What's new
What's new

Draftsight problems reading customer DWG, DFX files

TDegenhart

Diamond
I do work with another shop that has contact with the customer. I don't talk to the customer directly normally. Two items. Draftsight recently came out with a new version, 2017 SP1. The customer(s) are sending DWG files that Draftsight apparently cannot read. I open a DWG file and there is nothing there, no entities, no nothing. I have several times asked for the program and version the customer is using but have received nothing back.

Anyone else have this same problem? Not with the customer, the files.

Tom

2 questions:
1: Are you the Draftsight user with the new version, or the customer?
if the former, then:
2: What software does the customer use to create the DWG files?

Note: In their infinite wishdom, ADSK has created 2 versions of DWG-s. One is from AutoCAD, the other is Inventor's own version.
ACAD can read the IV version, but only as long as it is current. Otherwise it will poop on it saying "newer version"
They've also modified the DWG format recently, so perhaps that is the issue.

If you're allowed, I can perhaps take a look at the file and see if it can be reverted to the older format.

I downloaded a copy of Autocad's DWG TueViewer that allows me to get dimensions from the file which is what I was needing.

I will follow up with Draftsight for a version that will open these kinds of files, but for now my problem is solved.

Thanks for your responses.

Tom

edit:-

Is there a way of determining what program a file was generated with?

Is there a way of determining what program a file was generated with?

Hmm... Good question.
When you open a DWG in late(r) versions of AutoCAD, you will get a message saying that the file is a TrustedDWG or not, and you get the DWG file version.
I am running ACAD-2012, and it's using DWG version 2010.
The newest is I believe 2015 which came out 2 releases ago???
I do know that on my other machine I've defaulted ACAD to 2010 so I can interchange, and whenever I export ( save-as copy ) in Inventor, I had to specify
DWG 2010 or else AutoCAD 2012 won't open it.

As to how to interrogate the file itself within just Windoze to find out the creator ... Don't know.

I opened a file that Draftsight couldn't read with wordpad and found this,
------------
_ _______Î__¹__7ü_J____IEND®B`‚àÚ’ø+É××b¨5Àb»ïÔ_________________________________°_ _€[dA‹XdA«XdA‹[dA‹[dA¬8ô½w_¬´______A_p_p_I_n_f_o_D_a_t_a_L_i_s_t_______________________ _4_._1_._1_._3_0___________________f_T_h_i_s_ _f_i_l_e_ _w_a_s_ _l_a_s_t_ _s_a_v_e_d_ _b_y_ _a_n_ _O_p_e_n_ _D_e_s_i_g_n_ _A_l_l_i_a_n_c_e_ _(_O_D_A_)_ _a_p_p_l_i_c_a_t_i_o_n_ _o_r_ _a_n_ _O_D_A_ _l_i_c_e_n_s_e_d_ _a_p_p_l_i_c_a_t_i_o_n_.___________________˜_<_P_r_o_d_u_c_t_I_n_f_o_r_m_a_t_i_o_n_ _n_a_m_e_ _=_"_T_e_i_g_h_a_(_R_)_._N_E_T_ _f_o_r_ _._d_w_g_ _f_i_l_e_s_"_ _b_u_i_l_d___v_e_r_s_i_o_n_=_"_1_._3_0_"_ _r_e_g_i_s_t_r_y___v_e_r_s_i_o_n_=_"_4_._1_"_ _i_n_s_t_a_l_l___i_d___s_t_r_i_n_g_=_"_O_D_A_"_ _r_e_g_i_s_t_r_y___l_o_c_a_l_e_I_D_=_"_1_0_3_3_"_/_>_____________
-------------

It doesn't tell what the original program was, but the file was run through this file convertor, which accepts .dwg files and converts them into specific ACAD formats.

Interesting.

Tom

I just looked at a file created by Draftsight and it has the same message.

Back