Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Do you like or use Bobcad/cam and WHY?

Dan B is offline Hot Rolled

I had BobCad sales people calling me on a regular basis. I never talked to them, as the receptionist would tell them I'm not interested. Nothing against the software, but we have many seats of WorkNC and are not interested in downgrading (no offense intended). I asked Al to make the calls stop just to give her one less thing to deal with. Al took care of it for me. From an outsider's perspective, it does look like Al is doing his best to turn the company around and shed a lot of the negativity surrounding it. I've watched a few of the videos just out of curiosity and the latest product doesn't look that bad at all. It's not something we are in the market for, but if we were just starting out, I would give it a good look.

Dan

eTekTool is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by RITCHY View Post
    What version was that? And how much editing are you talking about?
    I would be using V25 for Agie WEDM mostly. The cost of the software, lifetime upgrades and post guaranty sounds pretty good.
    It have V23 for the wire and V24 for mill-lathe. We went back and forth for months about getting the post to work correctly. At that time they told me that they were not doing any more wire edm development and what I had was it. ( could have been a line of BS to make me go away) Before I bought it the salesman assured me that they had or would get a post to work with our Mits but never came though. It does make a program that will work if you edit it, should not have to though.

The software it self would,( I quess you call it) "Crash" and it would loose post processors or not load the software. It would work one day, then the next day error messages and files missing. Lucky, I found forums with guys having the same problems and was able to get it working again. (cant remember the exact fix, moving files or something)

I am not happy with it but like I said it was cheap. I think the lifetime upgrades are only if you pay for yearly tech support.

glbreil is offline Cast Iron

I use version 23 for an Agiecut 100 machine. I have never got a correct post out of it for my WEDM or my mill but I learned early on how to edit it and that is just what I do.

The code for the geometry is always perfect it is just the machine parameters that it has issues with.

I don't complain because with it and a little ingenuity of my own I can do anything I need to.

I can't afford peps or any of the big names in a small time shop so overall I am happy.

Thanks Gary

Joe Miranda is offline Stainless

I haven't used BobCAD in several years but I was never unhappy with it. For an affordable CadCam it was fine for the 2 1/2 axis work I did and even handled some surfacing that I did. However, their sales tactics are annoying.

ernieflash is offline Plastic

I have had Bobcad since version 17 and now I have V25 there has been a couple of time I had to call support to get a program to run but always got them to run . Use it on torchmate plasma and oxy-fuel, Agie 100 wire EDM , and on on vertical with centriod control. For what I do works GREAT. Al D has always helped anytime I need it .I have done some pretty sophisticated One-Off parts and they came out great . I say try it.

aldepoalo is offline Hot Rolled

The V23 / V24 wire package are the last version where we offered wire in our "new format " Currently we are offer the V19 wire software. So if a client was interested in the BobWire software we would be offering them the BobWire 19, which is our classic version of BobCAD.

We are currently restructuring how we offer wire software to our clients. Wire is not available as an option for the V25 software at this time.

As far as some of the posting issues with the cutting conditions for V23 and V24, this software uses an access database for this information. It's a little convoluted, but once setup properly it works rather well. It just takes a little time to setup the conditions correctly. Also the post processors is very powerful, and versatile but does take some know how to get things working correctly. The future of wire software in Bobwire is still being determined....

2013-09-10_0950.png

v25_no_wire.png

Mid Day Machinin is offline Aluminum

Al, are you going to be in the BobCad booth at WESTEC next month? I look forward to putting a face with a name.

Zahnrad Kopf is offline Titanium

Al -

Here's something for you - Make V19 use the database. Knowing my personal feelings and bias, I will even say this to you publicly -
    If you could do that and sell it at a reasonable price, I can imagine you cornering the market on entry level/mid level WEDM CAM.

Just about everything other WEDM CAM I am aware of utilizes a database for cutting conditions. Making V19 utilize one would be a very smart move.

I helped another company ( actually two ) with their V24 and the database and post processor were the best things about that version.
    Just the ability to use and edit the database so easily were a big enough plus that I did not try and convince them to buy something else.

Yes I will be at westec... Here is the list of all the trades shows I'll be at that are coming up.

http://bobcad.com/about/trade-shows/

Zahnrad Kopf, I agree and if you have other recommendations to improve the BobCAD CAM product line please use this link: http://bobcad.com/support/report/

DMSentra is offline Aluminum

The number of sales calls was the final deciding factor in why I'll never get it. You people just don't know when to quit!

jrmach is online now Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by DMSentra View Post
    The number of sales calls was the final deciding factor in why I'll never get it. You people just don't know when to quit!
    And who did you go with instead ?

I completely understand and apologize for how your account was treated. If you PM me you contact information I will remove your phone number from our CRM. Or you can call me directly at 866-408-3226 X147. We are making things better here at BobCAD CAM! I feel that this time we offer an excellent product that helps shops of all sizes. As we continue to develop and grow as company the goal is to provide the best customers service and products we can, at the best prices. I feel we currently accomplish this in many ways. Our sales processed needs to develop in such a way that account like yours doesn't get bombarded with phone calls. I get sales calls all the time, I am just lucky to have a receptionists that does a great job screening...

