What's new
What's new

CAMWORKS post for a Brother Tapping Center

Pete Deal

Titanium
I just bought Solidworks 2018 and it includes CAMworks. My intent is to use it with my Brother TC-S2A. I have been incrementally working on getting a post working. Is anybody here using CAMworks with a brother and got a post for it?

I am stuck for the moment with tapping. The brother uses the G77 cycle for rigid tapping. This cycle uses either J(tpi) or I(pitch) to specify the feed rate. Since i am using inch measurements CAMworks spits out a threads per inch number for metric taps which is how the metric taps are specified in the tool crib too. So for a m3x0.5 tap it spits out F.0197 for the tapping feed rate. I am going to call Yamazen to verify but I suspect the G77 cycle will accept J.0197 for the feed rate. But is 4 figures (.0001) good enough for rigid tapping or does it need to go out to 5 (.00001)? I think on my mazak lathe I specify the thread feed out to 5 digits.

Any insight that is out there I would be grateful for.

J = threads per inch
I = metric pitch, much easier to use. (assuming you control uses the same format as the one I have)
ie 1.0, 1.25. etc.....
Frank from Yamazen told me he uses I does not equal inch as a reminder.

J = threads per inch
I = metric pitch, much easier to use. (assuming you control uses the same format as the one I have)
ie 1.0, 1.25. etc.....
Frank from Yamazen told me he uses I does not equal inch as a reminder.

Ya. Always thought that was super logical.

Our HSMWorks post just looks at how the tool is defined (metric/inch) and outputs I/J based on that.. Never had an issue, but using B00 control, your s2a is probably A00

A00 control yes. I am still pretty green with this but in CAMworks one of the first things you do is to select the inch or metric tech database. I work mostly in inch so selected the inch. After that it seems to internally work completely in inches. Even metric taps defined in the tool crib are specified with inch pitches and inch diameters. I think i said it wrong above I think the feed would be J50.8 (50.8 threads per inch for an m3x0.5 tap). I assume the G77 will work with such a pitch. I will try it by hand to see. Then try to modify the post.

Our HSMWorks post just looks at how the tool is defined (metric/inch) and outputs I/J based on that.. Never had an issue, but using B00 control, your s2a is probably A00

Its the same for the older controller as well

A00 control yes. I am still pretty green with this but in CAMworks one of the first things you do is to select the inch or metric tech database. I work mostly in inch so selected the inch. After that it seems to internally work completely in inches. Even metric taps defined in the tool crib are specified with inch pitches and inch diameters. I think i said it wrong above I think the feed would be J50.8 (50.8 threads per inch for an m3x0.5 tap). I assume the G77 will work with such a pitch. I will try it by hand to see. Then try to modify the post.

J50.8 will work just fine

I just bought Solidworks 2018 and it includes CAMworks. My intent is to use it with my Brother TC-S2A. I have been incrementally working on getting a post working. Is anybody here using CAMworks with a brother and got a post for it?

I've been using Camworks (full version) for 11 years, and am pretty decent at writing posts. I don't have a Brother post, but probably can help you as far as answering questions if you're writing your own. I'll be off until Jan 2, though.

Actually they are all C00. Speedio 450, 500, 700. :)

BrotherFrank and I talk about what been there in the past controls. I always have lots of questions, he always has or gets the answer. :)

Rainman the genious of CAMworks post processing PM'd me the code and I now have a mostly working Brother A00 post for CAMworks/SW CAM. I say mostly because I know I still have tweaking to do but this gets, i hope, the worst of it. Thanks Rainman!

No problem Pete. No genius here. Just have been working with it for a number of years, with much weeping and gnashing of teeth along the way.

Back