What's new
What's new

Draftsight Entity Snap inaccuracy

mikey_d

Plastic
Hello,

I just came across a very questionable feature in DraftSight.

The entity snaps are nowhere near accurate. When I say It's a feature, it is because it's mentioned even in this "Getting Started" guide (.pdf).

In my test's I've found out that they will pick a point that is sometimes as much as 0.015 mm off from the real point. To some this will sound like a no big deal, but for someone playing around in parts where the tolerances are usually in region of 0.01 to 0.05.

I hate Draftsight, on my computer the mouse has a very irritating lag that makes selecting a point or a line difficult. I have noticed the error in my tooling drawings, you get little dimension changes when you are adding them. As in when you draw a 3 inch line and then add the dimension and it reads 2.9995. I'll hopefully be upgrading to Solid works as soon as the IT dept. builds me another machine.

Regards

To the OP, screen size seems to def make a big difference on mine when that comes up. And to C02, that mouse lag is horrible on my laptop, but completely gone on my desktop. For what I paid for it, DS is fantastic. :)

The problem is this "Draftsite" .... It sucks. I would recommend checking out something like TurboCAD. It's fairly cheap, like around $100 and it works well. I used it for a while before I upgraded to Mastercam

Back