What's new
What's new

CAM for Complex Turning

boosted

Stainless
Just got done with a FeatureCAM demo, and we were really impressed. What other software should we be considering for turning? We do a lot of low volume, high complexity parts.

We have Esprit 20xx, but it's just not up to the challenge anymore. The age of the software is really starting to show, especially with 5 axis milling on the millturns.

We have a couple of DMG MORI NTX platforms with lower turrets, 2 sub-spindle Y-axis lathes, and a Citizen. Multi channel support, and good simulation are critical.

I'm looking for insight from other users who like to push the limits of their machines and software. Are there any premium platforms we may not have considered? Would like to make sure we haven't missed anything, before giving FeatureCAM a whirl.

We have Esprit 20xx, but it's just not up to the challenge anymore. The age of the software is really starting to show, especially with 5 axis milling on the millturns.

Really surprised to hear this. What are you trying to do that Esprit can't handle? The nice thing about Esprit is if you find its missing something you can usually program the functionality into it.
It has been 3 or 4 years since I looked at FeatureCam, was not impressed then...maybe it's time I take another look.
The only other software worth looking at would be NX.

What are you trying to do that Esprit can't handle?

I've been using Esprit for about 5 years. I like the software, but it was old when I started using it, and hasn't changed much.
Esprit just plain sucks at 5 axis milling. I mean, sure it can do almost everything; it's just really slow and clunky.

We moved from Esprit to hyperMILL for our mills about 10 months ago. It was a very eye-opening experience to see how much better the new software handled those complex tasks. I have been hoping we could find another software that could yield the same kind of improvements for our turning department.

I think we may have to take a second look at NX. Been avoiding it because I worry it might be as cumbersome as CATIA.

Have you looked at TNG? I can't give any first hand experience feedback but videos I've seen look promising. I would expect it to be their main show piece at IMTS this year since it has already started to slowly leak out to users.

Have you looked at TNG?

We have TNG. We got the beta over a year ago. There were a lot of promising features, but I don't believe their team is big enough to get it truly market ready any time in the near future. Multi channel support is still very far away as well.

Honestly the terrible implementation of TNG is what made me completely lose faith in Esprit.

Back