What's new
What's new

Fryer post questions

chequamegon

Plastic
We have a Fryer MB16-R with the Touch 2200 controller and have just purchased MasterCAM after using another brand of CNC software for some time. Our local reseller is having some difficulty getting us a fully working post. He's claiming that each machine is different and that the Fryer has in his words "some oddities" that make it different from other machines.

Am I getting fed a line of BS? I would think that there are at least some Fryer users out there that are using MasterCAM and that they should have a post readily available. Is this an incorrect assumption? and lastly, would anyone using MasterCAM and this controller be willing to share a working post?

Thanks so much in advance.

Ken

This is really a question you should ask your reseller before issuing the PO. I'm honestly surprised they never asked you what kind of machines you were running.
At first glance the control looks similar to a Seimens, there should be no issue in them getting you a post for that. I also ran across info stating that this control has a fanuc translator? No idea how well that works but again, if it takes Fanuc code there should be no issue in them getting you a post.
Are you sure you are dealing with an authorized Mastercam Reseller? I feel like they would be more knowledgeable than what's coming across in your post.

Our reseller is a well known machinery dealer in the area. The rep had made comments before the po was cut that "Fryers were difficult machines to write a post for" and that "each machine is different" so my red flags were raised but I wasn't the one making the final purchasing decision and the reseller made it sound like it really wouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty sure the Touch 2200 controller is from Siemens. I would think that MasterCAM already has post for these machines "on the shelf" as they have been around for awhile. I have purchased CNC software for other companies and don't remember getting working posts to be this difficult and and just trying to sort out reality from any BS (if any).

Thanks for the reply

If providing a post was part of the quote then you are at the mercy of your reseller. If you are paying for a post in addition to the software I would suggest getting in contact with Postability. They specialize in creating posts for Mastercam and definitely would have you up and running asap.

I don't know how the MB16-R is setup, but we have an MC100 VMC and it's as simple as plopping a G291 before each operation, which converts a Fanuc style milling program to run on our Fryer. So, literally, all I had to do was convert a Fanuc 3X Mill post to throw out a G291 before each tool change, and it's 100% ready to go.

In my opinion, if you want to cut through the bullshit quickly, the best thing to do is call your Fryer rep direct. If yours is half as good as mine they'll be able to tell you straight off whether or not there's a working post floating around for that machine. They may even have one they can send you.

I have found out that our local guy is using Postability to supply the post. Looks like we now have a "working post that needs a few bugs worked out" as I've been told this morning. I'm beginning to think that maybe the issue is more with a lack of urgency with our staff but the question remains for my understanding this process better.

Why does the post need to be edited? The Machine is an off of the shelf, no customization, unit. I'm sure we're not the first ones using this model machine with MasterCAM. Why wouldn't there be a post already written? Each machine surely shouldn't be unique, would it?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

I have found out that our local guy is using Postability to supply the post. Looks like we now have a "working post that needs a few bugs worked out" as I've been told this morning. I'm beginning to think that maybe the issue is more with a lack of urgency with our staff but the question remains for my understanding this process better.

Why does the post need to be edited? The Machine is an off of the shelf, no customization, unit. I'm sure we're not the first ones using this model machine with MasterCAM. Why wouldn't there be a post already written? Each machine surely shouldn't be unique, would it?

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Hard to say, honestly.

If I remember correctly the Touch 2200 is a relatively new control. If it's capable and you're willing to run Fanuc style g-code then the post is dead simple. About 6 or 7 months ago though I became aware that Fryer was working closely with Mastercam to produce a post that would actually spit out code in a language that is pursuant with the language that you can already see on the Fryer control. I've spent only enough time around the Fryer to know that it's language is a little bit different, and developing a post for it would probably be a bit of a pain. I'm not exactly sure when they started developing that post, I'm not sure how far it's come or what kind of urgency they even have to get it done.

The forum isn't exactly bursting at the seams with conversation about Fryer Machine Tools, so it may take a while to get straight-forward answers to the questions you're asking. I'll just reiterate that I'd think giving your Fryer rep a call or sending over an email might be the quickest way to grab information about the post you're after. I can say that I'm firmly planted in the same boat with my reseller, and there's times where getting information from them is like pulling teeth, which can be very frustrating.

Thanks for the assistance.

Plan on giving a few days, sounds like they finally got a post that works. The machinist is checking it over now. If it's not correct I will give our Fryer dealer a call, though I'm not sure how much help they will give us as they are also the Gibbs dealer and they lost the sale to MasterCam.

Thanks again

Ken

It's been some time back I was still in the tooling shop when we got our first FRYER and I do remember working with the tech support for FeatureCam now called DellCam I think. And there were 3 or 4 things that we had to change in the post to get it t work correctly been such a long time back I don't remember though I do know though the FeatureCam post builder was pretty simple to work with. Hope you gt it sorted out.

I found with our fryers (we have 4) that Haas code with g291 before each tool change fixed our post problems. The Siemens code that my post on camworks output wouldn't work. Most fanuc code the H numbers or D numbers screw it up.

also need a G290 at the end of the post, at least on ours. but yes, G291 at the beginning for sure

I don't know how the MB16-R is setup, but we have an MC100 VMC and it's as simple as plopping a G291 before each operation, which converts a Fanuc style milling program to run on our Fryer. So, literally, all I had to do was convert a Fanuc 3X Mill post to throw out a G291 before each tool change, and it's 100% ready to go.
this is true, but on ours you also need to add G290 at the end of the program also

Back