What's new
What's new

Found a GibbsCam Dongle, can I use it?

tk843

Plastic
I bought an old facit tape punch and it came with a box of "accessories." In the accessories I found a cable with a dongle on the end of it, when I looked at it I saw it was for Virtual Gibbs, Cutdata and several other programs. I bought it from a guy on ebay a while ago, I assume he didn't know what it was. Is it legal to transfer and to use it, and is it even still useful?

If this is true virtual gibbs you're looking at pre-2000 I believe before they changed their name to GibbsCAM. Not sure about the legality of transferring a dongle as far as gibbs cares but I'd rather poke my eye out with a sharp stick than use such an antiquated piece of software and that's coming from a Gibbs guy.

My thought...I was told if I lost said Dongle, if was Stolen or destroyed in a fire I'd have to buy a Whole New Seat of Gibbs...

So following thru with that logic...finding that Dongle Key must entitle you to a seat of Gibbs.

Congrats to you...

As to the old version being less then perfect...In all honesty I have seen little improvement to the parts being made....

-Are the graphics better, they sure are!
-Are there a few more options in ways to machine your parts, no doubt!
-Are there a few time saving tricks today, Yup!

My old Virtual Gibbs made great code to make great parts.

I bought an old facit tape punch and it came with a box of "accessories." In the accessories I found a cable with a dongle on the end of it, when I looked at it I saw it was for Virtual Gibbs, Cutdata and several other programs. I bought it from a guy on ebay a while ago, I assume he didn't know what it was. Is it legal to transfer and to use it, and is it even still useful?

Knowing the Version for the dongle would be useful.

Pretty sure we were using V7.-sumthin' to do most of our programming for our 2 1/2 axis cutting on a Milltronics knee mill.

Knowing what options are on it activated, would help too.

May be interested if it has anything useful to me. Mill, at least 2 1/2 axis. 3 better. Cheap. :)

Cheers
Trev

You certainly can use it.... but transferring ownership with Gibbs would likely require a bill of sale either the seat listed specifically. That is the only way for them to discern. Good luck, I love Gibbs....... I tried 2 others first that did not work.... Gibbs did, on the same parts.

Made a little headway w/ the dongle. It appears it was for Gibbscam 2000, it is a serial dongle. Its for Virtual Gibbs, Lathe, Exch, Cutdata and AMill. Gibbs told me it was the "GibbsCam V5.57 Production CD - Rainbow"

They are giving me the run around as to whether this allows me a seat, I figured they would want to sell me the license again.

Interesting as awhile back, I had a Gibbs dongle along with books and other stuff I tried to sell on ebay. The listing got pulled as ebay said Gibbs claimed I was committing a copyright violation by trying to sell it.

Last update if anyone is interested. By owning the dongle I own the license with or without the software. As the new owner you must supply the serial number and a valid bill of sale from when you received the dongle to Gibbs so they can verify it is not stolen or past due on a lease. They will then "begin the process" of working with you to sell you the updates and programs you require.

I'm 100% sure that you can't resale a Mastercam seat because I actually went through and read the licensing agreement when we purchased it... You pay to lease the rights to use the software... you do not own the software, and therefore cannot sell something you do not own... I don't know for a fact that GibbsCAM has the same thing listed in their licensing agreement... but from a legal standpoint it's HIGHLY unlikely... Software companies pay BIG money to have the rights to sell licenses for CAM software...

If you got your hands on whatever version of software that the dongle unlocks... I'd imagine that software would work... but I would NOT imagine it would be legal to use...

Back