What's new
What's new

esprit 2012

dhorton

Plastic
We just got the new esprit. I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet? Is it worth it to upgrade? The reason I ask is, getting esprit 2011 to work has not been easy (understatement of the year). We especially had trouble with the post. I'm worried we'll have to go back to square one. We're using it on a mazak integrex.

The reseller was a big part of the problem. But at this point we've moved beyond them. I just thought I'd get a less biased opinion in here. Of course tech support is going to tell me its good to go. They also told me the post was good 'out of the box'. It wasn't even close.
Anyway I just don't want to lose what little progress we've made.

We are Gibbscam here, but I don't think updating versions of your software should change anything. You won't be changing the post after all. Maybe some Espirit users can chime in.

I used Esprit years ago and liked the software very much. But there was no help getting the post to work, even though it was a modified basic Fanuc post. I got lots of help if I had a specific question or wanted one thing to work a certain way but you have to be very specific about what you want.

As for your machine, I would think they would have a bit of that done as they advertise the multifunction machines heavily. Perhaps there just isnt anyone that familiar with Mazak at the moment. Or perhaps the machine is new enough to you that you dont know how to ask the right questions. That is sort of what my problem was, I was so new that I didnt really know what to ask for so I just downloaded the manual and started writing my own post. It took a while and I did get some help with what I didnt understand and in the end worked just fine.

For what it is worth I had the same problem with the software I use now, I just knew more about what I wanted so I wrote my own post. I will bet all the software companies will work about the same.

Charles

Yeah we started out with their software, and was told when we bought it that they would help with the post, well there help was giving me the number to the guy that writes their posts and told me it would cost 500-1500 to have them do it. so I took it to myself and rewrote my own for our fanuc controller. it took time to prove all of it but once i got it, it worked great. since then we moved away from them, Esprit is the leader in EDM but are a little behind with mill and lathe compaired to others.

I think the original question has to do with whether the 2012 upgrade is good to go, or has anyone experienced problems with it? He's not bashing Esprit, just wondering if he should install or wait a bit. Seems like a prudent question to me.

Dan

Esprit 2012

I installed 2012 last week and have had no issues yet. This release has been the smoothest transition I have seen from Esprit

Back