What's new
What's new

CAM for CNC code for cutting trispokedovetiles (3-spoke dovetailing tiles)

Peter Dow

Plastic
Why does anyone want to make these besides you? What was your application for the tiles?

Only any use for near zero diameter cutters, so laser and possibly plasma as sharp outside corners will not mesh with tool-radius inside corners,

- Nick

Peter Dow, no problem, just need to know the "kerf" of the process used, Waterjet or laser depending upon material

Pay attention to the corners, no sharp but .010r is good.
do this:
Calibration cuts prior to production run.

A mold will co$t.....

BEWARE BAD LINKS ABOVE!
I lost my website hosting in January. I was not "hacked" but the gcehosting administrator seems to have gone out of business and the hosting company he was using (godaddy) is serving various spurious adverts whenever anyone clicks one of my old links.
I have got the following pages back on-line with a different hosting company now so try these links. :)
LINKS
I can't edit my earlier posts to correct the old links, sorry.
I've not done anything with this project since January.

Tri spoke. Laser cut with oxygen as an assist gas. None fell through as the kerf is so freekin small. Whole puzel came of the machine in one piece. 6 pierces total? Co edge cutting. They can be removed and put in any configuration. The bi spoke sample has 6 pierces and I could have made all lead in pierces but did not. That piece was a small blank and on the last cut if fell through the grid. Still, only 2 pieces came out of the nest, it is that snug.
0703171718.jpg
0703171717.jpg0703171721.jpg0703171726.jpg

Tri spoke. Laser cut with oxygen as an assist gas. None fell through as the kerf is so freekin small. Whole puzel came of the machine in one piece. 6 pierces total? Co edge cutting. They can be removed and put in any configuration. The bi spoke sample has 6 pierces and I could have made all lead in pierces but did not. That piece was a small blank and on the last cut if fell through the grid. Still, only 2 pieces came out of the nest, it is that snug.
View attachment 202585
View attachment 202586View attachment 202587View attachment 202588
Very nice. Those are the first metal trispokedovetiles I have seen cut.

Did you use my Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles by Peter Dow page to generate the CNC code?

I'm thinking you may have used another method to CAM the tri spokes because you must have used your own CAM method for your original bi spoke tiles, shown in your 4th photograph, because my web-page only does tri spokes, not bi spokes.

Last edited:
Drawn in Autocad, blocked, nested and exported as a .dxf. Laser cutter control takes dxf files directly, others too. Once the nest was on the screen I selected the Co Edge icon and the software eliminated all double lines so the laser never traced over any cut lines. I did not use any lead ins and let the control pierce where it wanted to. I could have used lead ins at any pierce that was at the edge of the nest.

Back