What's new
What's new

CAD for private use. What are the better options?

Miroslav

Plastic
I used to have access to nice CAD software through my work, but no more. It is not an option for me to use my work CAD license for my own stuff. It also is not an option for me to pay 2200 dollars for a Creo license. I don't mind paying, but I'm not paying 2200 USD.

Is there any software out there for poor ass engineers? What do people use? Google Sketchup? Come on, there must be something better than that out there.

If you are accustomed to "real" CAD packages you will most likely find Fusion360 infuriating. I managed to get a legal copy of autodesk inventor but I am not sure that is available any longer for free. For the record I much prefer Onshape to Fusion360.

L

Cubify Design is cheap enough, solidworks-ish layout. Its no solidworks thats for sure but its cheap and works for in house modeling. You can only export .stl files for 3d models, you can do .dxf for 2d drawings though. The tools for making prints is somewhat basic though.

Another vote for Fusion 360. Way more bang for no buck than anything else I have looked at, if your just a home/ hobbyist user. Going on 4 years with it now.

Let's say I would try to model a weird helical groove like the cam track of an ar-15 bolt carrier. Is that possible in Fusion 360?

One thing to be wary of the "free" ones is will they still be free down the track.

What is to stop for example Fusion 360 to suddenly become paid usage only. Those with large amounts of models would be forced to pay whatever the rate is to get access to their models. A bit like the recent photobucket debacle.

One thing to be wary of the "free" ones is will they still be free down the track.

What is to stop for example Fusion 360 to suddenly become paid usage only. Those with large amounts of models would be forced to pay whatever the rate is to get access to their models. A bit like the recent photobucket debacle.

Very good point, and everyone banging the F360 drum should know that Autodesk have prior on this.

Delcam had a free version of Powershape called Powershape-E. It was full featured with the exception of export to other file formats. Autodesk cancelled that sharpish after the acquisition. Thread about it here.

Note the first reply from an AD staffer:

"PowerShape –e has been discontinued and there are no plans to re-instate it.

PowerShape –e 2016 will time out in around March 2017 after that PowerShape –e will completely cease to exist.
Users can run PowerShape 2017 in evaluation mode for a month but then have to buy a subscription.
There is no work around customers have to buy the software now."

All the staff replies after that are typical "Guys, really it's for your own benefit" damage control.

If you are accustomed to "real" CAD packages you will most likely find Fusion360 infuriating. I managed to get a legal copy of autodesk inventor but I am not sure that is available any longer for free. For the record I much prefer Onshape to Fusion360.

L

What are the CAM options for Onshape? Anything decent? I'm a big SW user, and I don't hate HSMWorks, but I'm always on the lookout for options.

I haven’t explored enough of the ones available but I am a Solidworks and Solidcam user and I played with Fusion 360 for a year and I am about to jump back into it this week, they are going to offer it for $199 for a year. Something about Fusion just captures me. I really like the look and feel of it. I love how in tune they are with their users. They are heavily involved with the users listening to what they want and that means a lot to me. All these big names charge a whole lot more and their interactions with the community doesn’t come close to the way Fusion does. Just my opinion and everyone is different. All I know Fusion is on to something. They make you feel like you have a say in the direction it goes. The Cam part can be better but not bad for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at an older version of Cadkey, or the re-incarnation which I think is called keycreator. easier to use than any other CAd system and intuitive as well. I still use cadkey99 every day as it still works very well.

check out geomagic. It used to be Alibre. When I looked at it and checked out the trial it seemed to have plenty of functionality. I almost got it, but it was kind of clunky, so opted not to. Now looking at it, I'm not sure which one you'd want. Seems they have focused on form tools, but I assume those are in addition to standard CAD tools. They were perpetual license w/ optional maint. but could be different now.

If this happens, anyone can raise their prices, having to pay between $25 and $300 a year isn't that scray a thought for software that is this good. Fusion is different and does take some time to learn how to use it but I think it is pretty good Cad/Cam software for smaller shops like mine. I can't think of anything close for $300 a year, which is what I have been paying for 3-1/2 years now. Do other Cad programs have the Fusion 360 timeline functions?

If you just need 2d drawing Q cads not bad and is cheap. Its not inventor but its not far of autocad mechanical of old. I use it to draw parts to be laser cut. its fast and easy + low cost.

check out geomagic. It used to be Alibre. When I looked at it and checked out the trial it seemed to have plenty of functionality. I almost got it, but it was kind of clunky, so opted not to. Now looking at it, I'm not sure which one you'd want. Seems they have focused on form tools, but I assume those are in addition to standard CAD tools. They were perpetual license w/ optional maint. but could be different now.

It is back to being Alibre again. first new update in years is due out in a few days,

Quite competitive with Solidworks, although I am not sure how much of a recommendation that is... I do not like Solidworks very much.

Would not call Alibre "clunky", It is pretty intuitive, and capable of a lot of things.

It is back to being Alibre again. first new update in years is due out in a few days,

Quite competitive with Solidworks, although I am not sure how much of a recommendation that is... I do not like Solidworks very much.

Would not call Alibre "clunky", It is pretty intuitive, and capable of a lot of things.

At the time I test drove it, it seemed slow as far as hotkeys and things I like to use. Looks pretty good!

1k, maintenance optional.

Back