What's new
What's new

Fusion 360/HSMWorks simultaneous 5-axis CAM of threaded part

Bendak

Aluminum
Hi all,

I have been trying to CAM this part for a while now but can't seem to figure out the 5-axis part of it. I have found virtually not resources online that are able to explain 5-axis machining on a turned part using either HSMWorks or Fusion 360. I know that it is possible since I have seen it done by people such as this guy (HSMworks 5 axis pocket - YouTube). It does not seem that hard when I imagine it since most of the part can be machined by keeping the tool a a constant angle of about 2.66° as the space between the threads is machined away. Of course it can be done solely by using parallel or adaptive clearing, but this would take many hours of machining, is inefficient, and leaves a relatively rough surface. I could use that for smaller features such as the cam-like protrusions near the back, but as for everything else, it seem best to use 5-axis, or at the very least, 4-axis. If anyone knows how to setup up the CAM for this part or knows of some useful tutorials, please let me know. I tried attaching the file in .STEP and .STL file format but the website says that it is an invalid file type so here is a screenshot instead.
large.jpg

Thanks,
Jack

Bendak,

Would suggest you post your question to following:

HSM - Autodesk Community

This is the actual CAM website for all of the HSM variants (HSMWorks, Inventor HSM, and Fusion CAM). I suspect the level of involvement by 5 axis gurus is considerably greater at this website. Also, developers frequent the site and may respond as well.

Fred

I have already done that a got no response

yes I did show you it can be done with 4 th axis in HSMWorks.

I had to monkey fart around to get it to work, you'll have to do the same to figure out the 5 th axis, Lauren's is the guru on the HSM forum, if he cannot do it with HSMWorks well then not sure who can with it.

you also have to make sure your post is setup correctly for 5 axis.....

yes I did show you it can be done with 4 th axis in HSMWorks.

I had to monkey fart around to get it to work, you'll have to do the same to figure out the 5 th axis, Lauren's is the guru on the HSM forum, if he cannot do it with HSMWorks well then not sure who can with it.

you also have to make sure your post is setup correctly for 5 axis.....

I get no respect..

Made some more progress but am still having trouble cutting some excess material near the front and back ends of the spaces in between the threads. I also checked out that other post but it employed a method that takes over 5 hours to machine instead of just minutes.
Capture.jpg

Back