BobCAD CAM V30 Just Released, Who is going to try it first? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    Yes Swatkins, you'll need to speak with an account manager for a quote on the software. Call 877-262-2231 X123 if you are in Texas you'll speak with Adam the account manager. Bradan is the regional manager for Texas, a shop owner and one bad ass machinist. So you'll be in good hands for support and training.
    I've already talked to them.... They are the ones that lost me as a customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like I said Bradan is a bad ass machinist, I stand behind that statement 100%

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Al, PM Sent

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The cam side ain't to bad when you get used to it. And the 3d side of things being similiar to Solidworks is nice. But when I am trying to draw simple 2d shapes BEFORE I loft or extrude and it takes SOOOOO much longer than Fusion or Mastercam simply because you can't snap lines as fast or type in values as fast...you have a problem. This has not been fixed for 5 versions now that I keep telling you too. This is the MAIN reason I grabbed Fusion360. I am ballistically fast at drawing in that. Maybe it is just my style. It has it's problems too...

However the sales tactics are the SAME. The calls aren't that frequent but they spammed my email ever since I wanted to do a training I couldn't make.

Also this is the second company that I have found have sales people based in texas while the company headquarters is in florida and they have nothing listed in texas. I am not making this up.

I may go back to Bobcad but everytime I try to draw something or rotate to view just makes me shake my head. If I am importing a solid file to modify or toothpath it is just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    We tried out Bobcad way back in the mid 90's. I believe it was V5?
    They hounded us for months.
    Then we bought Mastercam and haven't looked back since.
    As a fairly new owner of Mastercam, (came into the fold early 2016) you aren't doing yourself justice by not looking. I've been a BobCAD-CAM customer from V21-V27 and V29 was so good I still upgraded even after owning Mastercam with all the bells and whistles. I have multiple seats of each now and I leverage the best of both worlds. I won't go into details that only makes sense to me but BobCAD is still faster for most of my 3D CAM work. If you think about the 3D toolpath you most often use in Mastercam and strip out 50% of the buttons and adjustments that you never touch, you get BobCAD-CAM. And the usefulness of DMS (look it up) can't be understated. I realize MC can do something similar but it's not even close IMO to the elegance of the BCC approach.

You may not need any additional seats of software but if you find yourself needing to do some programming and your MC (or insert other $$$ software here) is tied up, BobCAD is a perfect substitute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to plays the devils advocate. If bob cad is so great for you. Why did you buy Mastercam?

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    As a fairly new owner of Mastercam, (came into the fold early 2016) you aren't doing yourself justice by not looking. I've been a BobCAD-CAM customer from V21-V27 and V29 was so good I still upgraded even after owning Mastercam with all the bells and whistles. I have multiple seats of each now and I leverage the best of both worlds. I won't go into details that only makes sense to me but BobCAD is still faster for most of my 3D CAM work. If you think about the 3D toolpath you most often use in Mastercam and strip out 50% of the buttons and adjustments that you never touch, you get BobCAD-CAM. And the usefulness of DMS (look it up) can't be understated. I realize MC can do something similar but it's not even close IMO to the elegance of the BCC approach.

You may not need any additional seats of software but if you find yourself needing to do some programming and your MC (or insert other $$$ software here) is tied up, BobCAD is a perfect substitute.

7. Likes RTM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Unahorn View Post
    I have to plays the devils advocate. If bob cad is so great for you. Why did you buy Mastercam?
    That's fine, I would expect someone to question that.

We purchased a "new" 5 axis machine (Haas UMC-750SS) but it was a factory demo about 3 months old. I had no software to drive it and no experience with 5 axis machining. The easy answer is that including the substantial discount of the machine the cost of X9 with Multiaxis addon and full simulation AND validated post from a 3rd party would basically be "free".

The other reality is that Mastercam seems to have a wider user base. We need people and I can't find BobCAD programmers in my area. Everyone knows Mastercam and the few schools that exist teach it. I think Al and the BCC people are doing a lot to change that but it may be sometime still before BobCAD really disrupts the market. And it will, count on that. I just couldn't wait any longer, we still need programmers.

I know I mentioned how easy 3D work was with BobCAD but the 2D was kind of weak. Often I would have to extract geometry and fiddle with it to get a leadin off my part. Just look at the 2D enhancements of V30 and you will see a lot of the goodies that I have been enjoying for the last few years with Mastercam. Trim and extend, edit toolpath, minimizing tool retracts, high speed tool repositioning with island avoidance, maintaining start positions and direction when the geometry changes...

