What's new
What's new

Do you like or use Bobcad/cam and WHY?

RITCHY

Aluminum
We are thinking about buying the software package, I know nothing about it. We would use it on the WEDM and Mattsura and possibly our Sodick sinker.
Thanks for any input
Mark :popcorn:

I signed up for a bobcad demo. I don't even have a machine that runs gcode. I was just curious. I tell them this every time they call me asking if I want to buy it. I am about ready to tell them that if they make one more unsolicited call to me, that I will absolutely remove bobcad from consideration if I ever am looking to buy a cad package. Sorry if that's not helpful or relevant.

James Lederer,

I work for BobCAD and if you need you account to be removed for the call list, just PM or email me your contact information al at bobcad.com

James,

I was able to find you account based on your name, it doesn't look like we have made a call to you since 4/9/13. But your account does go back a few years. It looks like you were/are are building a cnc machine to make rifle barrels.

1. “We use BobCAD to design and machine guitar parts. It is especially useful for the more complex parts such as necks and bridges. We are a small shop, 2 people, and BobCAD gives us a 3rd hardworking employee – our trusty cnc machine. The training we received at the seminar in Dallas really gave us a jump start in the use of BobCAD.” -Chris Jenkins, Lame Horse Instruments, Mansfield, TX

2.“We make the best gas engines for giant same model aircraft with BobCAD, and we wouldn’t change it for anything! BobCAD allows us to create beautiful parts fast and efficiently, and their customer support is second to none. BobCAD for us has been the difference between having to contract CAM services and being able to create our parts by ourselves.” -Mateo Saraga, SE Model Products, Miami, FL

3. “I use BobCAD at my shop to make knee and hip implant tooling that doctors and surgeons use every day. From multiple part assemblies to single 3D parts, BobCAD gives me the affordable flexibility to get parts from design to cutting in no time. Whether I get a file from a customer or I draw it myself, the CAM interface makes it easy to get my tools applied, program into the machine control, and get going!” -Jim Blinkenberg, Cameron Park, CA

4. “We use BobCAD V25 on our Amada Laser. We design and nest using BobCAD to get the most out of our machine. We have also started using BobCAD on our Flow Waterjet and are having great results. BobCAD has been a great tool and the new features on V25 are working flawlessly. The best thing about BobCAD is the ability to import files from our other software and use the utilities drop down menu to connect the lines and arcs to make a complete part with ease.” -Doug Parks, N-FAB, Houston, TX

5. “I use BobCAD in my shop to create signs, letter cutouts, engravings, shelf parts, picture frame parts, decorations, really anything I or my customers can imagine. We have used V24 for a year now and we have barely tapped its capabilities. This software has made life so much easier. I have had a great time learning to use v24. I bought a 24” by 60” cnc router and the V24 software with no prior cnc or CAD/CAM experience and thanks to BobCAD, we were able to produce useable parts the first day we turned the machine on. I have never had any problems with the software other than what comes from my lack of experience. It does a lot of the work by itself. I was concerned at first with the price, but it really has paid for itself in time saved within the first year. And we are just a small business. BobCAD has definitely increased our sales and profitability. I plan to begin working with V24 to make an electric guitar. This used to seem impossible, but now it’s definitely do-able. Thanks to BobCAD V24. Soon I would like to upgrade to V25.” -Phillip Lucas, Philz Woodwerks, Phil Campbell, AL

6. “We are building a 74ft steel sailboat in our front yard and in our little home shop; we have a 5 x 9 CNC plasma/router table. We’ve used BobCAD for making multiple parts and tools, but the best project so far has been making a propeller blade pattern we used to cast our one propellers. We also cut multiple models of the hull, but now that the hull is taking shape, we are really enjoying making functional parts that are also decorative. We recently designed and cut 54 – 1/4″ steel, mermaid deck braces.” -Doug Jackson, Tulsa, OK

7. “I use BobCAD-CAM to design small engine parts for the kart racing industry. Using BobCAD makes it very easy for me to generate the machine code right from the drawing without having to use a separate software program. I find the CAD very easy to use now that I have become more familiar with it. I have also used the BobART module it to generate drawings and code from scanned items saving a lot of time by not having to actually make the drawing.” -Tim Taylor, Track Trends, New Hudson, MI

8. “BobCAD is the most useful tool in my work shop. I’m developing a stringed musical instrument business that used to wreck my hands and limit my ability to play. With BobCAM and its ease to use, I can cut parts in 15% of the time it used to take me to hand make them. I’ve used Pro E but BobCAM is far easier to use. After only 3 weeks with the great tutorials I was able to cut my first Mandolin neck. I’m now onto my own design of upright electric basses, designing the backs, tops, necks and all the other blocks to build this bass. BobCAM will definitely send me into full time building in the next few months.” -Douglas Kemp, Douglas Strings, North Ridgenille, OH

9. “Although my main use for BobCAD is hobby related, I also use it in my business. I design engrave and V-Carve plastic signs for Photo voltaic installations to indicate the presence of solar power, identify shutoff switches and maps of the installation to assist emergency responders such as firefighters to ensure all power is turned off. I have designed and machined parts for a middle school under water l robotics team, which helped them win their regional competition and place 11th in the world competition. My hobby related uses have been to design and fabricate aluminum router mounts for my home built CNC machine, machine parts for the addition of a fourth axis, fabricate wood parts for gifts such as a rotating ear ring, necklace stand and jewelry boxes, and to make several commemorative plaques out of Koa for my wife to give out at her family reunion.” -Chip Conklin, Chips Marine LLC, Kailua Kona, HI

10. “I design molds from start to finish for the integrated circuit industry. Our parts are very small so it’s an art in itself. I also make a vast type of I.C. test sockets. I like the mat. setups for the fact that I cut a vast type of materials, plastics, tool steels, etc. I’m getting really good with the BobArt PRO. It’s so cool and it shocks my friends as to how I can be so good at art. I don’t tell them how easy you all have made it. If I can, in the years to come, do nothing but art work and program from my home that is my goal with BobCAD-CAM software… So far so good. I have 4 seats of the software for myself. I am also teaching my son to program. That is a gift I can give him for his future. I can’t even tell you how much BobCAD has helped me in the shop. Thank you all, I love it.” -Steve Eckhoff, Precision Contacts, Fair Oaks, CA

11. “I use BobCAD to create one-off car and motorcycle parts on my Hurco BMC 4020. The ideas for the parts either come from existing pieces or from friends with ideas. From simple parts to complex 3d shapes, BobCAD allows me to create this in less time and effort. What an awesome product for the money. Go BobCAD team!” -Henry Kenuam, St Louis, MO

12. “We use it [BobCAD-CAM software] to design/build parts for antique cars and tractors. We also use it to develop art works and designs for an NC plasma cutter. Main use is components for marine and automotive use manufactured on our Haas Mill. We also use it to design/manufacture model R/C car and airplane components. We have used it to design and produce a Company logo on a 3 ft x 3 ft office type sign.” -Tom Weber, Toms Marine, Ft McMurray, Alberta

So they teach diarrhea of the forum as well as the phone at bobcad salesman school?

May your spaming ass die a thousand deaths

On second thought that may not be enough just make it one for each sales pitch endured.

Yeah I agree, I went a little over board.... I prefer to answer questions and show how the software works. Maybe I should have stayed back and let the users speak, which I know there are a few users on PM that use BobCAD. Either way I am very active on this forum and if you post CAD CAM questions I am always here to help...

People will always find a reason to hate (or love) software. I think a lot of people associate "affordable" with hobby grade or just inferior. I use bobcad with Alibre at home and Soldiworks with camworks at work. For a lot of what I do at work Camworks is overkill and can often complicate things or require too much time to tweak the parameters. I'll program the same job on Bobcad in less time (but that's mainly 2D). Camworks does real well with 3D.

Really you should demo the software (along as many others as you can handle) and verify what kind of support you will get and can afford. Organize some parts you want to make for your job and see which software you find more comfortable to work with. It can be annoying to learn several programs only to pick one in the end. But no one said picking a CAM was easy. Good luck and ask a million questions, and be specific.

James,

I was able to find you account based on your name, it doesn't look like we have made a call to you since 4/9/13. But your account does go back a few years. It looks like you were/are are building a cnc machine to make rifle barrels.

This is a public forum. I am glad you have notes on me. I have discussed it with BobCad reps when they called. I assumed those discussions would remain private in the interest of client confidentiality. I assumed wrong I guess. Yes, I have built a machine to make rifle barrels. No, it does not require cad software, nor does it run gcode. Please put that in your notes, and then delete my file.

Noted, I have updated your account and removed your phone number from our system. You shouldn't get any more calls from BobCAD. If you do please let me know right away so I can remedy the situation.

This is a public forum. I am glad you have notes on me. I have discussed it with BobCad reps when they called. I assumed those discussions would remain private in the interest of client confidentiality. I assumed wrong I guess. Yes, I have built a machine to make rifle barrels. No, it does not require cad software, nor does it run gcode. Please put that in your notes, and then delete my file.

You should delete your profile and prior posts if you want your gun barrel making kept secret.

Back