What's new
What's new

general cam question :)

deadlykitten

Banned
hello guys :) please consider a lathe with live tools, thus turning and milling axis : S + M

there is a situation where code for
one operation must be created accordingly to next operation

for example, if operations are :
... S,S or M,M, thus same operations, one after another, than
code_type_1 should be generated
... S,M, thus milling after turning, than code_type_2 should be generated
... M,S, thus milling before turning, than code_type_3 should be generated

please, is it possible to generate code in this manner ?

also, if yes, is it possible to generate code for "last operation"
accordingly to "1st operation" ? this is good when program is looped :)

code variants are :
... type 1 : G00 X=contast Z=constant M203
... type 2 : G00 X=contast Z=constant M203 M05 M63
... type 3 : G00 X=contast Z=constant M203 M109

please, answer even if not possible :) kindly !

What?

The code is going to be created according to the person programming it and what options the post processor is capable of outputting. If that fails there's always the option of a little fingerCAM to get everything where it needs to be.

You're right, looks it's on the BodCAD, unmentionable one and here too

I guess the cantina down in the antarctic got the latest shipment of hooch.

I have a question for you kitty:
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

hello guys :) please consider a lathe with live tools, thus turning and milling axis : S + M

there is a situation where code for
one operation must be created accordingly to next operation

for example, if operations are :
... S,S or M,M, thus same operations, one after another, than
code_type_1 should be generated
... S,M, thus milling after turning, than code_type_2 should be generated
... M,S, thus milling before turning, than code_type_3 should be generated

please, is it possible to generate code in this manner ?

also, if yes, is it possible to generate code for "last operation"
accordingly to "1st operation" ? this is good when program is looped :)

code variants are :
... type 1 : G00 X=contast Z=constant M203
... type 2 : G00 X=contast Z=constant M203 M05 M63
... type 3 : G00 X=contast Z=constant M203 M109

please, answer even if not possible :) kindly !

It sounds like you want a post processor that handles boolean IF and THEN statements, Mastercam can handle that, but it's all on the user to edit them. You can have the reseller help you as well.
The possibilities are endless,really.

hy mntdew, i am not so experienced with CAMs, and so i contacted some skilled guys and my Okuma dealer about that

however, few are on CTR codes, and if their postprocessor works, than is considered enough :)

The scenario is one for a lathe with twin spindles and live tools with what sounds like a Siemens control - possibly a 840c or 840d.
My Emco Maier Emcoturn 465 runs the 840c control and requires the nearly same codes for the same reasons... I too wish a Mastercam post was available for that config!

hy john_b :) so far i did not received a straight answer

some guys said yes, but without proof

others said maybe no, but without trying

... and requires the nearly same codes for the same reasons... I too wish a Mastercam post was available for that config!

for the question i raised inside this thread i have a solution, but i just wanna know if CAM can handle such stuff :)

idea is simple: using CAM or using codes

using CAM for that is out of my experience, so i posted this thread :) but i can use codes

so, my dear john_b, if you wish, i may be able to help you :)

Last edited:
this is not a common thing; i know few guys that use such CTR on Okuma

common behaviour is : if it works, don't touch it :)

such tricks are good to speeding up cycles, especially on mass production

once you get used to this, there is no going back to old style :)

Okuma delivers all required for custom CTR codes, on request :)

What exactly are you wanting? The appropriate M codes for a given operation to be output?

Or are you asking about having some M-codes triggered before the next operation starts, so you need some look ahead functionality?

I can't really give you an answer, because I don't really know what you are trying to accomplish. But, In my MCAM post for the Mori NL2500SY's we run here, I have the post outputting the correct M codes for whatever operation it is running on whichever spindle, and I also have it looking ahead to the next operation and posting out the "quick" m-codes to ramp spindles up and down, and turn some things off or on, while the turret is retracting and indexing. So, both of those things can be done.

hy :) yes, i know the codes, and i wish to make the CAM generate the lookaheads ...

i have x5 ; can you please help me configure it ?

my x5 was a gift :) and the guy that give it to me said, at that moment, that is enough to have the toolpath generated

i don't master CAM, but i understood now that is the postprocessor that should be edited :)

i can write all codes and conditions that need to be implemented, but i have to check first if i have the post and if i can edit it :) thank you for your help :)

So, I'm confused about what your goal is deadlykitten... You started this thread with what seemed to be a question about whether CAM would perform the logic argument you need. The answer is yes obviously, it's just a matter of money.

Later then though you suggest you are the answer man. Later yet then you lose focus and ramble a bit.

What do you need?

What do you need?

He needs to give more specifics about his machine and control environments in order that people who could help him might do so.
A good step here would be to ask what CAM others using the same machine configuration are getting good results from in a forum related to the machine type, posting machine specific questions without giving the machine specifics is a great recipe for getting no where fast, but then according to his location........ :D

Sorry john_B, i don't know why i did not receive an e-mail notification after your answer ... i saw it a few seconds ago when Nicolas dropped in :)

So, I'm confused about what your goal is deadlykitten

sorry, there is a point in this thread from where things go confuse, but things were clear for me ... sorry :)

there are some steps when you change "machining modes"; these steps may be located:
... after turret index ( pretty common )
... before & after turret index > this is faster, and this is the case i was talking about

i can do that by using parametrical code, thus by changing a single variable inside a general procedure :) at that moment i was curious how a CAM software can handle that, and i discovered that such things are called "lookahed" and i needed to edit the post, but i have no experience with this, and the guys that i know and could help me, are too far / busy :)

so i did not regard this as a must, but only as a potential ...

however, delivering such behaviours involves knowing the machine like your pocket :)
configuring a CAM to deliver them is desired by few, and not always achieved :)

difference between a "CAM generated program" and "parametric structure" is the downtime created by the last one :) on my "2do list" is written to check the downtime, but i can tell that is pretty fast :)

Back