What's new
What's new

Could someone convert a bobcad (.bbcd) file for me?

dandrummerman21

Stainless
We had a customer come in, trying to start up a car audio business, wants alternator housings/mounting brackets made out of aluminum.

He had another shop making them, but apparently they upped the price, he came to us with some samples, no real prints/dimensions. He also got a .bbcd file from the current manufacturer (no idea how he managed that).

Anyway, I use gibbscam here at work, I can't import it. And I sure as hell don't want to try to measure everything on the sample parts for fear of getting some critical dimensions (hole locations, etc) wrong.

I opened it up in a demo version of bobcad 28, it looks like a solid?

I was hoping someone could take a look at it for me and export it to a .step file if possible. Send a PM if you want to help.

Thanks in advance.

OT but I'm just curious why you would want a step file? Parasolids are a much friendlier format especially for Gibbs, unless you like having every hole and circle broken into two useless half spline monstrosities, I've also had problems with contouring and pocketing traced back to extracting geometry directly from a step compared to other file formats.

I'll send an email shortly, thanks.

OT but I'm just curious why you would want a step file? Parasolids are a much friendlier format especially for Gibbs, unless you like having every hole and circle broken into two useless half spline monstrosities, I've also had problems with contouring and pocketing traced back to extracting geometry directly from a step compared to other file formats.

I guess I don't care either way, parasolids are a format i've never had. I'll gladly take that over step if it means I don't have those half splines you're talking about (and I know exactly what you're taking about!)

speaking of that, I get around it by toggling the depth on the profiler thing. If you toggle it to a depth below the surface of the hole, then click extract, you get a full circle.

That is one way around it, I love being able to just select a whole face and extract everything I need at once though!

Back