What's new
What's new

CNC Mill Controller

SpinDoctor

Plastic
I am sure there are quite a few posts about building your own CNC mill, but I was wondering if anyone has a controller that they prefer for one reason or another. I do mechanical design for a living, but I don't know much about the controller and servo/stepper motor portion of this for machining metal (aluminum and/or steel). Has anyone built a router table and used a controller that works well? Or, do you have advice when looking for a controller and drive motors?

Any information or advice would be helpful.

Thank you

Welcome to the forum. This might be worth a search in Google to get you started:

practical machinist cnc controller

Browse through to get some "flavor" of what people think, then check out websites for the controls frequently mentioned. Letting us know the size and power levels you're shooting for would help too. Keep in mind this is mostly a professional forum, smaller and hobby equipment is usually better served on sites with that as their main focus.

Most capable lathe control = Okuma
Fastest lathe control for programming in tool shop = Mazatrol
Best Mill control = Haas

I am sure there are quite a few posts about building your own CNC mill, but I was wondering if anyone has a controller that they prefer for one reason or another. I do mechanical design for a living, but I don't know much about the controller and servo/stepper motor portion of this for machining metal (aluminum and/or steel). Has anyone built a router table and used a controller that works well? Or, do you have advice when looking for a controller and drive motors?

Any information or advice would be helpful.

Thank you

I have Centroid CNC controls mounted to a bed mill and have been very happy with the system. It is well thought out with intuitive and easy to use controls. Plan to spend about $10,000 for the servos, computer and electronics.
Since you live in Oregon, you may want to contact Jerry at AMR (Advanced Machinery Resources) in Portland or Marc Leonard at CNC Services NW in Bellingham, WA.
Jerry may be able to sell you a fully functioning used machine for less than you can build one.
If you are looking for a router system instead of a milling machine, just find a used Shopbot. Whatever you build for the same money, the Shopbot will be better.

Building a "CNC mill" is a major undertaking.
In cash $$$ and in hours and in needed kit and skills.

It is much more expensive than buying a used one, and perhaps retrofitting with some new stuff.
There may still be reasons to do so..
but "saving money" in the short term it not a (real) reason.

Haas the best mill control? You obviously haven't been reading here about all the complaints about HAAS.

If you have good working HAAS then you are probably the exception.

Back