What's new
What's new

Is CAM-TOOL a relevant cam software anymore?

Qwan

Cast Iron
The other day a former colleague was touting cam-tool's alleged superiority over all other cam systems which caused me to chuckle a bit. I want to post here because he reads this forum and I wanted to get a discussion out in the open to gather some industry input from those who use it or have knowledge on it.

Firstly, I don't use it but know a few businesses which do. A while ago a couple of those shops used it for hard finishing only but I don't know how far they've come. Looking at cam-tool's web site it appears they have not changed much over the years but web sites can be woefully inadequate for technical software. I know they used to push their ability to calculate CL points using offset surfs rather than meshing a model; saying that meshing was sooo inaccurate, lol. I always found that claim hilarious because even when mathing by offsetting surfs there will always be tolerances involved in some situations such as Z-level cutting a tilted cylinder. I know NX added exact offset calculation a while back but, again, there will always be some instances where math tolerancing will be involved. Is cam-tool cam only still? I thought they were cutting surfaces only but added STL cutting not too long ago; again, not sure. Do they have adaptive roughing? Solid modeling? Drafting? Assemblies? I have seen some of my friends high Rc parts and they are definitely beautiful pieces but I have seem equally nice parts from NX, Cimmatron, Mastercam, etc-.

Any opinions out there?

NX 11.0.2
NX 12.0.2

The other day a former colleague was touting cam-tool's alleged superiority over all other cam systems which caused me to chuckle a bit. I want to post here because he reads this forum and I wanted to get a discussion out in the open to gather some industry input from those who use it or have knowledge on it.

Firstly, I don't use it but know a few businesses which do. A while ago a couple of those shops used it for hard finishing only but I don't know how far they've come. Looking at cam-tool's web site it appears they have not changed much over the years but web sites can be woefully inadequate for technical software. I know they used to push their ability to calculate CL points using offset surfs rather than meshing a model; saying that meshing was sooo inaccurate, lol. I always found that claim hilarious because even when mathing by offsetting surfs there will always be tolerances involved in some situations such as Z-level cutting a tilted cylinder. I know NX added exact offset calculation a while back but, again, there will always be some instances where math tolerancing will be involved. Is cam-tool cam only still? I thought they were cutting surfaces only but added STL cutting not too long ago; again, not sure. Do they have adaptive roughing? Solid modeling? Drafting? Assemblies? I have seen some of my friends high Rc parts and they are definitely beautiful pieces but I have seem equally nice parts from NX, Cimmatron, Mastercam, etc-.

Any opinions out there?

NX 11.0.2
NX 12.0.2

if machinist can program in 5 minutes make part and be done in less than a hour dont matter what software.
NX is famous for being difficult to learn and being complicated. i have known shops having trouble competing cause they charged $1000. to program anything.
rarely is "better" software thats saves 5 minutes running a program worth it if it costs $1000.'s a year. seen that before spending over $100. trying to save $5.

if machinist can program in 5 minutes make part and be done in less than a hour dont matter what software.
NX is famous for being difficult to learn and being complicated. i have known shops having trouble competing cause they charged $1000. to program anything.
rarely is "better" software thats saves 5 minutes running a program worth it if it costs $1000.'s a year. seen that before spending over $100. trying to save $5.

Hmm, reply was so off topic and I wasn't looking for opinions about viability of mid and low-tier cad cam software compared to high end software so I'll take your answer as "never used cam-tool nor do I know anyone who uses it". There is a lot of software which has steep learning curves; mid range software as well as high range. If software has a quick learning curve and is inexpensive then it simply isn't robust. If any shop has problems getting work at their rate then they are in the wrong niche and will probably close their doors sooner than later. You will not see many shops using 4-digit priced software producing large and complex aerospace and military parts. Just doesn't happen much. As for the parts and molds which can be programmed in five minutes, let's leave that work to shops who can make them manually and/or in a garage.

Back