If BobCAD was 1.6 years ago what it is today it would have been a lot more difficult to make an argument for spending +$22k that I could have spent on tooling. I would still own Mastercam for the reasons listed above but I would have been happy (personally) to keep on programming in BobCAD. I'm using it today on a very simple 2D part with some ports that go all the way through the length, and although no one is using it currently I'm not tying up the Mastercam key. I think that is a major benefit for large and small shops alike, I don't know why they haven't picked up on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm still contemplating V30 after downloading the demo. I purchased V29 4 axis shortly before the V30 announcement and still getting up to speed with it. Bobcad has to be the easiest CAM I've ever used. It was purchased to do free form art type work and so far it does everything I expected. It appears V30 has some nice improvements. I may upgrade since I've been offered a deal because of the timing of my V29 purchase.

My experience with Bobcad goes back 15 to 20 years when a couple friends bought CNC routers that had Bobcad bundled with them. Back then the software was so bad it was unbelievable. Bobcad people have really gotten their act together since those days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I upgrade to V30 a couple of days ago. I see some differences so far. but nothing major over V29. What I would really like to see is a version that doesn't crash a couple of times a day. When they fix that. they will have something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And by a couple times a day, I mean 20 or more!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rbregn View Post
    And by a couple times a day, I mean 20 or more!
    Only have 28 as current
    The more I use it,the less it crashes,,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well here is my opinion of V30 after doing a couple of lathe posts. Don't upgrade! V29 is way better. I was happy with V29 for mill work and lathe work. Haven't posted anything to the mill yet. I was hoping the lathe paths would be better, especially working with the ids. I was told by their sales department(Don't say it, I know!)that the lathes paths have been improved. This is not the case. They post the most random crap, you will crash for sure. The worst part is my drawings in V30 wont open in V29 without converting them. What a pain. Hopefully they will come out with a patch instead of a new version. I don't see me upgrading any more after this experience. I will give the support team a big thumbs up. but I would stay with your V29 for now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I purchased V30 and must stay, it was a $1,496 mistake. I purchased BobCad standard for Mill and BobArt. Salesperson never mention the cost for training, stated "lot's of training materials and will greatly assist you with mastering this program." Simple commands like scaling and rotating, very complex. Took me four hours to figure it out. BobArt does not work for pendant type work. Anyway, sent a request for a refund and of course, it was denied and was only offered 1 hour of OLT. I have an attorney looking into it. would highly recommend you look carefully at the "critical" features you need and make sure this system can do them with little or no training before purchasing this program. Sales person can be pushy and will offer hourly deals - lol!!! Be prepared, Standard Customer Service means a call back and that can range from 2 to 3 hours or the following day. I will be purchasing MasterCam Mill as it seems most of the shops I have dealt with in my career use/own it.

What a big waste of time and money.

Just my two cents!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoel View Post
    I purchased V30 and must stay, it was a $1,496 mistake. I purchased BobCad standard for Mill and BobArt. Salesperson never mention the cost for training, stated "lot's of training materials and will greatly assist you with mastering this program." Simple commands like scaling and rotating, very complex. Took me four hours to figure it out. BobArt does not work for pendant type work. Anyway, sent a request for a refund and of course, it was denied and was only offered 1 hour of OLT. I have an attorney looking into it. would highly recommend you look carefully at the "critical" features you need and make sure this system can do them with little or no training before purchasing this program. Sales person can be pushy and will offer hourly deals - lol!!! Be prepared, Standard Customer Service means a call back and that can range from 2 to 3 hours or the following day. I will be purchasing MasterCam Mill as it seems most of the shops I have dealt with in my career use/own it.

Just my two cents!!!!
    Have you used CAD/CAM prior to BobCad purchase? Did you download the demo version before purchase?

I purchased 4th axis BobCad V29 because my long time CAD/CAM couldn't be upgraded to 4th axis easily (a reseller issue). IMO, BobCad is about the easiest, most intuitive software around. Free tech support is provided for the first 30 days. As far as tech support, it appears to be a strong point with BobCad. In my first week I had a couple minor issues resolved the same day.

Have you worked through some of the "getting started" videos? Googling on specific problem issues will bring up dozens of helpful youtube videos.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

gijoe

" Simple commands like scaling and rotating, very complex. Took me four hours to figure it out."

I must say,you are more far removed than even a NEWBIE,,,what's going on really ???

Master Cam is now on your list,but only purchased the standard mill in BobCad ?????Either a special kind of stupid or just a dirty stinky troll

Lots of free training on You Tube,,,Most things for versions back to V26 are relevant to V30
    Hours and hours of free training on there

Love to hear your successes in learning MC seeming it is obvious you have no clue in Cad/Cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoel View Post

Just my two cents!!!!
    Watch:

Depoalo
    - YouTube

BobCAD CAM
    - YouTube

18. Likes spock liked this post