What's new
What's new

Cad programs

Lucky Pierre

Plastic
Could you good folks steer me in the right direction please?
:confused: I am considering a Cad program, TurboCad or AutoCad seem to be the main choises.
Which program do you consider the easiest to learn for someone with no previous experience with Cad? :confused:
Thanks Lucky Pierre

Solidworks! Great CAD and very intuitive to use. I was creating real drawings...one's you can machine to...in less than 1 hour.

Joe

Do a search, the link is on the upper right there....that topic has been beaten, kicked, and dragged around quite a few times. Odds are you will find some good ideas in those threads.

Solidworks. IMO with Turbocad, you get pretty much what you spent your 29.95 for. Autocad is an antique, no matter now many upgrades they hang on it. It's still based on 20 yr old, or more, technology.

Solidworks, with Esprit as a CAM.
Can't believe technology today.
Make a complex sketch in Solid...
import to Esprit..viola...Gcode!
I get a 3D model and NC code for the
price of the model...nice!

No confusing conversions...no re-drawing.
Where was this 20 years ago?

BT :D

Have you seen Alibre yet? It's parametric and feature based, all solids. Looks like a SW interface but cost is about a quarter of SW. I have not used it but I know some guys on another board that are happy with it.

I use AutoCad 2000, only because I was trained on this product and I can get legal copies from the university computer service.

Jerry

I would recommend anything but AutoCAD. Even pencil and paper is better.

My personal favorite is FastCAD because of the really great service. They have a user's forum that the head programmer and others on the staff actually monitor and answer questions.

I have personally posted a problem and was able to download the solution in the form of a revision of the program, the very next day. You can't get that kind of service from any other CAD outfit on the planet (or off the planet for that matter).

And you can download it for a free 30 day trial. Thirty days of actual usage, not just calender days.

www.fastcad.com

http://fastcad.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

All the usual disclaimers.

Paul A.

I will mirror EPAIII, no auto-cad. I use Solid Works and am one happy camper. Seems like a lot of $$, but if you have everyday use for it the $$ come back quickly. With Solid Works you can just sketch your part free hand without dimensions and when you fill in the dimensions the part comes to life by itself. Solid Works has error checking so you can check the same 3-D space for interferances or tolerance check parts to insure assembly. You can dynamically bring parts together in your assemblies and actually make them work, rotate, oscillate, etc. Great stuff. When you build your 3-D part the job is done. Detail drawings are made for you with all the views. Cooooooooooooool. ..

TMD

I just completed an autocad 2d (2005)course. I was wondering what the difference was between 2005 and fastcad? Are the commands that much different? What are the differences.

I almost bought the student version, so please tell me if fastcad is better.

Dan

Dan,

Actually a lot of differences, but most are based upon the users and the equipment. Plus Autocad is the world standard, even thou I know it can be a B%$ch some times to use.

Jerry

Thanks for the input folks, I am looking for something for occaisional use. My machining is very much hobby orientated and am not looking for something extracomplicated. or extra expensive!
Lucky Pierre

Differences?

AutoCAD is the world standard - no accounting for taste.

AutoCAD is hard to learn. FastCAD is intutitive. Schools are making a mint teaching AutoCAD. New users can make FastCAD drawings the first day without classes.

AutoCAD is expensive. FastCAD is about 1/4 the price.

AutoCAD is a one way street. I double dog dare you to get a response from them without an extra cost service contract. Evolution Computing (FastCAD) has a web site which the programmers take part in. I have chatted with them on more than one occasion.

AutoCAD is a rip-off. FastCAD is a bargain.

Are there things that AutoCAD will do that FastCAD won't. Yes. Do I need them. I sure hope not.

AutoCAD is the world standard. Management decision: if it's expensive, it must be the best - need I say more. Heaven help the world.

Paul A.

AutoCAD isn't a 3d program. It's a 2d program that's been "hacked" to do 3d. Solidworks is a program that was built to do 3d, and as a result does it much better. I really like solidworks. I use it both at work and at home. There are a number of very powerful add ons for CAM, FEA, CFD, and any number of other useful 3 letter acronyms. It's my program of choice.

-Justin

IMO, the Ashlar products (http://www.ashlar.com) are worth a look for you. As someone else pointed out; your budget will dictate some of your options.

If you want "Solids" modeling capabilities in an Ashlar product, then Cobalt, Xenon or Argon are your choices (decending order of capabilites and price). 2D and 3D drafting can be done in Graphite.

IMHO, Ashlar's interface is difficult to top.

If you required/want collaboration (multiple people working on a project across a network), then SolidWorks is probably the app. SW is also a great choice if you want to animate assemblies, etc.

One small gripe I have with SW though is that they frequently release new versions, and the latest version is often buggy until enough user input rolls in to dictate patches to solve the issues.

Once again... the above is only my opinion and nothing more.

FastCad ...

I still happy with my 1992 DOS version (2D).

Suggest using windows version if you are not savy on DOS

I have been using ashlar-vellum products for 13+ years now. Their programs are very intuitive. When I first got Vellum 2.7, my 13 year old nephew was doing 3D wire frame in just over 1/2 hour! Ashlar has gone through some serious growing pains in the past, but seems to have overcome the issues. The core software for the newer programs was built on and maintained by another company. Ashlar and they split the first of the year.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/PR/pr013004.htm

http://www.csi-concepts.com/PR/pr012505.htm

http://www.csi-concepts.com

My point in all this is check Cadsoft solutions out too. They have several options. Personally I think they will eclipse ashlar and their pricing is better. One downside I beleive they still use a hardware lock and ashlar discontinued theirs.

I looked at Alibre and was impressed but I am sticking with what I know for now. Alibre and Rhino together for $995 or Alibre Pro + Rhino $1495 (has limited cam) - fantastic deals at:

http://www.ohyeahcad.com/catalog/index.php

Back