Bobcad has been great to deal with...
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bobcad has been great to deal with...

Last year I bought Bobcad to get 4th axis capability. I told the salesperson I needed it only for the 4th axis since my existing CAM couldn't be upgraded to include the 4th. He gave me a good price, no hassle at all. But, since my purchase of V29 was within days of the V30 release he later offered an upgrade at a much lower than usual price. I took him up on the upgrade offer during their year end sale.

With the upgrade I now have V29 on my laptop and V30 on the desktop.

Now comes the problem. V30 loads very slowly on the desktop. Bobcad tech support hooked up remotely with my computer and determines my desktop has a video card problem, this took about an hour. No charge.

Where else can you get reasonable pricing and service like this??

2. Likes Ox, jrmach, Toolbert, triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Last year I bought Bobcad to get 4th axis capability. I told the salesperson I needed it only for the 4th axis since my existing CAM couldn't be upgraded to include the 4th. He gave me a good price, no hassle at all. But, since my purchase of V29 was within days of the V30 release he later offered an upgrade at a much lower than usual price. I took him up on the upgrade offer during their year end sale.

With the upgrade I now have V29 on my laptop and V30 on the desktop.

Now comes the problem. V30 loads very slowly on the desktop. Bobcad tech support hooked up remotely with my computer and determines my desktop has a video card problem, this took about an hour. No charge.

Where else can you get reasonable pricing and service like this??

Wait until they call you once a week trying to sell you crap. Gets annoying fast. And until they do an active grid or easier way to snap points I have basically given up. I had 25, 27, and 29....some small changes.

I can draw solid models so much faster in 360 it's a joke. Seriously. Maybe it is the way I approach drawing/extruding etc etc..dunno.

Do they have a timeline yet with the new version? I only ask because that saved my butt in 360 and pretty cool feature.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BoB's strength is in the CAM not the CAD

You can import your drawing easy enough from your favorite CAD

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz View Post
    Wait until they call you once a week trying to sell you crap. Gets annoying fast. And until they do an active grid or easier way to snap points I have basically given up. I had 25, 27, and 29....some small changes.

I can draw solid models so much faster in 360 it's a joke. Seriously. Maybe it is the way I approach drawing/extruding etc etc..dunno.

Do they have a timeline yet with the new version? I only ask because that saved my butt in 360 and pretty cool feature.
    Hmmm..... for some reasons I don't get the calls. Maybe it was because I was very firm in what I wanted and was willing to pay. I do get occasional emails about webinaires, etc not anything that bothers me though.

When I read all the crap about the way AD treats customers that makes Bobcad look pretty good.

Here's a little trivial about Bobcad. There really is a "Bob". The software I've been using for 10+ years is called Vector CAD/CAM. When I looked at the Bobcad demos it looked just like Vector. Al Depaulo told me Bob's brother wrote Vector. Obviously, the brothers worked closely together at some point. The USA dealer for Vector dropped the product at the 2012 version. I couldn't add the 4th axis option without buying a total package from the Vector headquarters somewhere in Europe. So buying Bobcad was like buying Vector from Europe except cheaper.

I've always figured the best software is the one you're most familiar with. For me Bobcad is like Vector with a more updated user interface plus a few more features.

I've played with Fusion, as a new user I found it cumbersome, probably mostly because I didn't want to go through the learning curve. And, you know for sure AD is going to do something really nasty to those of you who are depending on low cost/free Fusion.

AD screwed me over a number of years ago. They bought Generic CADD when I was writing a CAM add on for it (in my only real job I wrote CAD software for Boeing). They assured everyone they would continue the product, but shut it down because it was competing too much with Autocad Lite.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^^Oh I remember that about getting f-ed over by Autocad. Yeah I mean if Bobcad changed a few things and listened to what guys want(if you can turn something of and on like in Mastercam)..I think they can be great if they don't go to cloud. Then anyone who doesn't have fast internet and hates the cloud would go to them.

I liked Fusion because I can do keys like the letter "l" for a line... or "o" to offset a line(parallel line). The faster I can bang out a drawing even if that is a few seconds here and there per mouse move adds up. My main thing is the parts I draw are from napkin drawings etc. Sometimes I am making up dimensions so something looks good or whatever. So if I don't know where a point is off in space somewhere(coordinates) there is no fast way to draw that 2d drawing to then extrude.

I learned on Solidworks and the book makes it super easy. Easiest software I have used......BUT then you remember they gave you all the coordinates and dimensions to plug in.

But yeah, Fusion360 is glitchy and SUPER slow if you have ALOT of features. So much in fact on one part I told them how to draw it etc(2d line drawing) and told them it would crash...but Bobcad wouldn't and another software. Slow and shit..but wouldn't crash.
    Needless to say they are working on it or already fixed it.