If you get unwanted calls please ask to speak with a manager and let manager know how you feel and why. By letting the managers know what is going on will help me stop the issue you are having with sales calls. I feel we have a much better handle on this issue then we've had in the past, but there is always room for improvement!

wrustle is online now Titanium

I don't understand all the complaints about the phone calls to be honest with you.

I expressed an interest in Bobcad and received the free demo. I was contacted by a sales agent who asked me some questions about what I would use the software for and what I was currently using.

I explained to him what he wanted to know and I asked him to please not call me, I would be in contact with him when or if I was ready.

He did call one day a little while later, and I reminded him of my request to not be called and if he wanted to contact me keep it strictly email........OR, I would be in this forum complaining to AL (that's right.....put the fear of AL into him) and for all the others to read.

Never heard from him again, except via email, which turned out to be a VERY good thing because I received a great offer for 2 seats of V25 mill package with training video's included.

I made the purchase several months ago.........sadly, I have yet to learn the program and use it for what it was intended, but that is no fault of Bobcads. I will, when the time comes sit down and get to work on learning the interface and begin programming new jobs using Bobcad. Most likely during the winter months when I'm cooped up inside anyways.

Since my purchase and subsequent request to NOT be contacted by phone, I receive perhaps a few emails a month which I am glad to read in case I again see something "I" feel is an offer I should not pass up, but have not received a single phone call.

Again.....just passing along my VERY pleasant experience with the Bobcad people, whom I have no complaint with at all.

Best Regards,
    Russ
    Danthemann likes this.

sansbury is offline Aluminum

I got on with Bob with V22 and it was a dog's breakfast. Hard to use, crashed constantly, I had to spend $150 on a set of cheesy "Video Professor" CDs to have any sort of documentation to actually use the product. Avoided using it as much as possible. Upgraded to V23 when offered an aggressive deal, crashing was reduced but overall the software still felt pretty flakey, but I got more parts made with it. Got an aggressive deal upgrading to V25, and now I finally feel like the software is doing what was promised, albeit with a number of remaining head-banging-into-wall quirks in the UI. I don't know what was in 24 and what was in 25 but from 23->25 it got a lot better. There are help files that actually document how a lot of the product really works and crashing on my laptop has been rare enough to be tolerable, though all I've done so far is 2.5D stuff. So far I've just used V25 mill but also have lathe. Looking back I am a little annoyed that I had to buy the product three times to get to this point but for someone buying in today it's pretty decent and the total of what I spent would only barely get me to the next level of products.

DMSentra is offline Aluminum

If this was to me, I say no. The calls have finally stopped and I'm not giving you information again to chance messing that up. I had let the caller know on more than one occasion I didn't want calls. That didn't work. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
    I completely understand and apologize for how your account was treated. If you PM me you contact information I will remove your phone number from our CRM. Or you can call me directly at 866-408-3226 X147. We are making things better here at BobCAD CAM! I feel that this time we offer an excellent product that helps shops of all sizes. As we continue to develop and grow as company the goal is to provide the best customers service and products we can, at the best prices. I feel we currently accomplish this in many ways. Our sales processed needs to develop in such a way that account like yours doesn't get bombarded with phone calls. I get sales calls all the time, I am just lucky to have a receptionists that does a great job screening...

If you get unwanted calls please ask to speak with a manager and let manager know how you feel and why. By letting the managers know what is going on will help me stop the issue you are having with sales calls. I feel we have a much better handle on this issue then we've had in the past, but there is always room for improvement!

67Cuda is offline Banned

I bought BobCam 6 months ago and I have not been hounded to upgrade. I'll see when the new version comes out, but so far, good to go.

I was contacted from BobCam about a local training seminar, that is fine, I don't mind that at all.

Tom

P.S. currently running a 3D program, sweet!

akaduck is offline Plastic

We do all of our drawing/modeling in SolidWorks and creating helper geometry in BobCAD, for me, is incredibly painful. Thee CAM side isn't too bad but, it's not my favorite.

I'll stick with HSMWorks, thanks.

Zahnrad Kopf is offline Titanium

Suuuuuuuurrrre... They FINALLY get it right with V25 and then decide to drop WEDM... Ain't THAT a poke in the eye.

So, what's better about V25? What got fixed? What's easier? Is it still 3 - 5 mouse clicks more than V19 to accomplish the same thing? How's the UI/GUI? To me, it's purely academic. I have CAM for my machines. I'm genuinely curious though, having been subjected to the earlier versions.

Bob E is offline Cast Iron

Quote Originally Posted by akaduck View Post
    We do all of our drawing/modeling in SolidWorks and creating helper geometry in BobCAD, for me, is incredibly painful. ....
    See, it's the opposite for me....create everything in SW and CAM it all in BC... all is good....I do ALOT of CAMming with BC and have no qualms whatsoever. All in how you can adapt.

jrmach is online now Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    Suuuuuuuurrrre... They FINALLY get it right with V25 and then decide to drop WEDM... Ain't THAT a poke in the eye.

So, what's better about V25? What got fixed? What's easier? Is it still 3 - 5 mouse clicks more than V19 to accomplish the same thing? How's the UI/GUI? To me, it's purely academic. I have CAM for my machines. I'm genuinely curious though, having been subjected to the earlier versions.

What's better since when ? V19 or V23 or V24 ?
    What is the version you want to compare it against ? And are you more interested in the CAD or CAM side ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast