What's new
What's new

From conversational to CAM

SamS

Plastic
We are currently using our Hurco's conversational programming to program all of our parts. It is working out alright, I have plenty of experience with this control but we want to make the switch to Fusion, especially on bigger programs. I also have a lot of CAD experience, so learning that is not the issue. Neither me nor my partner have post processed to a machine before so we are trying to learn the all the details of that process. IE. how tools are set, where the tool offset is set (computer or control), trusting scary looking numbers generated from CAM system with new roughing strategies! We are trying to do this all while starting this shop from scrap, winning work etc. So I am just looking for some general advice/valuable lessons people have learned from making the conversion to full CAM. Thanks for any help!

Most if not all cam systems should allow you to post your program and have it look exactly how you want it to look.
Does Hurco use standard G Code style programs?

To figure out the post processor, program up a simple part that contains the features you use (boring, tapping, facing, tool changing, length compensation, diameter compensation, etc) and post it out. Compare the code that comes out with what your control expects for the various functions. Then that way you know what needs to be changed, and can focus on searching for how to change those codes.

If you're handy with computer programming, and ideally javascript, modifying the Fusion post processors isn't too bad. There are a few videos around that can get you started. If you don't have the time or skill set, you're going to have to find someone to edit for you.

If you are going to be using Fusion, Autodesk has some Hurco post processors. They may have to be modified to suit your needs, but they are a good start. If you are just getting started with CAM, Autodesk has quite a few Youtube videos that can be helpful.

Autodesk CAM | Post Library

Look to the right and there should be Hurco in the vendor section.

Most if not all cam systems should allow you to post your program and have it look exactly how you want it to look.
Does Hurco use standard G Code style programs?

It has an option for fanuc style code. So I ASSume if anything a fanuc post could get you in the ballpark.

We run Gibbscam into our Hurco's. Pretty simple.

what Hurco control?

Ultimax I, II, or III or the MAX 32?

or the new

WinMax?

We have a 1 1\2 yr old VM10 and use SW and HSMWorks had to tweek the post but all is working great now.

as for the transition from Conversational to CAM did that in 92\3 from Ultimax II to surfcam aka surfcam traditional now and was a breeze haven't looked back, but still love having the conversational side on the machine for quick things when i do not need the CAD side, unlike the HAAS control CAD side is faster for that.

I'm a SolidWorks guy, Fusion or as I call it Confusion 360 is a great way to start because of the cost isn't braking the bank, it just is different to what I have used since 97, old dog, just don't want to learn new tricks.

SW is taught in just about every level of education and the most used CAD in industry so there is many people to help you out plus it is not cloud based like Fusion.

Back