What's new
What's new

Cam Software

Chris Harris

Cast Iron
I am a SolidWorks user and looking for a new Milling CAM package. Can I get some suggestions for 3D Cam software please. I am running a Heidenhain Mill - not that that makes any difference.

I would prefer an integrated option but there may be good advice against that as well.

Thanks in advance.

I am a SolidWorks user and looking for a new Milling CAM package. Can I get some suggestions for 3D Cam software please. I am running a Heidenhain Mill - not that that makes any difference.

I would prefer an integrated option but there may be good advice against that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hsmworks is where I would start its free 2.5D

Thank you. I downloaded HSM but the free version is 2.5 D only. I need 3D machining on the mill. I see that HSMWorks is $7,500 per seat. Does that seem to be a reasonable price? I have no idea what good CAM packages run nowadays.

Thank you. I downloaded HSM but the free version is 2.5 D only. I need 3D machining on the mill. I see that HSMWorks is $7,500 per seat. Does that seem to be a reasonable price? I have no idea what good CAM packages run nowadays.

That's about right for a "professional" system some cheaper options but not integrated into solidworks.

Its like we do this once a week...and the answers just get repeated over and over and over. OP has 330+ posts so I can't give the benefit of the doubt of being a newb...just plain lazy then?
As has been said many times before...if you have no money and want the best full cad/cam with 3D milling go get fusion360. You still want to run SW and want full 3D...go buy HSMworks. Anything else is gonna take big money.

Last edited:
I have heard several bad reports about MC. Apparently it is the king on the block but old and with too many bugs and the coding is dated. I hear that the more modern packages provide superior tool paths and functionality. Another downside is that it does not intergrate with SW. This what I have been told.

I have heard several bad reports about MC. Apparently it is the king on the block but old and with too many bugs and the coding is dated. I hear that the more modern packages provide superior tool paths and functionality. Another downside is that it does not intergrate with SW. This what I have been told.

As, much as I don't want to but Mastercam has good toolpath but these toolpaths comes from ModuleWorks. The interface is getting dated and how mastercam handles solids is dated you have draw or extract geometry to get the toolpath to do what you want.

Mastercam does integrate with Solidworks and is included in the license package now.

Mastercam has "Mastercam for Solidworks" ...:confused:

Mastercam CAD/CAM Software > Solutions > Integrated CAD Solutions

But like gooose said, this has been done a million times! I would recommend mastercam because I know it. Adelpo (spelling?) will recommend bobcad because he works for them, Joe Blow will recommend surfcam because he is really good with that...

I would look at OneCNC. Patrick from OneCNC West gives the best support I've ever seen! And the program will easily import Solidworks files. I do it every day. Another thing to note, OneCNC will do 4th axis work really well and easily as compared to other Cam programs I've seen. And I think Patrick is giving out some pretty hot discounts right now!

I would look at OneCNC. Patrick from OneCNC West gives the best support I've ever seen! And the program will easily import Solidworks files. I do it every day. Another thing to note, OneCNC will do 4th axis work really well and easily as compared to other Cam programs I've seen. And I think Patrick is giving out some pretty hot discounts right now!

I have OneCNC Expert right now. It is a good package but I have converted my CAD to SolidWorks hence my questions about a good CAM for SW. Also Patrick does not service my area (North Dakota).

If I do not find a suitable CAM package I will simply do as you are doing - convert the SW solids and run the CAM in OnceCNC.

Then the people you've been talking to are wrong.
Find someone that knows Mastercam and put the time and effort into actually learning it and setting it up how they want it.
Old and dated is just someone hating on MC and they are ignorant, UNLESS they are talking about the lathe stuff.
Expensive, yeah I could agree with that.
And it does integrate with Solidworks, there is an add-on called Mastercam for Solidworks.

What about HSMWorks?

Intuitive, integrates incredibly well inside SolidWorks, has free 2.5D functionality to try for as long as you want and will give you a 30-day trial with the push of a button in the CAM toolbar. What do you have to lose if you already have SolidWorks? Go try it!

Look at Solidcam. It's integrated and has fantastic toolpaths. Best customer service and tech support I've had for any product, not just software. Not cheap though.
Jordy

Back