What's new
What's new

Chamfering Holes Using CAM

Good evening everyone,
What is the best way to program chamfered holes in InventorHSM? The hole is a .516 counter bore and the chamfer is .010x45Deg. Thank you in advance!!!!

Is the chamfer modeled or not? What tool are you using, or have you decided yet?

Simplest way is to select the hole wall/face and use a spot drill and simply put a chamfer width of .01". Otherwise 2D Chamfer will work with a chamfer mill small enough to interpolate the diameter (probably a 1/4") or if the chamfer is modeled, using 2D Contour will be easier. Don't forget a tool tip offset on the Passes tab so you're not just cutting with the bottom of the tool.

Thank you AtomKinder. The .010 chamfer is in the model but not easily seen. I am going to try the 2D contour and see what that looks like. If it were me, I would let the operator use a hand tool to make the hole chamfer but the boss wants to use the fancy stuff LOL. I miss CMM programming!! LOL!!

Thank you again!

For 2D Contour, choose the bottom of the chamfer for the chain and specify a tip offset; the CAM should automatically choose a chamfer based on the chamfer mill tool selection. Depending on the tool you might need to set the lead-in radius to zero.

I agree with the boss, let the machine do the work! It's more consistent and will always be of higher quality. Plus the operator can do something else that the machine can't.

Back