What's new

Delcam for SolidWorks End-of-life announcement

len_1962

Stainless
just got an email today from Delcam

Delcam for SolidWorks
End-of-life announcement
Dear Delcam Customer,
A decision has been made to end-of-life Delcam for SolidWorks. We will issue the final enhancement release of Delcam for SolidWorks 2016 R3 on 16th May 2016, followed by service packs in June and July 2016.
If you have a Delcam for SolidWorks maintenance contract on 16th May 2016, we would like to upgrade and give you the equivalent FeatureCAM products on the same dongle. You will be entitled to download the latest updates of FeatureCAM and receive support for the duration of your maintenance contract.
Please expect your new license from your local Delcam Sales Partner during the week starting the 16th May 2016. You can continue to use your perpetual license of Delcam for SolidWorks.
If you wish to learn more about this decision please contact your local Delcam Sales Partner.
Yours faithfully,
Sanjay Thakore
Product Marketing Manager

running an eval copy of this.... that explains why the phone stopped ringing! I was spooked by the Autodesk ownership, then by the subscription-based service model soon coming, and now this. Phew, best mistake I didn't make!

running an eval copy of this.... that explains why the phone stopped ringing! I was spooked by the Autodesk ownership, then by the subscription-based service model soon coming, and now this. Phew, best mistake I didn't make!

EXACTLY what I was thinking as I read that. The Autodesk buyout gave me pause, the subscription thing took them completely off the table. It's rare for me to despise a corporation but Autodesk is doing a good job of it.

Guys, just a question

I am a mostly happy FeatureCAM user, but did not look at any of the other Delcam softwares to know.
Is Delcam for SW a completely different software than FC or Powermill is, or is it just the version of FC that runs inside SW?

Seymour,

Delcam for Solidworks (DFS) started life as Featurecam for Solidworks. When Delcam bought Featurecam the project morphed a bit becoming Featurecam + some technology from Powermill (tool path algorithms I believe). We beta'ed DFS and made the transition to it from Featurecam, using it for a number of years. However, we we're less than pleased with Solidworks and its high maintenance cost. Once we dropped Solidworks, DFS was soon to follow in that we could no longer do updates and have it work with our last version of SW (2012)

Personally, we (the two users with seats here) thought it was an excellent program, but there were a lot of indications that it did not have much market penetration. Len's associate is the only other person we've seen mentioned in forums. And the official Delcam forum for DFS had very rare postings.

Fred

Guys, just a question

I am a mostly happy FeatureCAM user, but did not look at any of the other Delcam softwares to know.
Is Delcam for SW a completely different software than FC or Powermill is, or is it just the version of FC that runs inside SW?

DFS is based on FeatureCam, Powermill is it's own bird.

AFAIK DFS and FC are different branches of the same codebase, essentially the same product with a different interface. Milling toolpaths use the PowerMill kernel.

There is a fair bit of overlap between delcam products - Powermill, featurecam, partmaker - wouldn't be surprised if autodesk intend to "streamline" the products a bit...

Guys, thanks.

That explains why the release notes for the individual FC updates include both, FC and DFS improvements/bug fixes.

Back