What's new
What's new

Camworks vs Solidcam

rainman

Cast Iron
Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on which one of these is "better"? I realize when comparing any two CAM systems, some are stronger/weaker on certain things than others, so I get that. I'm looking for info from someone who has recent experience with both (if possible), not comparing 2005 version of one vs 2015 version of the other. Thanks in advance.

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on which one of these is "better"? I realize when comparing any two CAM systems, some are stronger/weaker on certain things than others, so I get that. I'm looking for info from someone who has recent experience with both (if possible), not comparing 2005 version of one vs 2015 version of the other. Thanks in advance.

It's been beat to death around here so you won't get much response. Do some searching.

That being said you need to specify what exactly you are trying to do, HSMworks for example is awesome for milling, but sucks pretty bad for turning.

I'd definitely try Solidcam before going back to CAMWorks. Hopefully they don't have the same "feature" garbage that limits sane toolpath ordering (or at least before it becomes a bloated mess). At least Solidcam has iMachining which looks pretty good. Volumill is meh.

Full disclosure: I use HSMXpress, and used to use CAMWorks. I hate it. Unintuitive and the tool library is a nightmare. Can't speak for Solidcam.

Another vote for 'stay the hell away from CAMWorks. It's usable if you're willing to spend a lot of time (and money, and wasted parts) to learn it's many quirks, but it sure isn't primo software. I've been away from it almost a year now so *maybe* it got better, but I highly doubt it.

Also you have to use Microsoft Access for the tool database, and strategy database, and.. It's painful. But it works.

Toolpath simulation was pretty good, once you finally got decent 'paths. I did like that about the software. Beware of 3d paths though, they take foreeeeever to calculate.

Volumill is extra. No other HSM options that I ever found.

I'd definitely try Solidcam before going back to CAMWorks. Hopefully they don't have the same "feature" garbage that limits sane toolpath ordering (or at least before it becomes a bloated mess). At least Solidcam has iMachining which looks pretty good. Volumill is meh.

Full disclosure: I use HSMXpress, and used to use CAMWorks. I hate it. Unintuitive and the tool library is a nightmare. Can't speak for Solidcam.

I've actually been interested in trying Solidcam lately. They're claiming tons of 5x support and some multi-tasking stuff that isn't found in many packages. Back when I tried it, it was a disorganized mess, so i'm hesitant to believe they've turned the ship around that quickly.

Again though, what are you looking to do with the software? Aside from some fringe cases, there's like three SW integrated CAM packages that excel at 3-3+2 mill work over the two you listed, and if you're looking for simultaneous 5x or crazy turning, none of the integrated packages really excel there.

Volumill is extra. No other HSM options that I ever found.

Best I can tell is there are three versions of iMachining as well, so I view it as somewhat similar (if someone can clarify, I'd like to know). Didn't mean to make it seem as though Volumill is included. CAMWorks has an adaptive clearing routine that's pretty sad, but it is there. We had to use it on some parts we made for one of the universities around here.

Thanks for the input. Right now, we're using Camworks 2015, and have used it since 2006. Yes, it's quirky, but it seems like many packages are in their own way. And yes, it takes a while to get the Tech Database (tools and strategies) the way you like, but once you do it works pretty well. Posts are bad, but aren't they in most packages? I've already tweaked mine so they work well. Another tedious task, but once done, you're good.

What our company is looking in to is going to one common CAM package among the divisions. We use Camworks, parent company uses GibbsCam. They say they don't really like GibbsCam very well. Don't know the extent of their work, but I do 2.5X mill, some 3X surfacing, 4X VMC rotary, 2X lathe, and mill/turn with subspindle. Although I went though a lot of labor pains initially, it now does what I need it to do, and since I've been using for 9 years, I'm pretty comfortable with it. I'm not real anxious to change, but would if there was a distinct advantage worth going through all the stuff that it takes to start up a new package. Parent company will evaluate Camworks (via a demo by me), and decide if they want to go with it, or seek a 3rd package. I doubt they want to stay with Gibbs.

What don't they like about Gibbscam? Just curious. I used it at my first job and had no problems, was pretty user friendly IMO, and at my second job I didn't do any programming but they were using Gibbs for dual spindle multitasking machines.

Sorry if this is taking it too OT.

