What's new
What's new

BOBCAD and my experience so far

psient

Cast Iron
Hi:

So . . . . I have a bridgeport but I'm looking for a vmc to install at home. I'm a retired professor. My dad was a Machinist during WWII on a sub tender and after that was a electrical engineer working during the cold war (up until about 1994).

I just started getting software so that I can learn what I need to know in order to ask questions intelligently here. About three weeks ago there was a thread concerning which CADCAM to get (I don't remember exactly which thread) with a lot of comments about license transfer and the different companies. It was interesting that many of those participating made it clear the BOBCAD seemed much more reasonable about this as their business model incorporated folks constantly feeding into the revenue stream via version releases modules etc. I thought this was no big deal as Autocad, SW, and Mastercam are going to treat me incidentally.

I also watched Al get a lot of harping while acting like an adult and not saying anything at all unless it helped the OP. It was Al that convinced me his company was legit beyond a simple (not simplistic BTW) scheme to squeeze people like me.

I thought I would post what has been happening to me concerning BobCad

As I am typing this . . .

I am in the middle of transferring the license. I found out that I cannot have the software installed on my laptop and my computer in my office. I remember before we had chips in the computer that could ID us, many software companies would let you have a copy on 2 machines as long as they weren't running at the same time. I had trouble explaining this to the corporate type taking care of the transfer itself. They didn't get what I was asking and eventually I gave up trying to explain that. although on the same property, my shop was a long way from my office here at home and running back and forth between them to get something done would be difficult.

Anyway, soon after I was put in a position of making a decision on the spot about tech support. I don't do CNC work but I went ahead and got tech support. I don't know about the quality of this service.

As I mentioned previously, I am looking at small VMCs having just finished an outdoor area that is protected from the elements here in SoCal. I can move it onto the slab and begin as soon as I find one that's suitable. I am not going to get a knee mill as I want an ATC. I have some idea of what I would like to have. It's probably consistent with most of the posts I've read although I am not in the market for a Haas. I used a couple at the college I instructed at and after many conversations with the professor who taught machining there, I decided it wasn't really the best make for me. I was hoping to find a small Hurco or Kitamura my center. I've been learning G code from a book and will probably get some kind of tutorial with a simulation module so I can get the various minutia entered into MY memory!

I posted this in an effort to report the experiences I am having with the Corporate culture at BobCad. This isn't much at this stage but I have a ways to go before I am finished with this process.

In sum:

So far dealing with BobCad has been a positive. I have no real complaints at all.

I got the info I needed about the license transfer pretty easily. I spent 100 bucks more than the transfer fee but I received tech support. I did this because BobCad makes sure that any discount offered at the time of licensing is immediately removed if not taken advantage-of concurrently. Relatedly, Al seems pretty free with his help, so maybe in a way spending now is in regard for his efforts here. To be sure I'll get supported but the only computing I do concerning my shop is entering stuff on my Bridgeport's DRO. So there's little need right this moment for customized post processors . . etc. I guess the offer is a sales ploy to some extent. This resonates with some of the non-constructive criticism in threads discussing this company. Whether it is totally a ploy depends upon the kind of service I receive for my money. I am almost ready to start learning the software. I should receive the last of my 64 bit-build components today.

psient

Last edited:
BobCads tech support is really great, I have NEVER had a bad experience. For me the tech support is the difference, although there are a few guys on the forum that are really helpful. Unfortunately you purchased a license for one seat. You can not have that license on two different computers, that is why you will see guys requesting that they bring back the dongles.

I may be able to clear up some of this.

1) We do allow user to "sell" there license if they choose to. As an example a user that started with V24 could upgrade to V25 and then sell his V24 license. We require the original owner to sell all of the original software they purchase , so you couldn't just sell off extra seats.

2) We do require a license transfer fee of $100 which is an administrative fee to move the license into the new owners account and establish them as a customer.

3) As far as I know you can not transfer technical support package or other services the original owner may have purchased. Software products only.

