What's new
What's new

Do I need to get new CAM software or should I hire a pro?

SDTA

Plastic
I have been struggling with Bobcam for years now. I spent 7 hours today floundering with a simple vector to solid issue for engraving. I keep telling myself I need to hire a employee who mastered Bobcam but I cant help but think maybe if I had cam software that didn't crash and wasn't so finicky I wouldn't need to hire anyone. I spent $7000.00 for onsite training and all of my employees were no wiser after they left. In fact the trainer was constantly on the phone calling the home base wondering this or that didn't work. I spent $400 for phone help and use it daily. They seem to have issues at the help desk. Do I just suck at this or is there software out there that doesn't crash, have quirks and make you want to break things?

SD

I am using V29

I once worked in a shop with BobCAD. I finally convinced the owner he needed a real programming software, he bought it and we never looked back. I'd recommend you do the same.
Also, check your messages... I may be able to help you some.

I have been struggling with Bobcam for years now. I spent 7 hours today floundering with a simple vector to solid issue for engraving. I keep telling myself I need to hire a employee who mastered Bobcam but I cant help but think maybe if I had cam software that didn't crash and wasn't so finicky I wouldn't need to hire anyone. I spent $7000.00 for onsite training and all of my employees were no wiser after they left. In fact the trainer was constantly on the phone calling the home base wondering this or that didn't work. I spent $400 for phone help and use it daily. They seem to have issues at the help desk. Do I just suck at this or is there software out there that doesn't crash, have quirks and make you want to break things?

SD

All you're trying to is engrave?

If you do engraving look into millwrite ,,, its simple and easy to use but works VARY good... as for cad/cam I used bobcad for years and then went to easycam for a year and switched over to Onecnc and could not be more happy ,,, lot of guys like fusion 360 but I wanted something I own and not a program that is changing all the time ,,

Not sure how you could spend $7000 on training and still not know how to program with Bobcad. If you can't figure out Bobcad then I wouldn't waste your money on another system because your not going to figure that out either. Go back and go thru the training videos, or see if you can get the trainer back again, if you think you didn't get your monies worth then maybe you can get some additional help for free. (unlikely)

A friend of mine is a very competent programmer using Bobcad, he did all his learning using the training videos.

Not sure how you could spend $7000 on training and still not know how to program with Bobcad. If you can't figure out Bobcad then I wouldn't waste your money on another system because your not going to figure that out either. Go back and go thru the training videos, or see if you can get the trainer back again, if you think you didn't get your monies worth then maybe you can get some additional help for free. (unlikely)

A friend of mine is a very competent programmer using Bobcad, he did all his learning using the training videos.

I pmed him told him to email me the project for me to look at but nothing yet

I pmed him told him to email me the project for me to look at but nothing yet

i will offer the same to the OP,,,been using BoB for 8 years,,,,,

have no idea how one would spend $7000 in training ??

Sounds like you should be on the forums a long time ago , for free

"floundering with a simple vector to solid issue"

vector to solid for engraving ????????????,,,,,I be struggling too,,,ain;'t going to happen

I found some CAM packages are quite intuitive provided your on the right mindset.

If struggling with one package...1st it would not have been the package for me, move on till you find the one you kind of know what to do before being told what to do...make sense?

Anyway, your now into it pretty deep so I'd look for a tutor to guide you...find one who speaks your language and is on the same page as you. The smartest guru is not always the best choice if they cannot get you to grasp the hows and whys and sees where you have issue and were you fly.

Still a no go after that...hate to say it, but maybe shop for a different package. If simple engraving there is a good amount of inexpensive stuff...I went GiBBsCAM as it just what I need and made sense when I was showed the software.

Contact Patrick at OneCNC West, extremely easy software, very intuitive,no BS extra fees for updates or if you call and have a question,no haggling, sales tactics,etc.

Back