What's new
What's new

Esprit breaks path into many tiny segments

subwoofer

Plastic
Hello,

Why does esprit smash my model/edge into many tiny segments? Especially when doing Wire EDM? My path seems to be simple, but when i create a tool motion there are many small movements.
But, those tiny segments are not all the way... at some point i have a long tool path, than tiny segments again.. and so on...
Yesterday i was doing SolidTurn and made geometry with Turning profiles. It was a very simple Radius, but esprit broke it in a dozen segments,and when I generate the G-code, I get a list of G01 moves. So i had to draw a radius instead, and got only one tool move G03 for that radius.

Can anyone explain me what am i doing wrong?

Making tool path into short line segments assures most any control can run it. Most cad systems have a setting to use arcs, and ask you how your machine likes it's i's, j',s and k',s. Takes some trial and error, but not too bad to figure out. The problem with this is that most controls cannot do arcs in 3d, only in one of the three axial planes. If you have the memory for the program length the line segments are much easier.

Don't forget that when you cut a blend which is tilted, such as on drafted walls, with either Z-level milling or wedm there is no arc; it is a curve , not an arc. However if you loosen up tolerances any cam system will attempt to fit as many arc moves into your path as much as possible. The sloppier the tolerance, the more arcs you will get even though geometrically there are none.

If the geometry is a radius, it should output G02/G03 moves, if it's a curve/spline then it will output G01 moves as your seeing. If Esprit is like Surfcam then there should be a setting for curve tolerance. Lowering the curve tolerance will shorten the lengths of the lines, which short of modifying the geometry to arcs is your best option.

Back