What's new
What's new

Dongle

bob

Titanium
I bought a used machine and included was cd and dongle for a fairly recent version of cad/cam. Since I have the dongle can I use the software? Will the company support it?
Bob

It would depend on the software, but it's unlikely. The EULA of almost all software states that you don't own the software, you only are granted the right to use it. If you are not the original "purchaser" you probably aren't supposed to use it. Can you use it? Nothing stopping you, but will you have support? Most likely not.

Might be best to contact the company and ask them. If you're extremely lucky maybe that company does allow for transfer of "ownership".

Dan

The software I use ties the hasp key to a user id and company name. I don't imagine you could even download the software these days without a proper id (login) email, then that would be verified to original purchaser. Doesn't hurt to try though.

It would depend on the software, but it's unlikely. The EULA of almost all software states that you don't own the software, you only are granted the right to use it. If you are not the original "purchaser" you probably aren't supposed to use it. Can you use it? Nothing stopping you, but will you have support? Most likely not.

Might be best to contact the company and ask them. If you're extremely lucky maybe that company does allow for transfer of "ownership".

Dan
This ^^^^^^^ Some companies will allow transfer of software easily, some only when it's included in a larger package like a business or product line being sold, some not at all. If you go ahead and use it, there's just about no likelihood of you having a legal issue unless you are seen using it on TV like Jesse James did with Autocad. Someday you'll need an upgrade because of operating system compatibility and they'll get you for a new seat of software then.

I bought a used machine and included was cd and dongle for a fairly recent version of cad/cam. Since I have the dongle can I use the software? Will the company support it?
Bob

Personally, I would not hesitate for a heartbeat to load it up and run with it. You have the key. End User License Agreement terms vary from company to company, as well as Country to Country. Add to that, the various issues of reselling software and hardware, and different rules in different Countries there.

I would not expect the company to give any support without going through their transfer process at the very least, and they will probably want you to pay for a maintenance contract as well, if they offer such, to get the latest greatest gee-whiz version.
Some companies are pretty easy going, others not so much.

What did you end up with?

Cheers
Trev

Ive bought CAM software on ebay twice over the years with legit original license and USB dongle. I checked with the manufacturer on the most recent purchase, and I was quoted 5K to transfer the license from the original owner to myself and 2K for maintenance contract for 1 year. Didnt take them up on it, but its always worked fine as is. I sold the older package on ebay when I bought the last one. Ebay has very strict software sales rules. If there is a violation of any type, the manufacturer can tag the listing, ebay will take it down, and ding the sellers account with a demerit. No support, but its just software, memorize the manual!

We use a top notch CAM system, every year Solid works upgrades as with all the other CAD programs, first thing, your CAM system will not open their file. CAD and CAM systems are in bed with each other, provided you can control the CAD revisions your CAM system is fine but otherwise I would not waste a lot of time on it if you do not plan on paying for the transfer and a maintenance contract

Back