No, that's fine. I don't know. I was just told by their programmer that they didn't particularly like it. Don't know why.

does solidcam still blow up your hard drive with millions of files for one job?:angry:

With all the latest updates to SolidCAM, what are peoples feelings on it? I've been demoing it for about a month now and I still have mixed feelings. I haven't really found any good solutions other than SolidCAM that fit my needs. iMachining is pretty nice. I haven't been a huge fan of HSS toolpaths - when a tool is too large for an internal corner it does really wacky things. I haven't experimented with HSM or HSR since I do not plan to buy that option(only 2d iMachining and HSS).

Any additional input? Mastercam, Delcam, bobcam(ugh), HSMWorks(autodesk issue), CamWorks are all off the table for various reasons and in my price range I'm coming down to the end of the line. As a 100% SolidWorks user(required for 80% of my work - design) I haven't found anything else to turn to.

Any ideas?

With all the latest updates to SolidCAM, what are peoples feelings on it? I've been demoing it for about a month now and I still have mixed feelings. I haven't really found any good solutions other than SolidCAM that fit my needs. iMachining is pretty nice. I haven't been a huge fan of HSS toolpaths - when a tool is too large for an internal corner it does really wacky things. I haven't experimented with HSM or HSR since I do not plan to buy that option(only 2d iMachining and HSS).

Any additional input? Mastercam, Delcam, bobcam(ugh), HSMWorks(autodesk issue), CamWorks are all off the table for various reasons and in my price range I'm coming down to the end of the line. As a 100% SolidWorks user(required for 80% of my work - design) I haven't found anything else to turn to.

Any ideas?

I feel your pain. None of them seem that great. What are some of the things you don't like about SolidCAM? I spoke with them last week about getting a demo version.

Thanks for the input. Right now, we're using Camworks 2015, and have used it since 2006. Yes, it's quirky, but it seems like many packages are in their own way. And yes, it takes a while to get the Tech Database (tools and strategies) the way you like, but once you do it works pretty well. Posts are bad, but aren't they in most packages? I've already tweaked mine so they work well. Another tedious task, but once done, you're good.

What our company is looking in to is going to one common CAM package among the divisions. We use Camworks, parent company uses GibbsCam. They say they don't really like GibbsCam very well. Don't know the extent of their work, but I do 2.5X mill, some 3X surfacing, 4X VMC rotary, 2X lathe, and mill/turn with subspindle. Although I went though a lot of labor pains initially, it now does what I need it to do, and since I've been using for 9 years, I'm pretty comfortable with it. I'm not real anxious to change, but would if there was a distinct advantage worth going through all the stuff that it takes to start up a new package. Parent company will evaluate Camworks (via a demo by me), and decide if they want to go with it, or seek a 3rd package. I doubt they want to stay with Gibbs.

I have to say no, not really to that (bold). Long time MCX user here. The "out of the box" haas machine posts have been solid for me in my 10 years with it. Not perfect, but mostly just gripes (date time code, too little/much tool info, etc). No crashes, except one time (again, in about a 10 year span) it did not switch planes back to g17 and I got a big whammie!. :angry: I don't have any experience with the two cam packs you mentioned however...

I feel your pain. None of them seem that great. What are some of the things you don't like about SolidCAM? I spoke with them last week about getting a demo version.

Primarily its speed, I'm trying out the "work externally" feature right now but I don't have any complex parts needing programming at the moment. Every time you go to calculate a tool path or simulate something the software hangs while it does its thing, the highest CPU usage I've ever seen while calculating toolpath is 12% which boggles me a little bit. I have a I7 CPU, SSD's, 20GB ram and a Quadro 3000, I wouldn't expect it to hang the way it does. I have had to deal with a number of crashes but lately I've been patient with it and found things not to do and I haven't had it crash in a while.

The positive side of SolidCAM is its a VERY powerful piece of software.

Regarding HSMworks - read up on how autodesk has changed the future of that software, development, pricing, structure, etc. I'm not spending my hard earned money on a product that might not exist in a couple years.

Regarding HSMworks - read up on how autodesk has changed the future of that software, development, pricing, structure, etc. I'm not spending my hard earned money on a product that might not exist in a couple years.

Yeah, Lonnie.. I feel you need more education on that subject. :D

Looks like we found the autodesk HSM fanboi ;)

I'm a fan of what they do right, for sure, and they've gotten a LOT right.

They've also gotten ALOT wrong, but I atleast feel like they're pretty honest about those things. From sitting with near-everyone-else over the last year, near-everyone-else is in denial.

Back