What's new
What's new

FeatureCAM file issue

thesquareladd

Plastic
Hi there,
New to FeatureCAM but this is an old version (2008)
I'm in (turning) mode And trying to 'Save NC'.
When I click 'Save NC' a message pops up ' error loading CNC file. The CNC file is for turning only. A turn/mill CNC file is needed.'
Does anyone know what is going on? When I started the new file my options are
Turn/Mill
Milling setup
Miutliple fixture
So I have no choice but to use the turn/mill option anyway?
I'm engraving on a cylinder, using the 'wrap feature around z axis'

Thanks
Joe

Hi there,
New to FeatureCAM but this is an old version (2008)
I'm in (turning) mode And trying to 'Save NC'.
When I click 'Save NC' a message pops up ' error loading CNC file. The CNC file is for turning only. A turn/mill CNC file is needed.'
Does anyone know what is going on? When I started the new file my options are
Turn/Mill
Milling setup
Miutliple fixture
So I have no choice but to use the turn/mill option anyway?
I'm engraving on a cylinder, using the 'wrap feature around z axis'

Thanks
Joe
Not sure I can help but I have been able to engrave on a cylinder in milling mode. Font needs to be imported or drawn in the center of the cylinder, then selected and projected to surface. There is a command feature(maybe surface projection) to use to do this with. Takes a little thought and has been awhile since I have used it. Not sure if I saw something Wheelie King posted about this recently, maybe he can chime in as well.

IIRC check the options and make sure you are using a Mill/Turn post. The .CNC file is the post formatting file - if there are tool paths it is not qualified for, I believe it throws the error dialog you are getting.

Fred

IIRC check the options and make sure you are using a Mill/Turn post. The .CNC file is the post formatting file - if there are tool paths it is not qualified for, I believe it throws the error dialog you are getting.

Fred

Hi there,
I found the post options page, it's got the correct machine in, but I'm not sure if that machine is THE machine I'm using.
This software has never been used for mill/turning just 2d milling.
So maybe I have to get an up to date version?
Thanks !
Joe

On the page that shows the post being used there should be a button for editing the post. If you click on that it will take you into XBuild (the excellent post editor for Featurecam). The menu options in XBuild on the far left (or second from left) allow you check all the options the .cnc file is currently setup for and will allow you to change appropriate ones. HTH...been a while and working with aging memory here :)

Fred

Fred you're clever man! Thank you so much!
Now I have to work out why it's not generating any code for the A axis, even though on the simulation the A axis is moving 😭 I'm only getting X and Z
Thanks
Joe

If you don't get this going a few points to ponder, go to your help menu find the Feature CAM forum there are some archived poston different subjects. Autodesk also has a current forum. I am getting ready to learn 4th axis my self
,I saw something lately about add ins for different machine post ????. Maybe something there you need. Lastly Autodesk has gone to a subscription only after Jan 31 not sure that you would get any help from them without spending a lot of $$$$$.

Clearly you are not using the correct post processor for your machine.

Unfortunately there is much more to adding rotary to a post than just ticking a few boxes in xbuild!

Fortunately, 2008 was the last version of FC that included all the turn/mill posts with the installation - they were removed in later versions - so you can probably find something that will work or at least give you a solid start without having to talk to autodesk at all, let alone give them any money.

I don't know what kind of lathe you've got, but just about every live tool lathe out there is slightly different with it's M and G codes for rotary work. If you don't have the exact matching post-processor then you can expect things to not work as intended. In this case you need existing knowledge of how to program the rotary on your machine, or at least it's programming manual, before you attempt any tweaks to the post.

Clearly you are not using the correct post processor for your machine.

Unfortunately there is much more to adding rotary to a post than just ticking a few boxes in xbuild!

Fortunately, 2008 was the last version of FC that included all the turn/mill posts with the installation - they were removed in later versions - so you can probably find something that will work or at least give you a solid start without having to talk to autodesk at all, let alone give them any money.

I don't know what kind of lathe you've got, but just about every live tool lathe out there is slightly different with it's M and G codes for rotary work. If you don't have the exact matching post-processor then you can expect things to not work as intended. In this case you need existing knowledge of how to program the rotary on your machine, or at least it's programming manual, before you attempt any tweaks to the post.

Hi there,
Thanks for the information.
It's not the fact that the m and or g codes are wrong it's the fact that it's not even generating A axis coordinates. So it's like the software is unaware of its ' presence ' maybe ? Like I havent told it to use live tooling.
But on the simulation it works as it should. it's programmed it in X and Z.
I've looked on the xbuild, and can't see much at all stated about the A axis ?
Thanks for your time!
Joe

Hi there,
Thanks for the information.
It's not the fact that the m and or g codes are wrong it's the fact that it's not even generating A axis coordinates. So it's like the software is unaware of its ' presence ' maybe ? Like I havent told it to use live tooling.
But on the simulation it works as it should. it's programmed it in X and Z.
I've looked on the xbuild, and can't see much at all stated about the A axis ?
Thanks for your time!
Joe

None of that is really relevant. The problem remains that you're using the wrong post processor. Rotary moves have to be defined in there for linear, arc and rapid moves - if not you'll only see xyz in the generated code.

What exact machine are you using?

Hi all
sorted it today, because I changed computers.. the correct post was in the original!
Thanks all very very much for your help! It's much appreciated!!
Joe

Back