4) For a client the purchase a license and has paid the transfer fee, there account is now a customer account and qualifies that users for customer prices.

You will be offered a technical support package at the point of transfer. Support programs can be purchased at any time.

We at BobCAD would prefer that all customers are on a support program to best help them. For those that choose not to be on a support program can utilize forums, youtube videos and other free resources to learn and use BobCAD.

I think it's really cool that you can sell older versions that you have purchased from BobCAD. I know many software vendors in the CAD CAM market DO NOT let you sell off licenses like this.

1) We do allow user to "sell" there license if they choose to. As an example a user that started with V24 could upgrade to V25 and then sell his V24 license. We require the original owner to sell all of the original software they purchase , so you couldn't just sell off extra seats.

2) We do require a license transfer fee of $100 which is an administrative fee to move the license into the new owners account and establish them as a customer.

3) As far as I know you can not transfer technical support package or other services the original owner may have purchased. Software products only.

4) For a client the purchase a license and has paid the transfer fee, there account is now a customer account and qualifies that users for customer prices.

You will be offered a technical support package at the point of transfer. Support programs can be purchased at any time.

We at BobCAD would prefer that all customers are on a support program to best help them. For those that choose not to be on a support program can utilize forums, youtube videos and other free resources to learn and use BobCAD.

I think it's really cool that you can sell older versions that you have purchased from BobCAD. I know many software vendors in the CAD CAM market DO NOT let you sell off licenses like this.

Thanks for the reply Al.

Yes I definitely accede the above points. The only constructive criticism I have is that nobody asked me what I was doing this for. It would display unusual finesse if everyone in the culture was interested in the diversity of the people that choose to spend money with the company. I have been on this site for a little while now and there is a sub-current of folks here who, like me, are not a machinist by vocation but rather by avocation. Spending a ton of money on software for CNC machining without a machine is one approach that can be understood given this framework. It doesn't seem to be an issue why you bought the software, only that you did. This seems a bit myopic to me. My exposure to CNC machining originated with Dualkit's helping me buy my Bridgeport. Thus, Practical machinist is a great resource. I appreciate all the experts who freely give their time and effort to help everyone.

Once again finding something out about your client seems like a good idea. Unlike some technical software . . . i.e., you do not see folks buying SAS or SPSS, or Structural equation software just for the experience of implementing goodness of fit tests.

psient

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Al.

Yes I definitely accede the above points. The only constructive criticism I have is that nobody asked me what I was doing this for. It would display unusual finesse if everyone in the culture was interested in the diversity of the people that choose to spend money with the company. I have been on this site for a little while now and there is a sub-current of folks here who, like me, are not a machinist by vocation but rather by avocation. Spending a ton of money on software for CNC machining without a machine is one approach that can be understood given this framework. It doesn't seem to be an issue why you bought the software, only that you did. This seems a bit myopic to me. My exposure to CNC machining originated with Dualkit's helping me buy my Bridgeport. Thus, Practical machinist is a great resource. I appreciate all the experts who freely give their time and effort to help everyone.

Once again finding something out about your client seems like a good idea. Unlike some technical software . . . i.e., you do not see folks buying SAS or SPSS, or Structural equation software just for the experience of implementing goodness of fit tests.

psient

Get busy and make some chips soon.This and the other forum can help you along with your support.Videos on you tube worth a look.

Get busy and make some chips soon.This and the other forum can help you along with your support.Videos on you tube worth a look.

Al spoke with me yesterday and for now I'm staying with V24. I still want the solidworks module. I need to pass that along to him. I wonder how much it'll cost me on top of the transfer.

I've hit a snag with my 64bit CADCAM station. If you want I'll post what the components are.

Here's a brief summary of my problem that I have emailed to Newegg and ASUS:

[email protected]

Hi:

I just purchased and received my ASUS Z87 Deluxe MB today. I find that the board has a known USB 3.0 stepping issue but have no way of knowing if the one I received has the C2 revision.

