What's new
What's new

Free fusion360 for hobbyists

CaptnBlynd

Plastic
I see many posts that state that fusion360 is $25 or $40 per month for everyday use. The truth is that it is free to use, one year renewable license for start-ups and hobbyists. Here is the link which explains, straight from autoDesk:

How to activate Start-up, Student or Educational licensing for Fusion 36 | Fusion 36 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

I just thought some people may find this helpful. Fusion360 is basically free to use for non-commercial use.

I think it is also a little confusing in that everyone says it is $300 per year. I was thinking the trial version was for ultimate not standard. Ultimate is $1500/year.

So after the trial expires and someone purchases the 300/year version they won't have all the features they had on the trial.

Is the free hobbyist license for ultimate or standard? If you qualify as a start up and the business at some point no longer qualifies for the free license what version would you need to purchase to have the same functionality?

I believe it for standard only.

The link you provided says

Solution:
Important License Information:
All trials are for Fusion 360 Ultimate. To activate Start-Up or Educational licensing, you must download install Fusion 360 from the Autodesk website or the Autodesk Education Website.

I just spent the better part of a month learning Fusion. Steep learning curve, but a great software for design especially with multiple moving components.

It does have a CAM section to write gcode. Compared to Mastercam, I found it wanting. of course, there is a bit of a price difference :)

I just spent the better part of a month learning Fusion. Steep learning curve, but a great software for design especially with multiple moving components.

It does have a CAM section to write gcode. Compared to Mastercam, I found it wanting. of course, there is a bit of a price difference :)

Agreed, you get what you pay for. If Fusion suits the needs of a shop then great, if not it's time move on.

Just one note here:

Do not spend hours and hours learning this program if you do not intend buying it.
That free license comes to an end and cannot be renewed unless you buy the package.

Just one note here:

Do not spend hours and hours learning this program if you do not intend buying it.
That free license comes to an end and cannot be renewed unless you buy the package.

This is not true if you are a student or enthusiast, you certainly can continue to use it for free if you are not using it for monetary gain.

Right now im using FreeCAD, which matches my novice level of design work. I know at some point I'm going to need to get with the times and go with solidworks or fusion.

Just one note here:

I had no trouble renewing my free license a few months back.

Back