What's new
What's new

Esprit 2016

rbest34

Plastic
Talked to the salesman for California the other day about the 2016 version at an open house at Mazak. Told me the way the Mori add in works, will apply to other machine builds. I like that idea.

Never buy a post without making them prove it works on your machine.

Talked to the salesman for California the other day about the 2016 version at an open house at Mazak. Told me the way the Mori add in works, will apply to other machine builds. I like that idea.

Starting in 06/01/2015 through 04/01/2016, we tried to work with Esprit’s CAD/CAM software that was unable to function safely or properly and this product does not function as advertised.

Fact:
Esprit is not a proven post for our 2015 Multus B300II

Proof:
We purchased MasterCam at the end of March 2016 and in 72hrs we were able to program and make its first complete part with our new Multus.
All issues with MasterCam that arose were phoned into the techs and resolved in 24hrs and those items no longer show again.

We have completed a dozen completely different parts with MasterCam, in the last few weeks, these parts where completed first try each with no tool breakage or wild code that sends our programmer to tech support.

1. The proof is that MasterCam came into our facility and programmed a fictitious part that we handed them and they proved the post on our machine. Live in our shop!!!! Unlike Esprit taking over 6 months and still not figuring out that we had a Submicron option on our Multus, until Jan 2016. Even though we told them this was the issue with their software countless times in 2015.
2. Esprit’s software never was able to complete a sellable part. Esprit on the screen in the office looks great and throws no errors. Nor did it show the removal of the wall of one part in particular, but improper nc code that was outputted to the Multus gave a result of removing the wall of the part. The simulator on the Multus is what constantly saved us.
3. We have not had any broken tooling or scrap raw stock with MasterCam. This is the difference between a properly working post (producing good nc code) from a good software company. Compared to Esprit that just says they have a proven post. We broke several tools and a long stick composite chamfer tool from Sandvik Coromant.
4. Proof of the day and night difference between MasterCam and Esprit is our sales. Zero when we tried using Esprit and everything we touched with MasterCam has been all green.
5. Esprit's go to argument is the need for more training for Esprit’s complicated software. This is null and voided when you compare it to 72 hours later with MasterCam and completed parts coming out of our Multus. That ends any Esprit Training remark.
6. Esprit really thinks that we should believe that 6 to 12 months is an industry standard for bringing a Multi Tasking Machine like the Multus up and running with a CAD/CAM like Esprit. When the sales guy sent out the applications engineer to our shop, I also had a 25 yr medical engineer present at the facility for the discussion. When he mentioned again about 6 to 12 months being industry standard the older medical engineer spoke up and said (No, 30 days to operational level and if it crosses 30 days a replacement program is being brought in. This is the true standard and no company that he has ever worked in has tolerated more than this.)

The walk away from this story?
Make them prove it works on your machine. I can tell you MasterCam was eager to come in and prove it.

By the way with the package and all of the options we needed we spent over $40K on Esprit and about the same with MasterCam.
But guess what? Even though Esprit never worked nor could they produce a part, they will not refund the money.

That means you just tossed over $40K into the fire and watched it burn.

Make them prove their Post or send them out the door quickly.

So far I've had zero issues with any of the posts for my machines. Support has been very helpful in my case. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and your company.

Mastercam, on my end made very little effort to try and sell to my company. It's a great software as well. It really boils down to what works for you and your company.

We received our Esprit 2016 and of course I wait until the second service release since we don't have time to be a guinea pig. It didn't work. Just wouldn't run. We even had our reseller come and give it a whirl. Back to 2015. He says hopefully when service release 3 comes out we should have better luck.

Nice.

So far I've had zero issues with any of the posts for my machines. Support has been very helpful in my case. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and your company.

Mastercam, on my end made very little effort to try and sell to my company. It's a great software as well. It really boils down to what works for you and your company.

I don't mind it not working.

I really mind the $40K+ walking away and getting a nose thumbed at you for a product that does not work.

In the normal world that's theft.

Last edited:
We received our Esprit 2016 and of course I wait until the second service release since we don't have time to be a guinea pig. It didn't work. Just wouldn't run. We even had our reseller come and give it a whirl. Back to 2015. He says hopefully when service release 3 comes out we should have better luck.

Nice.

What machines are you trying to program? What doesn't work? PM me, I'd wager I could get you up and running.

I don't mind it not working.

I really mind the $40K+ walking away and getting a nose thumbed at you for a product that does not work.

In the normal world that's theft.

Were you dealing with a reseller or directly with Esprit? Those posts (Okuma) are factory certified, so unless you were programming in an unorthodox manner, they should be good out of the box.

We use Esprit for a Mazak Integrex. I'll have to talk with the programmer/operator when he returns from vacation to remind me exactly what was happening. Our reseller suggested waiting for the next release.

Dan

Back