What's new
What's new

Doosan Lynx 220 LSYC / Mastercam post

RJT

Titanium
We have been struggling with getting the post de bugged with our Mastercam distributor for a few months. Been a Mastecam user for 20+ years, using 2017 version, have all the necessary maintenance . We are close, and distributor is responsive, I'm just surprised a good clean post is not available. Seems like a pretty generic machine with a Fanuc 0ITF controller. Certainly this has been done before. My distributor is sub contracting to get the post de bugged. Is that the norm? I would think corporate would be handling this. We have posts for 10 other machine tool (2 axis lathes, 3 axis mills, wire EDMs) and have never run into this much problem. Minor tweaks were taken care of quickly. I don't think we are doing anything that odd with this machine. I understand each shop has there own way of doing things and want the code a certain way, but does multi axis live tooled lathe usually present this much problem? We are close on code, but the graphic simulation isn't any where near correct. Is this the norm? Brand new machine, but this model and control have been around for a few years.

I work for Doosan and I use Mastercam. While I cannot give you a post, I will say that it is becoming customary for MC to use 3rd party developers for posts now. Especially for multi-axis machines. Postability will have a solid post and you will pay for it. But you are already paying for it in whatever fees you are paying now and with whatever downtime you are dealing with at the moment.

I'm not sure about the Lynx but for the other mill-turn machines, Mastercam made it so that all posts for those machines are locked and proprietary and you need a separate license for each machine. I believe they are free at first but the point being they are getting tired of people modding posts, then blaming the post when things go awry.

You should be getting honest answers from whoever is working on this.

Paul Anderson
Applications Engineer
Doosan Machine Tools America
[email protected]
973-618-2457

Paul,
Getting honest answers, just surprised this isn't a standard off the shelf post. We agreed on a set price for this post from the distributor (haven't paid in full yet), so what you are saying falls in line with what I am experiencing. Wonder why distributor wouldn't buy the post from Postability ? No idea who they are using.

It all depends on what you want them to do with the post, how much you want them to change it, etc..
It's not uncommon for it to take a couple of weeks.
Our 5 axis post is done by In-House Solutions. While I can make parts with it no problem, it's still not perfect. Mainly because I'm anal and want my programs to be informative, VERY lean and easy to read.

It all depends on what you want them to do with the post, how much you want them to change it, etc..
It's not uncommon for it to take a couple of weeks.
Our 5 axis post is done by In-House Solutions. While I can make parts with it no problem, it's still not perfect. Mainly because I'm anal and want my programs to be informative, VERY lean and easy to read.

Mtndew,
While I agree with you 100%, this is the jist of the problem. EVERYBODY wants their code to look the way THEY want it to look. I'm guilty of it too. Which means 100 posts for the same machine. Even for a simple 2 axis lathe or 3 axis mill. All CAM companies will have a workable post in stock. This also comes down to what the OP considers to be a good post. When I first started at Doosan, I was using the default "LATHE C-Y AXIS SLANT BED" post that is still supplied with MC. Worked for me, except for the small number of M codes that Doosan had on the machine that were considered custom. I learned how to edit my posts for simple things like that.

As an applications engineer, I am not allowed to deal with post issues per se. I can help trouble shoot problems that may be related to posts. But I cannot give out posts nor make edits to posts for liability reasons and the fact that my desired code output is not the next guys desired output, even though the machine would run just fine.

5 axis posts are in a league of their own, understandably and that is why they bring hefty charges.

Paul

For working with Mori NLX lathes I downloaded the post from emastercam.com for free. It worked really well out of the box. I had to change some of the M codes. But that is pretty straight forward. If all you are needing to do is format changes, those are fairly easy. I would encourage you to just learn to make simple changes yourself. If you know how to use MasterCam and can read G code, it isn't to hard to figure the basics. And there is plenty of help available.

You can request from your reseller the MP post documentation that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about posts.
Y
Save the original copy and start playing with stuff.

What type of toolpaths/operations are being debugged? What type of issues are you having with the verify/backplotting?

Back