What's new
What's new

Esprit vs Gibbs vs Featurecam for Turn/Mill

Greasegun

Plastic
Looking for a Cam package for all of our Turn Mill machines. We have everything from Single Turret twin spindle machines to 3 turret twin spindle. We also have a few swiss machines. We have it narrowed down to these 3 options.

Anyone out there that has experience with at least 2 of these 3 softwares, I would love to hear about strengths and weaknesses.

One drawback we have found so far on Featurecam is the lack of support for fixed angle live heads. Esprit seems very powerful but it seems like it maybhave the steepest learning curve. I love Gibbs but only have experience with single turret lathes in Gibbs.

With so many different machines, the post processors will be a huge factor. We like the way Esprit is appoaching this problem by having 1 post for each machine that is developed in partnership with the machine tool manufacturer.

Thanks.

Not used Gibbs or FC but Esprit is pretty solid on the MillTurns. The learning curve is not as bad as most would have you believe. The factory certified posts are really quite nice as well. If Esprit ever releases their next gen version I think they will start becoming more of a house hold name in CAM...maybe it'll finally happen this year.

I saw what I assume was a pre release version a year or so ago so lots could have changed since but it's following the general layout most other Windows based softwares are. It has that Microsoft Office feel to it with the ribbon bars, similar to what Mastercam has done with 2017. The game changer is that this next gen will finally be a 64bit piece of software, so with that I would expect much better performance.
But yes, I assume major overhaul since this thing has been talked about for the past couple years.

Im surprised that they still aren't 64 bit. Gibbscam made that jump years ago. I guess if it isnt broke dont fix it.

I would take a solid look at Gibbs and Esprit, the sticking point for Gibbs would be the availability of posts for your machines or the ability for your reseller to get you correct ones since you cannot edit them yourself (with exceptions). If you can get solid code from Gibbs I'd put it against anything most other systems can throw at and for things like turning I feel like it does an exceptional job. Playing with the Swiss turning the spindle synchronization is nicely implemented and multiple turrets machines are not difficult to work with.

If it's true that Esprit has a single post for each machine certified by the MTB you may hit the ground running faster with Esprit but as a daily, full time Gibbs user I have no questions about Gibbs capabilities.

Last edited:
I never used it myself but at a previous job Gibbscam was the CAM program for a cell I worked in with three Nakamura-Tome Super NTM3's and two STW-40's so it is nothing if not capable.

Partmaker (now part of Featurecam ultimate)is used to program all of our (over 15) millturns and Swiss.
While the posts for most all machines are readily available, they were sketchy right out of the box. But (and this is a huge but), we customize every single post we have, regardless of software or machine. We demand programs with ZERO hand edits. to our way of doing things. A stock post will not work.
Partmaker makes that fairly painless, as they have a good post editor, and is fairly open to customization.
I've made Partmaker posts from 7-13 axis, including full 5 axis millturn posts capable of doing anything most 5 axis mill packages do.
Any cam system can make toolpath. But can it make YOUR toolpath, the exact way you want it?
Not knowing Gibbs or Esprit, I can't answer that. But a user configurable post is something many over look

If Esprit ever releases their next gen version I think they will start becoming more of a house hold name in CAM...maybe it'll finally happen this year.

I've been using the new version of Esprit (Esprit TNG) as an early adopter for over 2 years. I'm pretty sure it is available now, but not for dual (or more) channel controls.

I personally feel it is a HUGE step up from the 20XX versions. Very nice UI and fast to calculate toolpaths. Simulation is also VERY nice.

I'm still using Esprit 2016 to program my mill-turn, and although nowhere near as nice to use as TNG, it is extremely powerful and has been able to program anything i've needed on my 9 axis machine, including simultaneous 5 axis, sub spindle transfer, etc. with no post edits. I'm using the DMG Mori certified post and it's been bulletproof.

Haven't used Gibbs or FC, so can't give a comparison sorry.

I've been using the new version of Esprit (Esprit TNG) as an early adopter for over 2 years. I'm pretty sure it is available now, but not for dual (or more) channel controls.

