What's new
What's new

Dos based program for programming cnc swiss lathes ??????

Metalmetalmetal

Plastic
I've heard through the grapevine that there is a dos based program called something like swissPro(not sure) or something like that? Anyone have any such files or know where they might be or what they are called? Any help would be appreciated. We are a shop in los angeles , we just bought three Star 16's and need help in the setup programming department. Thanks in advance for any help!

Not really sure how an old dos program is going to help you out??? You might as well just use any lathe programing software, post out what you need and edit the code manually. The Z axes is reversed so switch the z to negative and swap G2 for G3 and you will be well on your way. You can get lathe programing software for a few hundred bucks. I am assuming you do not want to spend 20K for proper Swiss software - Nor should you for simple or long run programs.

If you already know mastercam and want a legacy lathe post, I just finished one. Star SR2 RII Legacy Lathe Post - Gil Machine and Tool

I will post a video soon on how to use it, but if you are just starting out, I recommend just programing it by hand at first.

What exactly are you looking for?

I agree with avongil

Its either a proper swiss software, so you can do anything you like, with the correct post, or by hand if its simple parts and long runs, since by hand you can make the code exactly like you want to have the minimum cycle time

Not many CAM packages support swiss style

IMO you should have a CAM package, so you can do complicated parts, and not turndown small jobs (which may bring bigger jobs)

For the above reason, I think it will pay for it self sooner or later, directly or indirectly

Also, remember it's not that super complicated as it seems, the left side of the machine is a 4 axis lathe (C&Y axis). The right side is a 3 axis lathe (C axis only). You can write your programs with that in mind, then patch them together to get started.

Just about any CAM program will get you started, take it one step at a time. You will want to start off small even before shopping for proper Swiss software, its quite a leap.

I thought about it and decided it was too much money and time involved in learning and implementing new software. The machine is simple enough that it really does not require it, especially for long running jobs.

AG

Back