What's new
What's new

Creating tool paths with 3D lathe part drawn in SolidWorks

Akk

Plastic
Hey guys!

I've done this before but I have totally forgotten how to do it. Basically I have a part I drew in solidworks that I've made from 2D to 3D, and imported it into mastercam. Now the issue is I can't select tool path lines because the drawing is in 3D.

Now I've done this before, but I've forgotten how but I was able to generate 2D tool path line's in mastercam. Any clue what I was doing back then? Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

It is a lathe part.

EDIT 2:

Found solution thanks!

The 2 ways I would handle it would be solid chaining or do a turn profile and create the top profile and save the wireframe to a separate level and chain the wireframe. I like the turn profile the best because I can change the wire frame if need be a lot easier to get the path I would need. Turn profile-slice-upper profile works best, you get very clean wireframe to work with. That's the thing I really love about Mastercam, so many ways to get the job done. Just choose the one that works best for you and get really good at it and you'll look like a superstar!! :)

In SW only revolve it 180 degrees or if you used extrusion and other features cut it in half then when you bring into a CAM software you get the profiles, do this for surfcam traditional.

In SW only revolve it 180 degrees or if you used extrusion and other features cut it in half then when you bring into a CAM software you get the profiles, do this for surfcam traditional.

Or create spline, part line.

Never used MC, but I'd think it would have a similar function? Even Smurfcam can do it.

Or create spline, part line.

Never used MC, but I'd think it would have a similar function? Even Smurfcam can do it.

so much easier with SW, hell you can even make up a bunch of configs of the part and surfcam will bring those in on different layers.

Back