Do many companies rely solely on 3D models direct to CAM and NOT use drawings?? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    So statistically, you represent roughly .0096% of machinists in the US.
    Unless there is a correlation between working as a machinist and not being colorblind (unlikely I think). Then the incidence of colorblindness would be the same and 8% of male machinists would be colorblind. Due to a larger number of men working as machinists this would be higher than the national average of colorblindness in the working populace of other professions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    If there are roughly 400,000 machinists in the US, and 8% of them are colorblind, what % of bad at math are you?
    103.26%.

But I see you missed the point anyway.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds great, except i'm color blind..
    Enchroma | Color For The Color Blind

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    What idiots, someone should've told them their addressable market was only 12 guys.

5. Likes gkoenig liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    What package are they using and how do you view their solid models?
    There are packages out there which support dimensions with tolerances in their own file format but do not export them with the solid model if someone requests it in a non-native format.
    At Boeing, which has been using 3d only model based definition for over 15 years, they have viewer versions of CATIA out in the shop and a crazy pain in the rear product data management program for version control ENOVIA. All the GDandT gets attached in 3d to the models.

The concept is good, the execution at least when I quit working for them was seriously lacking. But then we are taking about profoundly complicated machines so there is no simple solution.
    L

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What idiots, someone should've told them their addressable market was only 12 guys.
    One really should understand that we all see things different. (not just eyesight vision)
    Having a colorblind person help you see what he/she does is immensity helpful.
    What is obvious to me is maybe not to others. Buy this clue, others are not you, do not see or think as you do.
    Yet those others get the work done.
    Although it makes your life easier only a fool attempts to hire only clones of him/herself.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually doing away with drawings would only help in some situations. I could not be asked to count the number of times I've been supplied with a drawing, as well as a model to pull missing dimensions from (and those reference customer specs for tolerance based on feature sizes and 'standard manufacturing process' to make that feature) and something on the print doesn't match the drawing. Sometimes it's a simple rounding anomaly, sometimes hole sizes are different, sometimes entire features are missing. Then how do you make the part, to the print or to the model? Just supplying a model would solve that issue.

But then comes the also in-countable number of models created that cannot be manufactured. When most of the people out there still just make a model to make a print, many things in the model are jury rigged so a dimension can be pulled on the print. This is particularly true in sheet metal manufacturing.

But in the end it all comes down to... Training. I'm sure similar debates were waged when GD&T was a new concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Problem is with model on 3-D stuff few will supply a nominal/min/max model as this is harder to spec to give something to check against.
    We really should provide this as fit/function is the customer's end goal and the real measure of quality.
    On GD&T ... most have no idea how hard this was to get accepted during the early years as it is everywhere now.
    Change from the old school is never easy.
    The new generation buys in (perhaps too fast), the older are comfortable with what they know.
    Direct to CAM from models, still good and bad but perhaps we are moving.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a model maker all we worked on was Solid Models unless we created the solid from 2d dxf\dwg files starting around 95, before that created 3d in surfcam from same 2d data.

we would tell the client, +- .005 everywhere if no drawings and then if we had to paint the models couldn't guarantee +- .015.

depends on the industry you are in, have never ever used GT&D