What's new
What's new

Changes coming to Autodesk?

Stock market mumbo jumbo. I wouldn't worry about speculation of something that may happen in 6 months. Besides, the rumor last year was that AutoDesk was merging with Adobe...that never happened.

In memoriam to Solid Edge's past under Karsten Newbury and Don Cooper and to Autodesk's Inventor Pro HSM the future run by a guy who can cut his own chips if he can control the hostile institutional share holders. Autodesk now under hostile Investor Fund watch.

I am not going to bother reading the 'news' of anyone who would write a sentence like that. Am I supposed to take him seriously after reading that jargon? I can't even figure out what that's supposed to TELL ME.

I also generally discredit anyone's opinion that relies on copy/pasting dictionary terms of a name, trying to apply meanings that may be irrelevant. It's like searching through a photo trying to find a way to draw a triangle so you can cry ILLUMINATI!

Thanks for posting a wanky link that I'm not going to click rather than your own synopsis of the possibilities.
I'll worry about it if it happens or if someone makes a coherent post about it :D

- Nick

ADSK: Summary for Autodesk, Inc.- Yahoo! Finance

There are a couple of articles in the Yahoo Finance Autodesk listing, from the last couple of weeks, that discuss this situation. Probably not good for Autodesk in the longer term; my personal experience with private equity and hedge funds buying into companies, then getting board seats, is that the company gets dismantled and sold off so the hedge fund twits get their cash. Many others lose their jobs.

When they sell Powermill to Bobcad, don't say I didn't warn you. Seriously I just wanted people to be aware of this before they invest their time and money with Autodesk software.

Wasn't Iscar bought by Buffets hedge fund? Didn't see a yard sale there.

Yes, but when Staples was part of Romney's Hedge fund, everyone ran away afterwards .....

What's your point?

Disclaimer: I am an active PDSU subscriber and absolutely hate anything/everything SAS.
So just to make it clear, once subscription price gets to be out of this world and there is no alternative, I will simply keep what I have and figure
out a way to make it do what's needed.

At the very worst, AutoCad Rel.14 is still fully functional and reliable on everything Win XP and before. (can't make it work on Win7 or above tho ..... )
That also means that there will not be any AC360 or Fusion360 in my future plans.

After going subscription only and then forcing changes to their license managers so you can't keep using your existing software, not to mention what they did to HSMWorks, not to mention the general abomination that is AutoCAD, no amount of pain that comes to Autodesk is too much. Couldn't happen to nicer people.

So just to make it clear, once subscription price gets to be out of this world and there is no alternative, I will simply keep what I have and figure
out a way to make it do what's needed.

There are always alternatives. There are a lot of people making a lot of money without Autodesk, ourselves included. If they disappeared tomorrow we wouldn't even notice. It's unfortunate for Autodesk employees if this were to happen, but as end-users, we have a lot of choices, and we've chosen other alternatives already.

Dan

I actually followed the link and read this 'article'...it was painful, to say the least. Kind of like the drunk guy at a bar who stumbles up to you and jumps right in to continue a conversation he started with a buddy. Last week. At a different bar.

And based on my experiences with anything AutoDesk the last 5-7 years, these guys probably need some "hostile" leadership.

CAD/CAM programs come and go, and get better or worse over time. If your entire business model is dependent on the continuing existence of a third-party software system, well, you're pretty much screwed anyway. The times, they are a changin'.

Don't run your business to fit a software; find software to fit your business, and its future.

OT: And try to remember that "Hedge Fund" isn't necessarily code for "Evil Incarnate" - the market is what it is. There are good investment firms, and bad investment firms, just like there are good companies and bad companies. Going public is a risk v. reward proposition, just like buying individual stocks (which I will not do under any circumstance.) The lack of control in the stock market, and the absence of anything tangible is why I choose to invest in my business and real estate (after maxing out my Roth IRA.)

Maybe but I bet it will next to further push everyone to Inventor HSM and Fusion 360

Well that's exactly it - why would AutoDesk (or Dassault, or whoever) want to own 2, or 3 or 4 different versions of software that all do very similar things? At that point they're competing with themselves, and not even doing it very efficiently.

I would expect to see whatever unique features these soon to be defunct CAM packages have showing up in the more complete, more successful packages.

As far as HSM goes, keep in mind HSMXpress is the gateway into CAM for people and companies that don't have CAM because it's actually really solid 2.5 axis software, and it's extremely intuitive for CAD users (it's just an add-in for what they already use!) I can't see them limiting access to that any time soon.

Back