What's new
What's new

Dongles, USB and Parallel Stuff !

Tricky

Cast Iron
Hi Folks,

I would like my Parallel port dongle to be kept in the office where it can't get "missplaced" and also so I can borrow it to use on my office pc,
but my CAM PC is down 60' away at the other end of the building.

I could make up a screened cable that long but don't really want to have to run expensive multicore screened cable that distance (it would have to be good stuff to work that distance).

You used to be able to by a box that will let you run a parallel port printers remotely by using your mains cable (a bit like power plug ethernet ports) but with the advent of ethernet they got discontinued.

Has anyone had much luck with using Parallel Dongles hanging on the end of USB to 25w Parallel adapters ? or running them on the end of a network print server ?

I've tried a couple of different brands and can't get either of them to work, but I have heard that some types will work ok with Hasp type dongles.

Any thoughts ?

AFAIK, Aladdin Hasp LPT dongles don't work on USB/LPT converters. That would require modifications to the Aladdin driver. Aladdin would rather sell new dongles. The software authors would rather you turn in your LPT dongle for something more secure.

Running your dongle on a network requires a net-enabled Hasp.

I know people who have got it to work with usb-parallel convertors, i think it is all down to the drivers.
Some makes seem to work, others don't.

It dosn't help that all these adapters are made in the far east and none of the ones that work have brand names on them, which makes it hard to by one myself !

Automation Direct tested several USB/COM converters for use with their PLC's and found that most don't work properly.

I've not used USB/LPT converters, but if they are anything like USB/COM converters then you are probably correct. Very few of them might actually work as advertised.

I have bought a couple of parallel line drivers to try out so i can at least use cheap 4 core cable to link the shop floor pc with the office, rather than expensive multicore screened stuff.

I'll get a reel of cable and try it out in the office though before i spend my evenings running it round the building !

I wish i could find a pair of them units which ran a parallel port over your existing mains wires, i can't for the life of me remember what they were called, they were a black and red odd shaped box.

How about looking at this problem from another direction?

Take a look at Remote Administration or running your program remotely.

Have your program and dongle on the Office computer and run it from your CAM computer that is 60 feet away as you say.

There are many programs that do this quite well and some are even free for use.
Plus some programs are so transparent that it's like being on the other computer, With no lag at all.

Or I imagine you have an Office Network you can run it on.

Take a look around at these programs, Something will fit the bill for you.

Just another way to look at things.

Mohawk

I would love to think that a remote desktop would work, as it would mean i wouldn't have to do any extra cable work !

I thought that running a graphics hungry application with a remote desktop would be a bit of a no go ?

My IT guy didn't seem to think it would work, but i guess it is worth a try.

Nothing ventured nothing gained !

We had a floating license which we could use on any computer hooked up to the network. Only one at a time because we had only one seat.

We had a floating license which we could use on any computer hooked up to the network. Only one at a time because we had only one seat.

Exactly newtwork version, but here is the issue/hickup lets say, are you current on maintenance? the only way to do that is to get ahold of your VAR and see what it would cost, you could be anywhere in the the world on your laptop with an internet conection and VPN into your server and access your dongle.

I sit in the living room with a laptop and a wireless card and remote desktop onto my desktop in my office (on the LAN) running CAD and CAM. Runs fine, and my wife is happy that I'm out watching (sort of) television with her.
Joe

Heheheh, Ya gotta watch those IT guys. I'm one here at work.

My biggest goal is to not have any problems. And to try not to introduce any software that may create problems. But sometimes you got to try things to see if they will work.

Good Luck to you.

Mohawk

If you are on a network already, just use Remote Desktop Connection (it is under accessories). We use it here at work on the computers that don't have vpn access. The only drawback is if you use a smaller monitor on the pc you remote in with, it messes up the icons on the larger desktop of the host pc.

Thanks for all the input guys,

Don't want to involve my software provider, they just will try and sell me an upgrade or want me to renew my mtce agreement.

I have had a couple of toys arrive in the post whilst i have been away the last week.

1) parallel line driver (puts parallel port over 4wire cable upto 2000 ft)
2) USB- Parallel port adapter dongle

Haven't had a chance to try either yet.

Will keep you posted on progress !

Cheers

Back