -that could be 3 weeks if you buy it at the wrong time- you have to live with the bug... I think bug fixes should be free, not my fault I bought a defective version...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

18. Likes mtlhe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who knows what the price is... Its not what is listed on the site. You have to talk to a salesman and they will give you your price...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jason you'll need to contact your account manager for a quote on the software. Call 877-262-2231 X123. As far as multi head routers yes they are supported. You there are a number of ways to control heads differently like with Z W etc... or using G54 G55 or a G92 shift or just running them salved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if it's a metric issue or not I'll have to test. I did not see a post processor on the ticket

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    That's one of the big problems I have with the software.. You buy V27, that has problems, then you have to buy another version to get the problems fixed! If a bug fix takes longer than the life of the version -that could be 3 weeks if you buy it at the wrong time- you have to live with the bug... I think bug fixes should be free, not my fault I bought a defective version...

I agree with you, BobCAD like most CAM systems offer different options for service or maintenance.

Currently we offer an upgrade model and a subscription model ( both are perpetual licenses ).

In the last few years they did change the policy on updates, where in order to get updates for the software ( unless critical ) you need to be on a support plan. The minimum support plan is $150 a year to get updates to the software. This has been an unpopular policy, but at $150 for updates for a year that's not outrageous IMHO.

I also feel it's in the best interest of the user and company to offer a subscription plan where you get updates, upgrades and support all wrapped into price. I feel this is the best direction BobCAD as a company can take. Best for the users and best for the customers.

Because of the upgrade model there is always that period just before and upgrade is release where new customers are caught between 2 versions, the one they just purchased and the one just released. Which is why I purchasing software on subscription is the best value for the customer.

23. Likes SPDTool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Swatkins, you'll need to speak with an account manager for a quote on the software. Call 877-262-2231 X123 if you are in Texas you'll speak with Adam the account manager. Bradan is the regional manager for Texas, a shop owner and one bad ass machinist. So you'll be in good hands for support and training.