What's new
What's new

Fusion 360- Lathe Cam?

ManualEd

Stainless
Hi All,

I've been playing around with Fusion 360 and the lathe CAM, but no joy in getting it to work.
I have zero experience with any CAD/CAM

Does anyone know of any turning CAM tutorial videos?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

Im being serious and not a smart ass hear but don't you own a mazak lathe? If yes? Then I ask why would you want to use cam to drive it? From my understanding its the best conversational control out there as far as easy to program. Just wondering what the thought process is as to why you wouldn't want to use whats on the control is all? Just an exercise in learning something new?

If No Mazak? Please disregard all that babbling ^^^ up there. Lol...

Brent

Hi Ed,

Im being serious and not a smart ass hear but don't you own a mazak lathe? If yes? Then I ask why would you want to use cam to drive it? From my understanding its the best conversational control out there as far as easy to program. Just wondering what the thought process is as to why you wouldn't want to use whats on the control is all? Just an exercise in learning something new?

If No Mazak? Please disregard all that babbling ^^^ up there. Lol...

Brent

I'd like to try it out, incase something more complicated comes across, like a sprocket or some sort of cam. I'm sure Phil or toolcat could whip it up on Mazatrol, but I'd be utterly hopeless.

I wouldn't dream of using CAM on it for everyday stuff. Programming a part takes less time than pulling measurements off the sample part!

I'd like to try it out, incase something more complicated comes across, like a sprocket or some sort of cam. I'm sure Phil or toolcat could whip it up on Mazatrol, but I'd be utterly hopeless.

I wouldn't dream of using CAM on it for everyday stuff. Programming a part takes less time than pulling measurements off the sample part!

I can understand that Ed. Good luck...

Brent

I tried the CAM in fusion 360 just to try. It makes some nice tool paths, but there are some kinks. Eg: it the job has an Inner Dia, the OD tool will try to get in despite the fact that the tool simulation showing collision. I could not try to find a way to avoid tool path with collision like in milling setup. Being a milling user, CAM setup was not difficult.

I tried the CAM in fusion 360 just to try. It makes some nice tool paths, but there are some kinks. Eg: it the job has an Inner Dia, the OD tool will try to get in despite the fact that the tool simulation showing collision. I could not try to find a way to avoid tool path with collision like in milling setup. Being a milling user, CAM setup was not difficult.

You may need to uncheck the "Allow Grooving" option to prevent this.

I know the price is good, but you probably picked the weakest turning product out there to start with.:D

Back