I personally feel it is a HUGE step up from the 20XX versions. Very nice UI and fast to calculate toolpaths. Simulation is also VERY nice.

I'm still using Esprit 2016 to program my mill-turn, and although nowhere near as nice to use as TNG, it is extremely powerful and has been able to program anything i've needed on my 9 axis machine, including simultaneous 5 axis, sub spindle transfer, etc. with no post edits. I'm using the DMG Mori certified post and it's been bulletproof.

Haven't used Gibbs or FC, so can't give a comparison sorry.

Can I ask how you were able to get on the early adopter train? Think that TNG will be released this year?

Can I ask how you were able to get on the early adopter train? Think that TNG will be released this year?

I heard rumours of TNG and asked my reseller. Note that "early adopter" is more like beta tester so it's been a lot of work documenting problems and suggestions. It's only really been the past 12 months that it's been productive for me.
I think you can get TNG now? Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

This is good info. I think we are leaning towards Esprit, because it looks like its really geared toward mill/turn, but not sure yet. One thing we have concerns about is 2d geometry creation and editing in Esprit, it doesnt look the best. We get alot of prints without models. Is the TNG version any different on the CAD front?

Is the TNG version going to require any retraining or re testing of posts?

Thanks!

This is good info. I think we are leaning towards Esprit, because it looks like its really geared toward mill/turn, but not sure yet. One thing we have concerns about is 2d geometry creation and editing in Esprit, it doesnt look the best. We get alot of prints without models. Is the TNG version any different on the CAD front?

Is the TNG version going to require any retraining or re testing of posts?

Thanks!

The 2D/Solid creation is a little thin but I have yet to come across a part I could not model with Esprit. Once you get used to drawing in Esprit it's really not bad to work with. Honestly though, if you're doing a ton of modeling a basic seat of SW would pay for itself quite quickly...I would say that regardless of the CAM package you are using/considering.

The last 2 questions I can't give first hand knowledge but I don't think Esprit would venture to far from the original function of the software. There might be some added goodies for CAD but I doubt anything that would be considered ground breaking. The posts, they will still be rock solid...that's Esprit's claim to fame so I doubt anything would change there.

If you do go with Esprit I highly recommend spending the extra $$ on the knowledge base function. This can save you hours per program.

I've attached an image showing the options available in the geometry tab of TNG. I rarely create geometry inside esprit as I have a seat of Solid Edge, but I've never had an issue.

Esprit Geometry.jpg

Minimal retraining required to go to TNG as the way you create features and operations is basically the same. Biggest difference comes from the way you setup the parts, fixtures and machines.

The posts for TNG are a little different mainly because they have to accomodate the automatic link calculation inside TNG. Also, they are pushing even more towards a certified package with a very accurate machine models and posts to suit. Esprit worked with me to optimise the post for the NHX5000 and it's outstanding. Very well optimised, and uses all of the available features of the machine.

I remember them talking about tge knowledge base in the demo. Can you refresh my memory as to what that does?

Thanks

I've attached an image showing the options available in the geometry tab of TNG. I rarely create geometry inside esprit as I have a seat of Solid Edge, but I've never had an issue.

View attachment 189033

Minimal retraining required to go to TNG as the way you create features and operations is basically the same. Biggest difference comes from the way you setup the parts, fixtures and machines.

The posts for TNG are a little different mainly because they have to accomodate the automatic link calculation inside TNG. Also, they are pushing even more towards a certified package with a very accurate machine models and posts to suit. Esprit worked with me to optimise the post for the NHX5000 and it's outstanding. Very well optimised, and uses all of the available features of the machine.

Awesome. Great info. Thanks

If you do go with Esprit I highly recommend spending the extra $$ on the knowledge base function. This can save you hours per program.

This can not be overstated. I make extensive use of the expression builder and default technology to automate programming as much as possible. Not using this capability of Esprit is like buying a Ferrari and not revving it over 2k RPM. You're really missing out on what it was built to do.

Back