I have now posted a review on Newegg to this end. I called Newegg in the hopes they could give me the Model number and EAN number of the boards they had in stock. However, there was nothing customer service could do.

I have posted this information on Newegg's site in my review.

ASUS Z87-DELUXE LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with the
C2 revision : model number 90MB0DU0-M0EAY5
with EAN code 4716659553311.
The board I received today has the following on the box:

Model Number: 90MB0DU0-M0AAY0
EAN Number: 4716659488668.

I hope there is someone on your end that can tell me if I have received a board with the C2 revision.

Otherwise I'll have to RMA without installing. I think it is unfair to require I install the board with a known problem only to have my work negated by tearing the installation down to RMA it.

I also have to bear the cost in time and effort.

Please read the review as I gave this board 1 egg due to the very poor communication between ASUS, its vendors, and its customer base. I have been using asus products since the 486 was released by intel.

I also have posted this information on the VIP motherboard forum for the Z87 Deluxe.

Thanks,

Jon Mettrick/psient

So I'll try to resolve this matter and be working with BobCad when it is.

I have seen that the Sharp 2414s has comments in our community that suggest its adequate for my niche. Is rigid enough for steel and alike while precise and fast. It is also reasonably priced. If I can get it for 300 a month I'll buy it. It's not a new cummins diesel and I won't be able to take it hunting but I can still afford to have it in the garage.

Hi Al,
Here is my (our) situation, we (my boss) originally bought 3 seats of ver 22. and gave me one. He upgraded to ver23. and again to ver24. which we never used beyond the trial period ( as I did not like the interface) . We can sell off the ver 24 and still use and be authorized to upgrade the ver 23?

That's a good question.... I know you can sell off older versions when you upgrade... I 've never heard of going the other way.... My guess is you can, you can sell off any version and its seats. I know you can't buy 2 seats and sell one, but selling off complete versions newer or older shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the reply Al, and BOSTON's question is on my mind as well, Did ver 23 have any high speed options which might be buyable? I really like ver 23. except the tool paths rather mimic an manual machinist, whereas I am seeing on Demo vids some seriously fast machining going on which I cannot even approach. My boss who owns the shop but not all the equipment is an engineer and really does not know machining, but has "THE CHECKBOOK". He bought the software package @ WESTEC several years ago.

That's a good question.... I know you can sell off older versions when you upgrade... I 've never heard of going the other way.... My guess is you can, you can sell off any version and its seats. I know you can't buy 2 seats and sell one, but selling off complete versions newer or older shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like I did the right thing by ignoring the disparaging comments. However, I haven't been able to start my new build. It looks like I should go ahead and install my copy on one of my older computers and then deactivate it and install on the new one.

psient

Thanks for the reply Al, and BOSTON's question is on my mind as well, Did ver 23 have any high speed options which might be buyable? I really like ver 23. except the tool paths rather mimic an manual machinist, whereas I am seeing on Demo vids some seriously fast machining going on which I cannot even approach. My boss who owns the shop but not all the equipment is an engineer and really does not know machining, but has "THE CHECKBOOK". He bought the software package @ WESTEC several years ago.

Where's the BobCad booth at Westec this year?

BUMP Did ver 23 have any high speed options which might be buyable?

booth# 2632 right across from southwestern industries....

v23 we offered volume mill for 2d high speed. no we do not sell this now.

v25/v26 offers high speed for both 2d and 3d. similar to profit milling, dynamic milling, or I machining.

in LA now, spent 4 hours setting up the booth and excited for tomorrow.

booth# 2632 right across from southwestern industries....

v23 we offered volume mill for 2d high speed. no we do not sell this now.

v25/v26 offers high speed for both 2d and 3d. similar to profit milling, dynamic milling, or I machining.

in LA now, spent 4 hours setting up the booth and excited for tomorrow.

Al is there, doing his thing. Every time I walked by he was deep in conversation with somebody, so I didn't have a chance to introduce myself.

Back