What's new
What's new

Camworks multiaxis no cutter comp?

RoboMiller

Cast Iron
our shop does not have 3d mill software so i asked our software supplier to make me a program. he says when using multiaxis toolpaths you dont get cutter comp? sounds like a bunch of bs to me. every shop using 3d mill and camworks right now just has 5+ different programs in their machine with programmed larger or smaller tools to keep holding tolerance?

I don't think you can use cutter comp to be honest. I know the Haas machined o have a code for 3d comp, G141, but I have not seen it used in my programs. I will check in Mastercam and see if comp output is even an option for 5 axis toolpaths.

I stand corrected. There are some multiaxis toolpaths in Mastercam that allow comp. I don't know if it would use the before mentioned G141 as I have always programmed using computer comp (tool diameter as programmed, no comp at machine). Probably depends on your machine tool as well as your cam system...

your shop doesn't have 3D cam but you are complaining about lack of 5 axis cutter comp in your camworks package????
sounds like you're trying to run before you can crawl.

do you even have a five axis machine that will accept 5 ax cutter comp? this is a pretty high end option even though it has been availble for over 20 years on some controls. IIRC it was not bullet proof back in the day..... but that was then, this is now. (??)

first of all i want to thank you mkd for not answering my question at all. secondly im not complaining, im asking a damn valid question. to answer yours, no, i do not have a 5 axis machine nor am i doing a full 5axis toolpaths. 3d mill is required in my current application to machine a spherical radius with a full rad kewyway cutter. only xyandz will be moving. the machine is a new vf2 which i "ass u me" can use a cutter comp in this situation.

Well with that said, I don't think cutter comp will work for you. I don't know, maybe the 3d comp does this, I don't know. But, I think trying to use cutter comp in a 3d surfacing path is not a good idea. I thought you meant multiaxis as in 4 or 5 axis. Anyways, unless your 3d motion is all one direction (not likely IMO) I would think the code would have to switch back and forth between left and right comp, correct? I am thinking a tool moving back in forth in xyz would have to comp to the left for one pass, then to the right as it comes back the opposite way. Again, I don't know, maybe this is what the 3d comp is for? Maybe someone else can answer this better than me...

i would imagine a g141 would work because during regular helical interpolation g41 pulls it off. im basically doing the same thing here, i just need cam to understand the tangency point.

FWIW the haas control says g141 for 3d+ cutter comp and g143 for 5axis cutter comp. if i can use them or not is another story, im thinking i could use the g141. this machine has some options.

i would imagine a g141 would work because during regular helical interpolation g41 pulls it off. im basically doing the same thing here, i just need cam to understand the tangency point.

FWIW the haas control says g141 for 3d+ cutter comp and g143 for 5axis cutter comp. if i can use them or not is another story, im thinking i could use the g141. this machine has some options.

Except that in a helical move you have two offsets working, G41/42 (depending on climb or conventional cut) and G43 for your Z, and they are independent of each other.

I haven't tried G141 but I wonder if there's not more to it than just specifying G141 D1 (upon Googling it, found this explanation... seems like it could be a real easy way screw something up if not handled just right Haas Mill G141 3D+ Cutter Compensation - GCodes.net ).

Edit: also CAMWorks blows. :D

After a little more thinking, I can imagine an easy scenario in which G141 can screw things up: surface finish. Now if you are doing some very "hilly" 3D surfacing I could see how it can be useful to maintain an accurate profile, but any sort of radial offset is going to change the toolpath just as a G41/42 will, except you've programmed for a finish presumably and I wonder if it will change your stepover. If the tool is so worn it needs offsetting for anything outside of extremely precise mold work, I'd just put in a new tool.

Except that in a helical move you have two offsets working, G41/42 (depending on climb or conventional cut) and G43 for your Z, and they are independent of each other.

I haven't tried G141 but I wonder if there's not more to it than just specifying G141 D1 (upon Googling it, found this explanation... seems like it could be a real easy way screw something up if not handled just right Haas Mill G141 3D+ Cutter Compensation - GCodes.net ).

Edit: also CAMWorks blows. :D

huh!?!. learn something new every day.
oh, the shame...I wasn't even aware of G141.

now that i know what you are tying to do and viewing ATOM's link... it *looks like you will need to have your post tweaked to out put I,J and Ks in addition to XYZ.

mastercan NCI files have IJKs by default, but i don't know how camworks does it.

interesting topic.

CAMWorks does IJK's by default in both our Fadal and Haas posts.

It outputs good code generally speaking.

RoboMiller: what are you 3D milling that needs cutter comp?

ATOM i am milling a 5/8 spherical radius in a small part that is designed for a ball shaped bushing to pop in.

i think G41 will work. the machine thinks its just ramping down, just needed 3d cad to spit out the proper code.

i have run it with the offset but its tough to measure that feature. i also broach this part and its leaving a burr until i zero everything in and that might be keeping the ball from seating all the way. but this looks promising.

I'll bet you could pop in a G41 on its own very short linear move line before and after the actual toolpath manually. CAMWorks seems to utilize this all the time anyway so the cutter is always comped before and after the cut.

Back